Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
I drank the 25-45 sharps Cool aid, trying to reload, I bought a set of Lee dies, might be the problem. the case mouth is not opening enough to seat the 87 grain speer Hot core bullets! if I chamfer the case mouth it opens it up some but takes awhile to do 50 rounds, any help would be great! iv had more problems with this rifle & round then any other iv ever messed with!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
You load ammo without chamfering the mouth normally? One thing I"ve never skipped... only have to do it first time and then after trimming. Of course I try to avoid trimming period.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Sometimes I wont, but with this I realy have to work the case mouth on these! I hear you on the trimming!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Interesting. I just chamfered 10 284 cases. Was counting while doing them. Took 30 seconds appx.

If you are having to chamfer until they are really thin or sharp edges, something isn't right. Maybe neck thickness or such. I would sure get on the phone and call the die manufacturer and have a chat with tech folks. They deal with this daily and likely can tell you pretty quick what the deal is.

I"ve never not chamfered. Well thats not right, but it only took a few to watch copper shave off the case mouth etc... and it takes such little work. A few twirls or drop it on the case master...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I barely chamfer cases and shoot flat base bullets quite a bit. Makes me think the dies may be wacked. Measure the expander ball, and a necked case. It could be to tight.

By the way, I'm curious about your little project there. I wanted a bit heavier bullet out of an AR15, but so far the 5.56 with 64gr have been ok. I've been told the 77gr OTM is even better, so I balked at the Sharps.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Thanks Fellows Im thinking something, not right with the die! need to give Lee a Call. didnt want to spend 200 on a set of Redding dies, but they are nice Dies! as I have them in other cals.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by BigNate
I barely chamfer cases and shoot flat base bullets quite a bit. Makes me think the dies may be wacked. Measure the expander ball, and a necked case. It could be to tight.

This. Maybe the die got assembled with a 6mm expander ball by accident?

I'd start by measuring the expander ball, as well as neck diameter before and after seating a bullet (comparing the neck diameter difference shouldn't be more than about .005" on the high end).

I do always chamfer case mouths though.

Last edited by Yondering; 10/17/19.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BigNate

By the way, I'm curious about your little project there. I wanted a bit heavier bullet out of an AR15, but so far the 5.56 with 64gr have been ok. I've been told the 77gr OTM is even better, so I balked at the Sharps.

And the 77TMK even better... I also thought about buying the 25-45 Sharps, but found a sweet deal on a 6WOA. Thats actually a better cartridge for me because its so easy to work with.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
The 87 Speers have a sharp cornered base, at least the batches I have. I like to make sure there is a good chamfer on my 250 Savage brass before I seat those bullets.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
What is the OD of the neck as it comes out of the die?

Politics is War by Other Means
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is this once fired in your rifle?
Can you hand seat a bullet in a fired, unsized case?
If not, neck thickness is possibly unsafe.
I would figure this out before I shot again.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Yes after fired the bullet will seat in the fired case. even with the ammo I bought from Sharps Co, so its the die! Thanks for the info!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

615 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1234, 73 invisible), 2,572 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,870
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.