Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
This could get interesting. South Dakota is strongly a right to life state.

Sioux Falls man faces manslaughter charges after accidental shooting

SIOUX FALLS, S.D. (KSFY) - Sheldon Pettibone is facing manslaughter charges after shooting a woman and killing her unborn baby.

The charges stem from an incident that happened on Sunday afternoon.

Police say Pettibone was cleaning a gun when it went off and struck Melanie Pettibone in the leg. The bullet traveled through her uterus, striking the child. KSFY TV

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
nighthawk

I know where that giant pheasant is located. Lived there from 1992-2002. Still have good friends there.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Lived there for about four months but that was in 1980. Audited the electric company for the dept of energy. Most notable thing, one day a big storm came up. Found out later tornado passed by just outside town. Everybody sheltered in the basement but nobody told the auditors who were surrounded by windows on the second floor. Auditors get no respect. smile

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cleaning a gun and it went off. Can't be much of a bigger idiot. He should not own guns. Seems the right charge.

Gun Owners of America
Escapee's RV Club
Elks
Moose
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nope, manslaughter presumes the death of a person and since an unborn fetus is not a person manslaughter is inappropriate. We are talking something she could have terminated herself legally at some point, so how does manslaughter fit? An unborn fetus is a person or it is not, there is no in between. It is not a person because the woman wishes to bring it to term, and not a person if she wishes to terminate.

Be consistent.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Traveler52
Cleaning a gun and it went off. Can't be much of a bigger idiot. He should not own guns. Seems the right charge.

I have never figured out how you go about cleaning a loaded firearm.

This idiot had a loaded firearm (Rule #1) , pointed it at a person (Rule #2) and pulled the trigger. (Rule #3)

Question is, as always, was it REALLY an accident.

Last edited by jnyork; 10/17/19.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Not worried about any charge specifics, but the idiot should do some time.

1Minute
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The unborn are indeed persons.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jnyork

I have never figured out how you go about cleaning a loaded firearm.

This idiot had a loaded firearm (Rule #1) , pointed it at a person (Rule #2) and pulled the trigger. (Rule #3)

Question is, as always, was it REALLY an accident.

I agree......especially on that last one. Seems like a convenient way to get rid of a perceived problem.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
There was a story in the news last year where a female obstetrician was pulling a baby out of a woman giving birth. She had all but the head. She pulled a little too hard, and the head came off, remaining in her uterus. All were horrified at the headless baby in the doctor’s hands. The mother had to be immediately taken to surgery to remove her newborn baby’s head.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Armednfree
Nope, manslaughter presumes the death of a person and since an unborn fetus is not a person

What makes you say that? Personhood and the rights of that person to be protected by law is the question.

Which explains a lot.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Nope, manslaughter presumes the death of a person and since an unborn fetus is not a person

What makes you say that? Personhood and the rights of that person to be protected by law is the question.

Well, if the unborn fetus is a person then EVERY abortion (other than spontaneous) should be treated as either manslaughter or, if deliberate, as murder.

E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Grumulkin got it right. The baby is human or not. Can’t have it both ways. Ed k

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
There was a story in the news last year where a female obstetrician was pulling a baby out of a woman giving birth. She had all but the head. She pulled a little too hard, and the head came off, remaining in her uterus. All were horrified at the headless baby in the doctor’s hands. The mother had to be immediately take to surgery to remove her newborn baby’s head.

That’s the worst thing I’ve heard in.....well, maybe ever.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The baby is human. Birth results in no ontological change whatsoever.

And yes, abortion is the voluntary killing of a human.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

I remember something happening like this when I was a boy. I believe that it was an uncle cleaning a handgun; there was an accidental discharge, and a nephew was killed. I don't recall any charges in that case, and while the negligence on the part of the uncle cannot be denied, I can't see where they would have helped the family through an already terrible situation.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

What defines a person. That would be a human being who is born and is alive. (Blacks Dictionary). And I am talking first breath. My point is you can't call it a person for one purpose and not a person for another.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Grumulkin

Well, if the unborn fetus is a person then EVERY abortion (other than spontaneous) should be treated as either manslaughter or, if deliberate, as murder.
Yes, they should be because that's exactly what they are.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ERK
Grumulkin got it right. The baby is human or not. Can’t have it both ways. Ed k

100%

And yet, in many states an unborn person can be killed legally,
while a person who is responsible for accidentally causing the
death of one, is imprisoned.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
What defines a person. That would be a human being who is born and is alive. (Blacks Dictionary). And I am talking first breath. My point is you can't call it a person for one purpose and not a person for another.

Because somebody wrote it in a dictionary? At one time quickening, when the fetus was capable of moving, was widely accepted as the beginning of life. Now we have ultrasound, fetal heart monitors and even tiny little cameras. Exactly what is it about birth that's definitive? Natural birth? Caesarean? Maybe six months after birth? After all the former fetus is still dependent on the mother for everything during that period.

But actually the question is at what stage of development does the government have an interest in protecting the rights fetus? And how does that contrast with tprotecting the rights of the mother? (See how Roe nicely ducked the question of when does life begin?)

Which explains a lot.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

626 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1234, 12344mag, 1lesfox, 1beaver_shooter, 79 invisible), 2,426 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,310
Posts18,449,168
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.