Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Several years ago leupold aquired the redfield name. They relaunched the brand to great fanfare. offering lower priced optics than the mainline leupold stuff, but still assembled in USA. This seemed like a great idea, offering a storied brand name at a decent price. Fast forward till now. None of their scopes are carried in stores locally. They appear to be heading the way of Weaver or tasco. We have sportsman's wharehouse, cabelas, scheels, and quite a few local shops. Gone is the Redfield brand again. Recently I wanted to compare reticles on the zeiss v4 model. This is an amazing scope to look through and I have really wanted to try one out for quite a while. Only cabelas offers any ziess scopes anymore in my area. overall I am seeing the amount of space for rifle scopes shrinking. Its seems like some sort adjustment needs to be made. I think zeiss is hanging their hat on the old school german image. If you look at their site you see guys in europe with olive drab wool hats on chasing stag or something. This image isn't selling the younger crowd. I also think zeiss products use a cheap looking paint sheen on many of their products and generally need to figure out a way to snazz up their optics to the consumer.

BP-B2

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
The Redfield’s are ok scopes, but the problem is, the prices have creeped up. Not a lot, but just enough that they are within $20-$30 of the Leupolds. If you have the choice between a Redfield with crinkly black paint, or a nicer looking Leupold with a gold ring, and the price diff is that paltry, what do you think most will pick??

Leupold needs to shoot for a $50 or more price differential, if folks are to keep getting Redfields.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by fburgtx
The Redfield’s are ok scopes, but the problem is, the prices have creeped up. Not a lot, but just enough that they are within $20-$30 of the Leupolds. If you have the choice between a Redfield with crinkly black paint, or a nicer looking Leupold with a gold ring, and the price diff is that paltry, what do you think most will pick??

Leupold needs to shoot for a $50 or more price differential, if folks are to keep getting Redfields.

I think that sums it up nicely. It seems to me like the Revolution series is a duplication of the Rifleman series. I know the specs on them were EXACTLY the same a few years ago when I checked out 3 different modles.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I really like the Revolution scopes when I can find them used for $125 or less. That is a great value considering that they are backed by Leupold warranty. For over $200 new, not so much.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TnBigBore
I really like the Revolution scopes when I can find them used for $125 or less. That is a great value considering that they are backed by Leupold warranty.

Yup ... I have 2 Revos. 2-7 and 4-12. I like'em both. Good deal. You'd think Leupold would carry on the Redfield line and drop the lower Leupolds to avoid duplication.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A Revolution 3-9 was the next scope I bought after they came out, within 6 months IIRC. Price plus glowing reviews were the main reasons. Paid $150, I think. Found it had the usual Leupold vagueness in the adjustments at first, then it settled in. At the time, this was pretty much expected. Won't tolerate it now, and don't have to since there are better, reliable options at the same or lower cost. The same applies to the parent company's stuff, though the few still in use here are doing okay in the light duty they get.

What fresh Hell is this?
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I really like the Revolution scopes when I can find them used for $125 or less. That is a great value considering that they are backed by Leupold warranty. For over $200 new, not so much.

Yep and what fburt said too.

Son’s 257 Rob has a 3-9x40mm Revolution w/ their ballistic reticle that I got a deal on here and it’s great.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I bought three 3-9X Revolutions last summer at North 40 Outfitters in north Idaho on clearance for $95 a piece. I like them. Were they all made in the USA?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Looks like there is no focus on Redfield by Leupold. Sure they still offer some models for sale but they are still using their 2015 catalog on their website.

https://www.redfield.com/

Last edited by silver78; 10/18/19.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I think zeiss is hanging their hat on the old school german image. If you look at their site you see guys in europe with olive drab wool hats on chasing stag or something. This image isn't selling the younger crowd. I also think zeiss products use a cheap looking paint sheen on many of their products and generally need to figure out a way to snazz up their optics to the consumer.

Cheap looking paint? LOL. I see more Zeiss and Swarovski optics in most gun stores then I see S&B for example. They cater to a relatively small market. They don't need to snazz up anything to sell their stuff.

Who cares what the younger crowd wants?

Leupold could have done something with the Redfield brand, they chose to minimally market it. They are not doing such a hot job marketing and designing their US made scopes.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Zeiss is definitely European. They are also the first brand I think of when I want a quality optic. About to take delivery in my first S&B and will be in the market for a Swarovski soon

The redfield brand never appealed to me much. I’ve still got a few Leupolds that I’ve had good success and luck with. Would be wary of a new one today but the older ones serve a great purpose

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by SuperCub
I really like the Revolution scopes when I can find them used for $125 or less. That is a great value considering that they are backed by Leupold warranty.

Yup ... I have 2 Revos. 2-7 and 4-12. I like'em both. Good deal. You'd think Leupold would carry on the Redfield line and drop the lower Leupolds to avoid duplication.

^^^^^^This^^^^^^

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EdM
I bought three 3-9X Revolutions last summer at North 40 Outfitters in north Idaho on clearance for $95 a piece. I like them. Were they all made in the USA?

The best I can tell from doing a lot of reading is that final assembly takes place at the Leupold plant. Like so many other things made in the USA, they do have foreign parts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's why Leupold had to change "made" to "assembled."

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
I thought Leupold quit making Redfield. How else do we explain the surge in Leupold quality?!?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by EdM

The best I can tell from doing a lot of reading is that final assembly takes place at the Leupold plant. Like so many other things made in the USA, they do have foreign parts.

Probably made in a Chinese sweat shop by folks on their day off from Nike.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
We have had excellent results from the Redfield Revolution series. Much better than the Leupolds that I've had. Maybe just lucky or an anomaly.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
I think zeiss is hanging their hat on the old school german image. If you look at their site you see guys in europe with olive drab wool hats on chasing stag or something. This image isn't selling the younger crowd. I also think zeiss products use a cheap looking paint sheen on many of their products and generally need to figure out a way to snazz up their optics to the consumer.

Cheap looking paint? LOL. I see more Zeiss and Swarovski optics in most gun stores then I see S&B for example. They cater to a relatively small market. They don't need to snazz up anything to sell their stuff.

Leupold could have done something with the Redfield brand, they chose to minimally market it. They are not doing such a hot job marketing and designing their US made scopes.

S&B is never and probably will never been in any major store around me. IMO they have a funky product line that is difficult to understand. I think they badly need to just simplify things. its pretty clear they don't really care about the american market and being a larger company. Maybe they are happy overcharging and getting insane prices for scopes. I am still struggling to be convinced why their optics are 50% more money than nightforce.

YES many zeiss products look plain and cheap. I recently looked at some of their new RF binoculars. They are the best on the market. The paint on the bridges had orange peel and they had the exterior look of something put together in china. They don't look like high end units in many cases. Swaro on the other hand, They have always looked very high end with their rubber armoring. Maybe changing their colors from black would help a ton.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

S&B is never and probably will never been in any major store around me. IMO they have a funky product line that is difficult to understand. I think they badly need to just simplify things. its pretty clear they don't really care about the american market and being a larger company. Maybe they are happy overcharging and getting insane prices for scopes. I am still struggling to be convinced why their optics are 50% more money than nightforce.

YES many zeiss products look plain and cheap. I recently looked at some of their new RF binoculars. They are the best on the market. The paint on the bridges had orange peel and they had the exterior look of something put together in china. They don't look like high end units in many cases. Swaro on the other hand, They have always looked very high end with their rubber armoring. Maybe changing their colors from black would help a ton.

Yes you are struggling allright. Might help if you actually purchased said object and not read an innanet review.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I am going to educate you not that it will sink in. S&B and Zeiss make their own glass. Swarovski buys their glass from Zeiss. All S&B makes is rifle scopes, not costume jewelry, binoculars, spotting scopes or rangefinders. HINT

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
819 members (06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 1234, 12308300, 10gaugemag, 78 invisible), 3,227 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,713
Posts18,400,305
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.