Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
BP-B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Yep. First or second week of December will find me once again in east central SD. I’m looking forward to it, brother in law says there’s lots of birds again so I’m sure it’ll be good. 5 years and 5 three day trips and I’ve never not limited out, hope I can hold my average.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Starting tomorrow and frequently thereafter. Have a great season, gents.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
my son, sil's, and bonus sons (and I) leave Sunday for 5 days of pheasant hunting in south Dakota. this is a trip we make every year. i greatly enjoy watching these young men leave the worries of family, kids,and jobs behind while they enjoy lots of shooting and just guy time. we use an outfitter with guides/dogs and have a blast. my treat for now, and hoping they pick up the tab as we all get older. i hope all who read this have a memorable bird season.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TheKid
Yep. First or second week of December

Like to gamble huh? Some time between Thanksgiving and Christmas it's a safe bet we'll get clobbered.

Everybody have fun and be safe.

-- One of the peasants.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Originally Posted by TheKid
Yep. First or second week of December

Like to gamble huh? Some time between Thanksgiving and Christmas it's a safe bet we'll get clobbered.

Everybody have fun and be safe.

-- One of the peasants.

We always go then because we’re done hunting big game down here right about then. Plus there’s no competition from other hunters because nobody else is dumb enough to go then. smile

One year a ground blizzard was getting wound up and we were headed for the truck to get the heck out of there. I shot a left, right, left for a limit right as we circled back! Sometimes it’s better to be lucky!

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Some of us are still looking for deer then.
East river any deer Start: Nov 23, 2019 End: Dec 8, 2019
Additional season for antlerles deer Start: Dec 14, 2019 End: Dec 22, 2019
And of course muzzle loader and archery are open all December.

Which explains a lot.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
A few of us will be huntng near Gettysburg, S.D., during the second week of November. I’ve never been out there, so I’m pretty stoked about it. Been hunting waterfowl for years, but never gone after pheasants.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Gettysburg has always been a good area, emjoy. Be prepared for any kind of weather. can be mild or cold with snow. And can change quickly.

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If I go, it will be a pheasant/ ice fishing cast and blast in December or January. I'm not a huge pheasant hunter but I will go. More interested in the ice fishing.

I hunted SD pheasants every year from 1994-2010. I hunted 1998 and 2004 when there was a rooster behind every blade of grass. I'm pretty sure in 1998 my in laws wintered on pheasants.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Sure. We go mid-December in the central part of the state with all the inherent weather risks. One year in blowing, freezing sleet changing to snow all the semi-Auto’s began to malfunction. ‘Course we were too.

Always do well.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Knew you'd be up of course. Haven't checked since the opener but expectations were for good hunting in the usual hot spots though overall down 17% on the road count.

Which explains a lot.
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Just returned from private ranch near Pierre. We had very good hunting success but bad weather - light snow and rain. We limited out on two of the three days we hunted. Lots of standing water in crop fields and low lying areas. Bring warm clothes and waterproof footware.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, the weather sucks this year. The ground is saturated so every shower leaves puddles and today we're running a good 20 degrees below normal. On the other hand it beats the year a lot of dogs were lost because of heat exhaustion opening week.

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Just returned from a 3 day hunt north of Pierre. Had light rain one day, saw lots of birds. Was a little wet in some areas but not to bad.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 470Evans
Just returned from a 3 day hunt north of Pierre. Had light rain one day, saw lots of birds. Was a little wet in some areas but not to bad.
Stumble across any prairie chickens? I hunted there a decade or so ago primarily focused on chickens. Neat country. When we found pheasants we found LOTS of them.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Didn't see any that I identified as prairie chickens.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 470Evans
Didn't see any that I identified as prairie chickens.
Copy. We were hunting south of the town of Pierre on the National Grasslands for the chickens.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
As disgusting and uncouth as they are, we are still not allowed to hunt peasants in my State.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
South Dakota hunting licenses sales drop by 26,000

RAPID CITY, S.D. (AP) - Officials say South Dakota has sold nearly 26,000 fewer hunting licenses this year, which has cost the state more than $1 million in lost revenue.

State Department of Game, Fish and Parks official Heather Villa told the Rapid City Journal that the long winter, flooding and a decline in the pheasant population could be to blame. However, she acknowledged that the drop in license sales could also be a continuation of a decades-long decline in hunting, trapping and fishing.

The department generally gets about half its budget from license revenue, and it adopted a resolution last month to examine the recruitment, retention and reactivation of hunters, anglers and trappers.

Gov. Kristi Noem has created a live-trap giveaway and set a bounty on certain predators to encourage hunting. ksfy

Which explains a lot.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
731 members (204guy, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 75 invisible), 2,931 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,770
Posts18,401,519
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.