Print Thread
Hop To
#14210661 10/18/19
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Last year the local thieves came onto our property and stole our 2 person tree stand. Wife and I figured if they stole it once they would steal it again. Last week started building this. Floor sides are 2x6 with joists on 15 inch centers covered up with 1 inch decking boards. Sides are plywood. Floor is 5x5 and sides are 35 inches tall. Main posts are 4x4x12. X braces are 12 foot 2x4's and cross braces on the bottom are 2x6's. Had to cut down about a dozen small trees to get the tractor to the stand so we could use the FEL to stand it up. Once it was up slid a piece of 2x12 under each leg as a base and only had minor leveling to do. Using the 2x6's as cross bases allows me to use the tractor to lift each side individually so I can fine tune the leveling as it settles.
All wood is pressure treated and exterior screws were used everywhere except for ringed nails that hold the decking boards in place. Only thing remaining is to connect a strap to the holes on the metal brackets then screw in stainless 5 inch long eye bolts into the 4 trees closest and use ratcheting straps to help anchor in all 4 corners for safety reasons. Or do you think this is overkill?
Seems stable as a rock as both the wife and I were on top trying to shake it around and it didn't even wiggle. The stand in the tree had us limited to about 150 degrees of hunting in front of us and slightly to each side. We both missed great opportunities at big deer that were behind us as we could not twist around to get a shot off. Now we have 360 degrees as we sit in the nice swivel chair. Might add a roof but for now both of us like the openness. We have a ground blind close to this in case the weather really sucks. Estimate we have about $750 in materials including the aluminum ladder we bought for it. This was our first attempt at building a stand and think it came out pretty good.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Looks good !

Be surprised how much longer you can sit and hunt in something like that without fidgeting around trying to get comfortable.

Your mind is your primary weapon. Never let it get rusty.

Endowment Member NRA
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
With no roof, did you put in floor drains or leave a little gap between floorboards?

Last edited by MikeL2; 10/18/19.
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Gap between each floor board. Used a large nail as a spacer

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
What size TV are going to put in it? Refrigerator for beer and a heater? laugh

Last edited by StoneCutter; 10/18/19.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I bet those mofo's ain't gonna steal that. That thing probably weighs over 1/2 ton.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Do you guys think I need to tie down each of the corners or is it stable enough to handle 20 mph winds?

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I would put one guy wire from the middle of the deck and put it in some concrete.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Damn that's nice. I can't see that thing blowing over in 20-30 mph winds. Looks heavy as fugg.

If youre really OCD about it, slump two sandbags over those 2x6s at each corner. That will add another 400-500 bottom pounds to it.

Let deer assassin come and obliterate all your does and button bucks. You'll get major hero cred over on the mothership. crazy

Laughing

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nice!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Do you guys think I need to tie down each of the corners or is it stable enough to handle 20 mph winds?

If you can put a screw in anchor in the middle that would be more than enough. Ratchet strap, come along, turnbuckle. Middle of stand straight down.

With that foot print I think it would be hard to turn it over even if not anchored

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Nice ..
I'd not worry about tipping over in the woods - out in an open field - yeah .

A roof will be enjoyed .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Looks very nice; nobody is gonna walk off with that one. 😊

That’s a lot of sail area and you’d be surprised what a good storm can do. On our lease the ones that have been blown over have had an anchor in the center of the legs. Those long legs provide a long lever to work on a center anchor. We’ve had tripods with just a swivel chair and a rail blown over with a center anchor. Overkill is better😊

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
The stand will last longer with a good roof, and it would make hunting in the elements much easier.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
We had powerful winds all day today. If the stand is still there tomorrow it will be safe for a long time. I like the idea of the center anchor though. Might add one as insurance. Will consider adding a roof but if we do it will be after deer season is over. Trying to give the area a rest since we spent almost a week building it. Wife is happy, first day she climbed up and sat down she watched two deer within 5 minutes of sitting down.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Looks very nice; nobody is gonna walk off with that one. 😊

That’s a lot of sail area and you’d be surprised what a good storm can do. On our lease the ones that have been blown over have had an anchor in the center of the legs. Those long legs provide a long lever to work on a center anchor. We’ve had tripods with just a swivel chair and a rail blown over with a center anchor. Overkill is better😊

My buddies in alabama have over 75 box blinds that have been there at least as long as I have gone there 8 years and not a one has been blown over in all that time. They all have a center guy wire and are at the edge of food plots and in the timber. They are only 12' foot high though.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
After deer season ends will mix up 3 bags of concrete and pour it in a hole underneath the floor and attach the floor to the concrete with a ratchet strap.
Good idea

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

698 members (117LBS, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 71 invisible), 2,876 guests, and 1,179 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,160
Posts18,465,139
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.