Print Thread
Hop To
M
mjbgalt Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Looking to get into using a crossbow but don't want to spend a bunch only to decide i don't like it.

Got any recommendations? Carbon express or centerpoint or?

BP-B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I'd recommend a used Excalibur.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I like my Wicked ridge

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Looking to get into using a crossbow but don't want to spend a bunch only to decide i don't like it.

Got any recommendations? Carbon express or centerpoint or?

I hooked up gophergunner a couple years back with a used Excalibur. He does not seem to be using it and may be willing to part with it.

Go Excalibur and get a used one. You won't have much money into it and pretty well anything wrong with it is easily and cheaply fixable without sending it back. Excalibur has been good about supporting their warranty on bows bought used.just in case something you can't fix is wrong. Mine is very accurate and kills deer quite nicely. If you get one, the new Rage X-Treme heads look good. The factory original scopes that came with the earlier Matrix bows were decidedly awful. so you may have to plan on replacing that. A second focal plane scope with the top of the post below the horizontal wire can be made to function as a second aim point by adjusting the magnification, so a usable rifle scope can easily be substituted. You do not need more than 3x magnification. You also want a lighted nock on the arrows. Keep those thoughts in mind when looking at used scopes because you will likely get them in the deal. Lighted nocks will run $8-$10. Arrows typically run about $10 minimum, heads more like $13-$15 each. A good USABLE scope will go ~$100, a Flemish string will run ~$30.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
IMHO- Centerpoint, followed by Carbon Express

I've owned, shot, broken, and repaired two Carbon Express CX series crossbows. I successfully killed deer with both over several years, but one x-bow cracked the limbs when the string jumped the nock on the bolt. May have been my fault in seating the bolt, I don't know. The repair shop had to file the limbs down to get them to fully seated in the limb pockets, all four limbs had rubbed and squeaked loudly when cocked from new.

The other CX sheared some of the hardware on the barrel, nothing hard to replace or expensive, but annoying.

They were both accurate to 50 yards, and I really can't complain too much about either one, I use mine regularly through out the summer practice season, and through the early/late seasons.

Several of the budget minded hunters in our deer management group have Centerpoints, and have been happy with the x-bows, one I'm thinking of is on it's fourth season, and gets used regularly.

I've switched over to Excalibers Micros, but TN is right, a good used Excaliber would be a good starter - only complaint I have with the older models is that they tend to be pretty loud - louder than many current x-bows.

An elderly family friend borrowed my Micro and killed a bull elk in Idaho three weeks ago, full pass through at 40 yards. Bull never flinched until the bolt hit him - died with 30-40 yards of the hit, using the Excliber "Bolt Cutters" BH.

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
spend the money and buy a Raven x-bow,R- 10 `s cost a little less.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The reason I ponied up for an Excalibur is because they need very little maintenance, are semi-indestructable, and anything that needs doing I can do myself. That applies to used ones too. Even some of the new ones are priced pretty reasonably.

I doubt you'll be disappointed with a good one. I'm in my second season. Killed two deer last year and one the other day. Still have two tags. The nicest part of Fall is coming up very soon and I'd rather spend it hunting deer than squirrels.

What fresh Hell is this?
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I also chose a Ravin R10. Fast, accurate, relative light weight, easy to cock with the crank--all reasons why you will decide in favor of crossbows. Search around and you can get a good deal on one, like I did.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Whacked Number 4 with my Excalibur yesterday evening. Took the shot you're not supposed to: apparently head-on at 20 yards. Entered in front of the left shoulder, exited just behind the right. Massive carnage.

My first successful shot with the Luminock. Very cool watching it streak in!

What fresh Hell is this?
M
mjbgalt Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Ended up getting a centerpoint that a local store had a special on. $199

IC B3

M
mjbgalt Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
This one is the spectre 375. In 4 shots it was perfectly sighted in and even at 30 yards it blows them thru my target. Crossbows have come a long way since I used then in the mid 90s.

And 375 fps is FAST. Wow.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mine's supposed to be 380, but according to the mark on the scope, it dialed in at 330. No matter, it's a death machine.

The "400 fps" target I bought only lasted a short time. The Block xbow target stops them, but it ain't easy getting them out. Haven't touched the scope since I sighted it in last season.

If only they were a bit lighter.....

Got a little 45lb recurve I shoot sometimes for fun. This things for making meat.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
mjbgalt Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Yeah. Going to shoot it at 40 and see how flat it is. Up to 30 yards I am still using the top crosshair lol

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You will like this.

You will buy a spendier one.

Start saving your pennies.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
mjbgalt Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
The only disappointment is that in the 90s I had a Horton that i could cock and decock manually. This one is so damn heavy to cock I have to use the rope cocker and its just not as much fun to fight it every time i want to shoot.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Let me add..

You will buy a crank, especially if you get a heavier one.

I can cock mine with the rope and that's what I carry for reloads in the field, but for practice and my first shot while hunting, I use the crank because multiple shots usung the rope will hurt my back. I can uncock with the rope, but it's a risky business IMO. I just bang one into the target when I get home.

What fresh Hell is this?
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
You’ll shoot yer’ eye out. Seriously, do you wanna take that chance?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
M
mjbgalt Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Huh?

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I've got a Barnett Recruit for sale in the classifieds. Shot about a dozen times. Nice little Xbow, just too small for me. Check it out or PM me for details. $210

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
183 members (32_20fan, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 24 invisible), 2,065 guests, and 973 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,648
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.