Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
EQFD193 Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Got back last night from a Townsend MT archery trip with Kelly Flynn of Hidden Hollow Hideaway. A great trip with a first class guy and a true steward of the land he watches over. Elk were thick all over the low country and I had more than one opportunity at very good bulls that didn't quite work out. As my bad luck would have it I did unfortunately get a 50 yd broadside shot at a very nice 6 x 6 who turned away as I released and the arrow hit way back...we spent the next two days tracking / searching for that bull with a negative result.

The rule in his camp is you wound a bull and your down to killing a cow which I did on Thursday afternoon at 40 yds while a nice 5 x 5 stood at 10 yds broadside oblivious to what was happening frown . All in all a great trip with a good bunch of guys....I hope to book it again next year.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Patron member, NRA, Life Member SCI,
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Congratulations

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Nice honest hunt and report from someone whom admits to a mistake. Unlike another 24hr poster whom hunts in a pen and killed a "livestock" bull with a price tag on it's ear.

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Thanks Hector, trust me, if there was any way to change the outcome of that event it would be done. We spent two days much of it on our hands and knees searching for sign to continue the track. I can't for the life of me understand how good a blood trail just suddenly stops...I mean right after a bedding area is found pooled with blood !! A heartbreaker for certain that I more than likely mortally wounded that bull and did not find him.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
EQ,very few bowhunters can say they have never lost an animal,it happens.Sux ,but it happens.
anywho,you redeemed yourself with the cow.
Well done.Should fill the freezer nicely

IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Congrats on your hunt. We live just up the road from there, about 10 miles.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Nice to see you got one and more elk than I ever got. A bow is a lesser weapon and that is why bow hunters wound animals. I was pulling back on a little bud last year and I made a noise when I was ready to shoot. It looked around and was a bit surprised with its head up. Just a split second before I shot it took a step, moving its head and body forward. That split second made him move a foot forward and a gut shot as a result. So, dont feel so bad about your elk, it happens. How much was the hunt if you dont mind me asking?

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
D
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
D
Sorry about the bull it happens
Congrats on the cow!

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Thanks Dan, At least I did pick the largest cow in the bunch. The better news is that a buddy of mine driving out and is rifle hunting with the same Outfitter in a couple of weeks. He built a large cooler on his trailer (4' x 8' plywood insulated) and will drive it back to Calicoon NY where I will pick it up.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Is that an illuminated nock?

I am archery hunting in Montana now and would use one if it is legal?

Congratulations on the cow!

U might be surprised the bull may still be alive.........if they don't bleed to death it's hard for an arrow to kill. Not much energy in an arrow to cause tissue damage, the damaged tissue gets avascular and gangrene sets in. Arrow wounds do not exhibit this much at all.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Yes it is, apparently now legal in Montana...You might be right about the bull but my gut says it was a mortal wound,

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by EQFD193
Yes it is, apparently now legal in Montana...You might be right about the bull but my gut says it was a mortal wound,

Guts lie! Blood not so much, it can though. You admittedly say you hit it far back. There is no traumatic impact with a bow, just slicing. The thing about slicing is it clots and heals really well.

He would want to bed down for sure. Knowing I made a bad shot, I would have pulled out of there immediately! Let him bed and don't push him. If he isn't their in the morning he is more than likely going to make it.

I think most of us have made a bad shot like this. It sucks, it haunts you, and you never forget it. If it doesn't you aren't an ethical man.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Congrats on the cow.
On 50 yard shots, lots of room for things to go wrong.
Most places I’ve hunted, you hit a bull or cow in what the guide considers fatal, you are done.

NRA Patron
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Thanks dale06....Hey Montana Thanks....we did in fact, as per your suggestion pull back and left him alone overnight...found his bed the next day(soaked with blood). I hope you are correct and he lives on...I know stuff happens but for me it's a bitter pill to swallow.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by EQFD193
Thanks dale06....Hey Montana Thanks....we did in fact, as per your suggestion pull back and left him alone overnight...found his bed the next day(soaked with blood). I hope you are correct and he lives on...I know stuff happens but for me it's a bitter pill to swallow.

It is never an easy pill to swallow for sure.

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Yes Sir ! frown

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Congrat. very nice.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sorry you missed your bull, EQFD193. But, glad you got the cow and the experience. Seeing the other bulls had to be exhilarating, too.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Nice cow.

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
It sure was a great trip Greg in spite of the lost bull...into the elk everyday. Thanks ribka !

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

415 members (10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 163bc, 35 invisible), 2,577 guests, and 1,021 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,804
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.