Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Trane, Carrier, Rheem, Lennox, other...?

Time to replace the old freon a/c with an R410A unit and the gas furnace is on its last legs as well so I'm going to get the whole works replaced. Will be getting a top and bottom unit which will plug right into the old ductwork. Going off of the idea that, like firearms, cars or any mechanical device, there is more than one brand that is reliable and can do the job but is there any brand of a/c and furnace in particular you would stay away from?

Also, I understand that lesser known brands are made by the same manufacturer but use the same internals, such as Bryant uses the same components as Carrier (according to the ever reliable net wink ), is that true? Dealing with HVAC salesmen right now and getting bids so it's good to know how to separate the good stuff from the chaff.

PS: Already read up on converting R410A from R22 and what that takes. Also talked to a service guy who kind of gave me a lot of straight skinny on what I need in general - capacity and such for my 1100 sq. ft house - vs. what the sales guys want to sell me.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Personally I think most of them provide a reasonable product. Biggest scam in HVAC is the efficiency issue. No way I'm buying a 99 or 100% efficient heater. They just don't seem to last as long. I don't want better than 85% or worse than 80%. I think that range get's you the best bang for the buck. Make sure you deal with folks who have been in business for a long time. If you don't get the job done, you won't last.

As far as I'm concerned the biggest scam in HVAC is that you always need to replace the heater (or whatever) If they can't replace parts to keep the thing running, in what you have what kind of warranty are they going to provide. Keep them running as long as possible is the song I sing. If they can't do that I don't want to do business with that company. AND, I LET THEM KNOW HOW I FEEL ABOUT IT!!! I don't like a "repair man" to come out and now he's a salesman and doesn't want to do his job.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Tonight or this weekend I'm going to get on my local "Next door Neighbor" social media site to get reviews from folks in the area. A-1 is who installed and serviced the unit so far but the sales guy gave me a quote which required a lot of stoicism not to say "AYFKM!?". Now he could be in the same ballpark as the rest, we'll see. Just starting the new buying process and the more forearmed the better.

On the energy stuff, that's what the service guy told me. He saw my steel targets in the garage and we sat and shot the bull for 15-20 minutes about shooting then I asked him for his advice on what to get. He recommended an 80% 13 seer unit for my little casa so that jives with some of the stuff I've been reading as well.

As far as repair or replace, the a/c and furnace was installed in 1998 so it's probably time, parts and pieces have been replaced already and the a/c is leaking freon at $200/pound. I'm getting a bunch of stuff replaced and fixed up around the house before retiring so I don't have to worry about for a while.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
We have had a Trane for 25 years and can't say anything bad about it.

Where my wife works they have Carriers and they work good when they are working.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had a new system installed in 2018. Or 17, CRS. No matter.

I was advised to stick with the simpler system with a lower SEER rating because all the extra controls in higher SEER rated systems can be troublesome and expensive to deal with when they fail. I believe in SIMPLE.

Another thing I learned is that most of the guts that actually do the work come from the same manufacturers---things like condensers, compressors, etc.

IMO, the quality of the installation is more important than the brand stickers on the equipment.

YMMV.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Go with the "KISS" principle every time.

KISS: Keep It Simple, Stupid.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
We have a Trane heat pump/ac and it’s been excellent except it quit working this past end of “summer”. Actually the fan quit working so I figured it was the fan motor since it’s always the more expensive fix whenever something breaks on me. I figured I’d replace the capacitors since the 2 of them combined cost $70 at the electrical supply company and I wanted new capacitors anyway even if the fan motor was the culprit. I plugged in the the capacitors and the unit sprung to life humming away like normal. The unit has run flawlessly since then and instead of the $500-1500 I was quoted it cost me $70 and a couple hours learning more about the unit then I ever desired. They’re relatively simple to work on so as long as you can get parts it ain’t tough to work on yourself.

The parts like capacitors and fan motor were universal brands that ran within certain parameters and as long as the parts matched the parameters they were good to go.

I realize that I probably didn’t help you with your replacement decision but our Trane has worked very well heating and cooling our 3500sq/ft home and repairing it wasn’t terribly complicated. Our unit was installed when the house was built in 2007 so it’s almost 20 years old.

Good luck with your decision and you’ve come to the right place for advice as I’m sure you’ll get a lot of great advice from the collective knowledge of the campfire. 👍

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
BLG Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
American Standard. Trane parts on the inside at a cheaper price.

Did mine 4 years ago. 5 ton condenser, new horizontal air handler (old unit was a verticle in the wall), new plenum, new gas heater, and new ducts. I also took this opportunity to move it to the other side of the house, since the old one was not exactly where I wanted it.. So, I did have a little electrical done.

$6400 out the door.

I'm more than satisfied.

Clyde

The liberal mind is an endless black hole of stupidity.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't go Trane or Lennox. Most of their parts are proprietary and very exspensive. If you want good bag for your buck go with a 16 seer goodman or bryant or carrier.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Our heater and AC unit was over 20 years old and we had it repaired several times but it reached the point where it was senseless to put any more money into it. About three years ago we had a HVAC unit installed. The brand is Frigidaire and we are very pleased with it. It heats and cools just fine. The system connected to our old ductwork and has a heat pump. I'm still no expert on this stuff but we have no complaints.

To our surprise our electric bill has been cut by 1/3 so the system has been paying for itself. Good luck on your decision.

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
FWIW, a company here in the Denver area has been running adds on TV for Carrier where if you buy the AC unit, they give you the furnace for free. I don't have any idea on what they are charging, but it's something I've seen them advertise quite often. You might look and/or ask around about a deal like that.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Replaced my 13 year old Heil R22 heat pump a few years ago with Rheem R410a. Not one of the real high SEER models, mine is the top model that is a conventional unit. So far, no complaints, does what it should, haven't had to do anything to it. I do clean the evaporator coil in the spring and again in the fall. The condenser stays clean. I think this helps. I also have a "roof" over the condenser until to keep snow and ice from building up on it. That can cause real damage to the fan.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I have American Standard

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I’ve had a few people approach me about buying a used condenser. “My buddy does AC and he just pulled unit out of a house that works fine, the owner just wants to switch everything out”. Always seems to be a Goodman. Cheapest brand too. My gut says it may work, but I will probably spend the money I save on repairs inside of 5 years. I really want to hear more people’s opinion on Goodman.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
My Rheem was installed in 2003. 16 years is quite past its intended life expectancy in this environment.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I am a mechanical contractor and my choice of brand would be Armstrong. Lennox industries owns Allied. Allied manufactures Lennox, Armstrong, and Air Ease. In my opinion would not buy or install a Goodman, Carrier, or ICP product.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by Reloder28
My Rheem was installed in 2003. 16 years is quite past its intended life expectancy in this environment.

You’ve got that right! Texas heat kills capacitors.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have three family members that work at Trane,
aka The Big T
Aka American Standard, Ingersol Rand

They are high as fûck most every shift, opiates, xanax, cheeba.

lol

Union steward lets em know a week or two out before piss tests.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
The local heat and air people even use Bryant brand HVAC equipment on their own homes and families’ homes here. That said, it doesn’t cost an arm and a leg to “upgrade” to a name brand.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In the house I'm remodeling, I installed a Rheem ac unit and nat. gas heater.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

622 members (10Glocks, 1234, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 73 invisible), 2,594 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,932
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.