Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Leo.......As a physical therapist and avid bowhunter I have worked with many archers (several TV hunters) over the years that both had surgery and some that wanted to avoid surgery.

If the arm that is holding the bow (your right) is the hurt shoulder its typically not the draw weight that's the problem its holding the bow up in the air for extended periods of time. Even with a healthy shoulder holding the weight of a bow up with an extended arm is tough. I'd be willing to bet even with 30# draw it would still give you problems due to holding the bow with the right arm.

Rehab alone for this has to involve lots of stabilizing activities and high repetitions for the rotator cuff muscles. Most of your physical therapists and even ortho surgeons dont really understand the mechanics of shooting a bow and what the muscles have to do especially when the issue is in the bow holding hand not the drawing one.

Id say over the years most of the people that are successful in archery with shoulder injuries are either very very very diligent with knowledgeable physical therapists or have surgery to fix the injury and then rehab back to full strength.

* my advice* if you really wanna be an avid archery hunter then go see ortho have an MRI and most likely have surgery then rehab back for next year. I've done it with people over and over again.....definitely possible.

Adam

BP-B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by leomort
A few years back I was trying to get into archery hunting for whitetail deer when I moved to Indiana. Back then I had a torn labrum in my right shoulder, I am left handed. It has given me problems over the years and had to do physical therapy twice so far to try to strengthen my rotator cuff to compensate.

I event bought a hoyt compound bow, forget model, but believe it was the lower poundage pull: 50-60lb. At 5'6" I have a short draw length which I also forget. But even at the 50lb draw weight I would fatigue my shoulder and I never pursed archery further.

Update to recent times and I've once again really tweak my rotator cuff in my right shoulder. This time it's not healing up as quickly as in the past. Before it would heal up in three or four day, then about a week. This time, it will be going on two weeks heal/rest.

I will probably need to see doctor again as I think I may need shoulder surgery to fix torn labrum and possibly rotator cuff. So my question for you experience archery shooters: are my archery days over before I even began?? Would I be able to do archery with a bad shoulder? Are there lighter poundage bow options with short(er) draw lengths that I can gradually build my shoulder up to? Say 30lbs to 50lb max draw weight? Any help you could provide would be appreciated.

Leo

May wish to look into a youth / Hoyt Ignight for example at least to find what may be acceptable for your condition. Think with a bow like this you may see a 19" to 30" draw length adjustment And Draw weight may range from 15lb too 70lb. primarily intended for growing youth archer. The bow can be adjusted as the archer grows to acomidate both DL & DW.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
What ever you do consult with your doctor.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I purchased a ZenKeyz shoulder brace off the internet it was less than $30.00 lowered my poundage to 50 lbs. with easier roll over cams . this brace has velcro adjustments so keep it tight . some of my problem was the recoil and that brace takes that problem away for me so i can still bowhunt atleast but target shooting is now limited. i also went back to using a hand sharpened cut on contact broadhead called Zwickey Eskimo and has done well for me. good luck with your shoulder problem i have had both shoulders rebuilt and they are far from perfect.Pete53

Last edited by pete53; 07/23/19.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Tore my draw arm supraspinatus and labrum. Had surgery last March. Very painful recovery, especially the first two weeks post op. Didn't draw a bow for 14 months, to maximize healing. Much gentle rehab. Started to shoot archery again ( 14 months) with my 30# Samick Journey recurve. Slow increase in shot count. Now can shoot 37-40# recurves over 100 shots/day.

Don't want to go through that again.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by buttstock
Tore my draw arm supraspinatus and labrum. Had surgery last March. Very painful recovery, especially the first two weeks post op. Didn't draw a bow for 14 months, to maximize healing. Much gentle rehab. Started to shoot archery again ( 14 months) with my 30# Samick Journey recurve. Slow increase in shot count. Now can shoot 37-40# recurves over 100 shots/day.

Don't want to go through that again.

You did it right! Nice recovery and keep those arrows flying.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by AMoore141
Leo.......As a physical therapist and avid bowhunter I have worked with many archers (several TV hunters) over the years that both had surgery and some that wanted to avoid surgery.

* my advice* if you really wanna be an avid archery hunter then go see ortho have an MRI and most likely have surgery then rehab back for next year. I've done it with people over and over again.....definitely possible.

Adam

Leo,

having had major repair work done to both rotator cuffs, both involving biceps tendons also, I can recommend following Adam's advice.

My first one, I wanted to avoid surgery so went the phys therapy route for +/- 6 month. That was on my left (bow) arm. At the end of the 6 months or so my PT told me I had full range of motion back, but I better go see the ortho doc and get the MRI as I couldn't get a gallon of milk up to shoulder level even. Dr told me after the surgery it took him two and 3/4 hours to fix what he normally does in 45 mins to 1 hr. I was back to archery level in a year or less..........but kept up with the exercises well after the PT sessions ended!

Second surgery 6 years or so later on the other shoulder (draw arm) , in which I heard the biceps tendon pop, and was back shooting arrows in less than a year.

OH, just FYI, I shoot 45 and 55 pound draw weight traditional bows and have no problem with the draw. My bows only weigh about a pound each, strung and with string silencers, so holding them up is a lot easier than with a compound.

I'd second Adam's suggestion to see the ortho doctor and get the MRI as soon as possible. You may lose a season or so of using the bow, but it's likely going to be worth it if you do need surgery, rather than trying to get into bow shape without it.

I can also recommend this, to go along with the rubber bands and other exercise your PT folks will give you. Just be sure to get their OK BEFORE using it. I worked great for me as my work kept me away from my bow for days at a time.

http://www.bowfit.com/

Good luck

Geno

PS, a hint, if you're near one. Find a good sports ortho Doc that specializes in rotator cuff/shoulder stuff. My first was a team doc for a university with top level baseball and basketball teams. The second was at a University with a major sports medicine program. They seem to know their way around this type of sports injury,

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I'm in the same boat from having my shoulder and brachial plexus torn apart in Iraq. Not only do I have joint damage, but I also have nerve damage. I still shoot my bow as my primary means of hunting. I have to draw a bit oddly, but it's functional. It took me 4 years to be able to draw a bow again after my injury, but 7 years to get back up to 70 pound draw. With today's technology you can still hunt and kill effectively with a 50 pound draw. What I would suggest is to get one of the bows with a wide range of draw weight adjustability and start at a low weight to rebuild your drawing muscles. Mission, PSE, Hoyt, Bowtech, Bear, Diamond all have bows like that. If you put your mind to it, then you'll get it done. Just start out at a really low weight. My guess is that you're shooting too high of a weight now and that's what's messing with your shoulder.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
686 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 73 invisible), 2,823 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,634
Posts18,398,877
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.