-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Shake the dust from your feet and move along.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Just bought a camp trailer from a gal and she just took out her small bit of tools. Left everything else. Had a nice fly rod and reel in a nice case. She asked ,do you fish I said ya once in a while she put it back in compartment. She is unloading everything she can and downsizing house and all belongings. Husband died a couple of years ago. I think her gives a schits are gone.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My step dad did the same thing when my mom died,he got rid of everything,packed a bag,and was gone.he now travels around,does his thing
And once in a while when he s back,we meet for dinner,catch up,then he s gone again.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I did this in my mid 40's..... the ex wife helped the process along... smile

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Ha Just left the Ex at Verizon, she was still under my phone bill, tho she paid her half, my bills 25 bucks higher then my half was but im done with her for good now!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Happened to my Dad. Mom got Alzheimer's and died at 59. They had just finished building and moving to their dream home in the NC mountains.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You get to a point in life where you wonder if you own your stuff or does your stuff own you? Not there quite yet but getting closer.

[Linked Image]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm pissed because when I die, I don't know who is going to look after my guns....

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Happened to my Dad. Mom got Alzheimer's and died at 59. They had just finished building and moving to their dream home in the NC mountains.

Prove positive that god, is not only indifferent, but often-times cruel...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I need a bigger garage.... and possibly a bigger yard!.

But if my wife should die tomorrow or any time soon, the above sounds like a plan.

Last edited by las; 10/18/19.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
That's the plan here too. Small cabin/house and a few acres and trimming extra crap down a lot. I am 39 but ready to have freedom and not stuff. I think a 243 and 30-06 as my main rifles and a 12 gauge and a couple rifles that have sentimental meaning is enough.

Now to find a way to finance the build on the cabin and land.

Pay things off and walk away. Big fan of the idea.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When all is said and done....it's just stuff.

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
I walked away once,

We opened the mail one day, there was a letter from the school district.
It said my 7 yr. old blonde haired, blue-eyed daughter was going to be bused to a all black school.

We couldn't fight their decision, so we literally packed everything up, dropped the keys off at a local
realtor, said to sell the house, whatever you can get for it, send us a check.
We had no forwarding address at the time.

We were living in Maryland, we headed north to the whitest state on the east coast, Maine.
That was the best decision I have ever made for my family. That was in 72'

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Yep. Go live, buddy.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Thats thinking like a Millennial.

Rather than being entombed in some big palace full of crap while you are still alive.....get out there and live some.

Thinking like a millennial are contradictory terms.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by vferguson3006
I walked away once,

We opened the mail one day, there was a letter from the school district.
It said my 7 yr. old blonde haired, blue-eyed daughter was going to be bused to a all black school.

We couldn't fight their decision, so we literally packed everything up, dropped the keys off at a local
realtor, said to sell the house, whatever you can get for it, send us a check.
We had no forwarding address at the time.

We were living in Maryland, we headed north to the whitest state on the east coast, Maine.
That was the best decision I have ever made for my family. That was in 72'

Nothing wrong with that. But my county in the Bluegrass region of Kentucky is 91% Caucasian, very decent employment opportunities, reasonable housing costs, and winter leaves when it's supposed to.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can easily see clearing out regardless of which party died. With near 50 years together, we have acquired a lot of treasures between the two of us. Maintenance and upkeep for a sizeable place can be all consuming for the remaining party.

The difficult part though would be not having anyone around that one could truly call a friend. Would be especially tough on what we consider family type holidays sitting alone at the table. My mom lived alone, but did have a community of friends for her last 8 years or so. When the end was close, she commented she was really anxious to get back to dad.

Last edited by 1minute; 10/18/19.

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
a neighbor of some one close to me told his wife one day " I am going to go buy a paper"
Walked out got in his pickup and they didn't find him for 5 years.
He was 1000 miles away living and working in Vegas

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I can see that happening to me to some degree. I know some people that don't own their stuff, their stuff owns them. If I get to that point, I hope I have enough sense to not put it on my kids to clean up when I check out.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 19352012
Maybe couldn't live with the memories anymore. You never know what is going on in someone else's head.

Very true. Sometimes the memories are so overwhelming that one must get away from them Other times, a person might not be able to "survive" without being near the memories of the good (and not-so-good) times with a dear loved one.

Everyone is different.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

182 members (10gaugemag, 260madman, 338reddog, 5sdad, 360bull, 1_deuce, 31 invisible), 1,303 guests, and 1,050 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,219
Posts18,447,462
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.