Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I have always wanted an Irish Setter. Does anyone know of a good breeder of hunting Irish Setters? Preferably in the western part of the U.S., but will go farther if necessary.

GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Berg Bros Setters in Minnesota.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Sent you a PM on a possibility.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
The Bergs only do a couple of red/Irish setter litters a year and the wait times can run a few years so get an order in early. I have been able to keep two of their red dogs for friends and both dogs were good dogs in the field.

My last English setter would have been from them if the litter numbers would have worked out. The next pup will likely be from them. A red/Irish setter is also a possibility if they have caught up on their backlog.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They were real popular around here for awhile, as pets.
1 generation only, I don't know anyone the got a second generation.
Not used what they were bred for, none highly trained, most just basics.

I never wanted one!!!

Only posted to warn you to be darn sure what you were getting into.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My grandfather and his brother both had Irish Setters when I was just getting old enough to tag along, back in the early 1950s. Both were excellent dogs, and they used them for waterfowl hunting on the Texas coast, as well as for quail hunting. They were truly all-around gun dogs. I always wanted one.

By the time that I was in graduate school, (and thinking that I would like a good all-purpose bird dog), it was virtually impossible to find Irish bred for hunting anywhere in Texas, Oklahoma or Louisiana. That was almost 50 years ago, and I have not seen an Irish Setter being hunted anywhere, from here to Montana and in-between, in the intervening years. Around ten or fifteen years ago, while in Washington DC on business, I met a guy from Montana who bred Irish for hunting. I spent some time just now looking for his business card, but it seems to be long gone. As I recall, he owned an RV park or a trailer park, but I'll be damned if I can remember where in Montana it was.

These days, thanks to the internet, you can find just about any breed in which you are interested, but finding a kennel that produces good hunting dogs in most of the less popular breeds is still not easy. I wish you good luck in your search, but patience is required (and hopefully rewarded.)

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by mudhen
Around ten or fifteen years ago, while in Washington DC on business, I met a guy from Montana who bred Irish for hunting. I spent some time just now looking for his business card, but it seems to be long gone. As I recall, he owned an RV park or a trailer park, but I'll be damned if I can remember where in Montana it was..)

He lives in Florida now. He goes by the name Deflave. 😃

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by woodmaster81
Originally Posted by mudhen
Around ten or fifteen years ago, while in Washington DC on business, I met a guy from Montana who bred Irish for hunting. I spent some time just now looking for his business card, but it seems to be long gone. As I recall, he owned an RV park or a trailer park, but I'll be damned if I can remember where in Montana it was..)

He lives in Florida now. He goes by the name Deflave. 😃

No, this guy was polite, soft spoken and knowledgeable. grin

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Deflate uses protection,
No breeding, just poking around in fun.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
B
B
https://www.celticfarmsandkennels.com/ Celtic Kennels here in PA, my first Irish red field setter is a pup from their bloodline. Nothing but drive and heart in that little bugger

N.R.A Patron member
Pheasants Forever Life Member
N. S. C. A. Life Member
Ruff Grouse Society Life Member
Paragon School of Sporting Associate Instructor

Introduce a kid to hunting and the great outdoors, keep the tradition alive.
IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Browningfan369
https://www.celticfarmsandkennels.com/ Celtic Kennels here in PA, my first Irish red field setter is a pup from their bloodline. Nothing but drive and heart in that little bugger

I checked out the website, but found little info. It doesn't look like they have anything available now. Do you know about how much their pups costs? They do seem like he type of dog I am looking for.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
https://www.facebook.com/groups/NRSFTC/permalink/3126544900720961/ I've got the club page somewhere but can't find it. Pretty good breeder's list in it. Closest I'd look for in the west is a Kennel in Brighton Colorado, north of Denver a ways. Can't remember names very well but someone on that facebook site will get you there. Deb, lady that handle the site and put's out the Rd Setter new's letter can tell you all you want. I just got my second Red, both mine are FDSB. Difference between them and the AKC Irish is night and day! Go to facebook and talk to Deb.

Here ya go.
https://nrsftc.com/?fbclid=IwAR2SIIs_BAroe1s2HrU3JHMPn40G_VhoWYTBjaWZWa1Wap3bUGHHRMRfd30

Last edited by DonFischer; 10/18/19.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
my Irish Setter was 'birdy' from a very young age....

[Linked Image from i26.photobucket.com]

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by DonFischer
https://www.facebook.com/groups/NRSFTC/permalink/3126544900720961/ I've got the club page somewhere but can't find it. Pretty good breeder's list in it. Closest I'd look for in the west is a Kennel in Brighton Colorado, north of Denver a ways. Can't remember names very well but someone on that facebook site will get you there. Deb, lady that handle the site and put's out the Rd Setter new's letter can tell you all you want. I just got my second Red, both mine are FDSB. Difference between them and the AKC Irish is night and day! Go to facebook and talk to Deb.

Here ya go.
https://nrsftc.com/?fbclid=IwAR2SIIs_BAroe1s2HrU3JHMPn40G_VhoWYTBjaWZWa1Wap3bUGHHRMRfd30

Thanks. I bought an Irish Setter in August. My first setter. I don't know if he is typical of the breed, but he is a full energy, never stops moving dog. Stubborn too and a food hog. His nose is always to the ground sniffing or up in the air running to another spot to check. I fear I don't have enough knowledge to bring out his full potential. But, I think he will be a good bird dog if I can bring it out in him. Or hire someone who knows what they are doing.

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by huntsman22
my Irish Setter was 'birdy' from a very young age....

Well, it is red.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

310 members (12344mag, 1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 1lessdog, 32 invisible), 1,450 guests, and 1,069 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,225
Posts18,447,626
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.