Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Starting to have a few problems and still have good trade value. Should I get a new domestic with a 3.5, 5.0, 5.3, 5.7 or 6.2?

Had an '11 3.5 and had engine and transmission trouble between 60-70,000 miles. My current 5.0 had a transmission replacement at 70,000 a few weeks back and is starting to have other issues. Drove a 6.2 and those will really move but interiors and other items haven't held up well for me on past similar models. The new 3.5s with 10 speeds will really go. The dealer lent me one during my mandatory 70K transmission replacement with that brand. The 5.7 I test drove was the nicest truck from a ride and comfort perspective that I have ever driven. It drove like a car. But, it is still a domestic 5.7.

Not sure what to do. Have given up on them being reliable to my standard past five years or so and I don't drive them hard. Kind of leaning toward a 6.2 even though I know the electric locks and windows won't work and it will rattle like a freight train by 50,000 miles.

Thanks.

GB2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gas engines, I'd probably look at the 6.2 or wait for the new 7.3. I read about issues with the 5.0 and I know a guy that blew a well maintained one at about 70K. I wouldn't touch a 3.5 w/ a 10' pole.

Diesel? 6.7 Cummins.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have the 5.7 with the 8spd, I love the truck. Will it haul like my '06 Cummins? Nope, but I don't ask it to. Put a Falcon leveling kit, added Air bags, 17" wheels with 33" tires. Rides great have had zero issues.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Before I did any upgrades, I hauled my 69 CJ6 back from Utah, last year.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by sactoller; 10/15/19.

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Great looking Ram, Sactoller. I've driven them all and Dodge is making the nicest trucks right now. The 2019s are really nice. Have had two Fords in a row. They stay tight but major things seem to start breaking at 70,000 at least for me. Maybe time to try a Dodge.

My Ford was in the shop for a transmission replacement for about a month and needs to go back tomorrow. Grinding sound in the front. Maybe a wheel bearing or CV joint or something with the 4WD system. Starting to spend more time in the shop than on the road, which is what my last one did at this mileage.

Last edited by DesertMuleDeer; 10/15/19.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
6.4 hemi Ram 2500.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Currently shopping as well. I have had nothing but GM and nothing but good luck for over 20 years. The new GM pickups leave me cold. Very unimpressive compared to Ram. Cheap interiors, lots of plastic inside and out. They ride...like trucks! Ram much nicer inside, love the RamBox idea and they ride like cars. Easier to find Chevy's configured the way I like though, very difficult to find a Ram put together right. I haven't crawled into a Ford yet but I might. Our dealer in town here isn't very inspiring.

FWIW I have had eight 5.3L vehicles, love the motor. All of them bulletproof. When I heard 6.2 required premium fuel, I said no thanks. I don't need that.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I own two GM 6.2L pickups. The GM 6.2L engine does not require premium fuel. It will deliver better power if you do use premium, but it is NOT required. I don't know where this BS comes from. Many newer engines are the same way. They are rated with premium fuel, but will run fine on regular. Check the fine print on the Ford EcoBoost engines sometime.

Talk is cheap. It takes money to buy whiskey.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
You are one unlucky guy. I've just never had any serious problems with any of them. Some of the 2011 and 2012 Fords with both the 3.5 and 5.0 had minor issues. That seems to have been corrected by 2013. Although I've heard of some issues with 5.0's made in the last year or 2. I bought a 2014 4X4 Supercrew with the 5.0 used in 2016. It has 82,000 miles on it now and all I've done is change oil. It still has the original brakes all around. I have a BIL with a 2014 with the 3.5 with similar miles and no issues at all.

I've owned Chevy and Dodge in the past, but nothing recently enough to have any personal opinion. I'll just say that I have friends with them and they are happy.

If long term durability and reliability is the primary concern by a Tundra. They get about 2 mpg worse fuel mileage than the others, but I've just seen too many of them go well over 200,000 miles with no repairs other than normal stuff that wears out like brakes, etc. I also have a 2007 Tacoma with 201,000 and the only part that I've replaced is the alternator.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I've had a couple Chevys and a Dodge and they were both okay. Think I liked the dodge a bit better, sold it at about 140K miles , the Chevys sold at less mileage. However my current is a '12 Tacoma 172K miles, the most I've ever put on any truck and it runs like it will go another 172K. Brakes at 90K, so these have a bit over 80K now, so probably due soon. I did have to put new wheel bearings on each front tire about a year apart, had one recall on some type of air valve, and did get new shocks and struts at about 100K just cause I thought I should. Looking at going back to a full size maybe next year (or 2). Thinking I will buy used, and will be hard to look at anything but a toyota. If I can swing a Tundra, good, if not might have to be another Tacoma. Wish they would have done a makeover on the Tundra the past couple years, prices are insane on new.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
What was the trouble and/or symptoms you're having with the trans?

Camp is where you make it.
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by mudstud

I own two GM 6.2L pickups. The GM 6.2L engine does not require premium fuel. It will deliver better power if you do use premium, but it is NOT required. I don't know where this BS comes from. Many newer engines are the same way. They are rated with premium fuel, but will run fine on regular. Check the fine print on the Ford EcoBoost engines sometime.

Came from my dealer. IDC, I don't need a 6.2 either way, surely not at 2495 additional price.

I have to chuckle a bit at the Toyota comments. Brakes, shocks, struts, wheel bearings all replaced, but "hard to look at anything but a Toyota." I still think we need a subforum for Toyota Kool-Aid Drinkers here at 24hcf. Honestly glad they like their pickups...the justifications for same make me smile and shake my head.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by BKinSD

Came from my dealer. IDC, I don't need a 6.2 either way, surely not at 2495 additional price.

I have to chuckle a bit at the Toyota comments. Brakes, shocks, struts, wheel bearings all replaced, but "hard to look at anything but a Toyota." I still think we need a subforum for Toyota Kool-Aid Drinkers here at 24hcf. Honestly glad they like their pickups...the justifications for same make me smile and shake my head.

I understand the comment, but I can only compare it to what I've had. I'm not brand loyal for the most part. My Chevy would have been on its 6th set of brakes (probably rotors for 2nd time) and 3rd set of shocks and 3rd set of brake lines with equal mileage if its history held its course with equal mileage. Not withstanding other stuff that may or may not have gone out in the meantime. My Dodge would have needed 3rd set of ball joints and possibly other front end work as well as being on its 3rd air conditioner, 5th or 6th set of brakes and maybe its 3rd set of shocks. My Tacoma has been much less costly to maintain, but that's just my experience YMMV.
As a side, with the garbage they spray on the roads here in winter rust is a big longevity killer. Had my 3rd set of step/nerf bars put on a couple weeks ago. First 2 sets lasted about 3 yrs apiece then rusted out. Although I have no body panel rust at this point I'm keeping my fingers crossed about the undercarriage. Talking with the mechanic about that, said he had a 2014 Ford F150 come in the prior week to get his replaced and was rusted out underneath so bad they couldn't put them on. I believe they're aluminum underneath. Never had a Ford though.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Yeah, BK. I don't get some of the comments on here. I've run nothing but Chevy/GMC pickups forever and had extremely good luck with all of them. Had a '99 GMC 5.3L, ran it to 180k and it never burned ANY oil, damn good vehicle. Got an '02 GMC 5.3L, ran it to 196k, it never burned any oil either. Got an '07 GMC 5.3L, nothing wrong with this vehicle either, but at 145k I traded it in on an '11 GMC 6.2L, which I still own, at 173k. None of the 5.3l vehicles had anything done to them, except put in gas and change oil. The '11 6.2L, at about 120k, I had the oil cooler lines and the transmission cooler lines replaced. Just recently I had new brake pads put on the '11, no new rotors, just pads. The '11 6.2L, I ran nothing but 87 octane E10 with no problems, up until recently. On a lark, I started running 91 octane no ethanol in it and noticed it definitely had more power, by seat of the pants measurements! LOL Been running 91 ever since.

I also have a '17 GMC Sierra Denali 6.2L that hasn't turned 6000 miles yet! This truck hasn't ever had anything but 91 octane no ethanol in it, but it says right in the owners manual that you can run 87. I like to run 91 octane for the increased power, but the other thing is, in my neighborhood, the only NO ethanol gas available is 91 octane, and I've sworn off any gas with ethanol, except in emergencies.

Last spring, I was driving down a city street, going to my daughters house, when there was a brand new Tundra sitting there, looked like the upper control arm on the right front wheel had broken off, as the tire/wheel was flopped over along side the vehicle. On my way back, there was a wrecker hooking it up! LOL! I always think of that when the ToyBoys are bragging up their chit.

Bottom line, drive what you want, I certainly don't give a chit.

Talk is cheap. It takes money to buy whiskey.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I do think people should drive what they want, we all deserve choices and damn glad to live where I have choices. Your experience matches with mine.

EDIT to reflect that I don't live where salt is a huge problem and that may well cause issues I'm not familiar with.

Last edited by BKinSD; 10/23/19.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by tzone
What was the trouble and/or symptoms you're having with the trans?

On the 2011, I was driving in town in drive and on the first to second shift under moderate acceleration, it ground gears and locked up the back tires. It slammed the first to second shift really hard from then on. I took it to the dealer and they tore into the transmission a couple of times, including doing something to the valve body, and it kept getting worse. I also was having trouble with the 3.5 Ecoboost in that one.

On the 2014, a 5.0, I was out at the hunting lease, and climbed a fairly steep hill in 4 low and then couldn't get it out of 4 wheel drive. Final got it out of 4 wheel drive and was driving around 15 minutes later and it too ground gears on the first to second shift and locked up the rear tires and then started shifting hard. Brought it to the dealer and they replaced the actuator motor in the transfer case. Got it back and it worked for a couple of hours and then it lost first gear. It would rev in first without moving and then engage second sort of like a neutral drop. Replaced under extended warranty with a re-manufactured transmission, which worked well for a few days but I am now noticing a slightly hard first to second shift on occasion.

Last edited by DesertMuleDeer; 10/25/19.
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Currently shopping as well. I have had nothing but GM and nothing but good luck for over 20 years. The new GM pickups leave me cold. Very unimpressive compared to Ram. Cheap interiors, lots of plastic inside and out. They ride...like trucks! Ram much nicer inside, love the RamBox idea and they ride like cars. Easier to find Chevy's configured the way I like though, very difficult to find a Ram put together right. I haven't crawled into a Ford yet but I might. Our dealer in town here isn't very inspiring.

FWIW I have had eight 5.3L vehicles, love the motor. All of them bulletproof. When I heard 6.2 required premium fuel, I said no thanks. I don't need that.

The Dodge definitely has the best ride and drive right now.

My last two GMs, an 03 (I think) and 07 didn't hold up well from an interior, trim and features standpoint.They both rattled and made a lot of noise by 50K and the 2007, a Suburban, had door locks that would quit working every 10,000 miles, cruise control that would quit every 20,000 and rear window defroster that would break every 10,000. I didn't have any trouble with the GMs burning oil, but my business partner has had two 5.3s in a row that he replaced engines under extended warranty at around 90K for excessive oil consumption. He loves them and just gets the extended warranty and when they burn oil, gets an engine replacement.

My favorite trucks right now are F150s, but I seem to have major trouble at about starting at about 70,000 with them. My wife has a Sequoia that has well over 100,000 and super reliable. I just don't like the features of the Toyotas or the way they drive with our 75 mph speed limits here.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I was in and traded our Jeep Wrangler in on a 2019 Toyota RAV4 and they were telling me that the tundra is coming out in a hybrid in the redesign. That will address their poor fuel economy I guess.

I have a 2018 f150 and glad I have extended warranty after all the issue they seem to have. I’ll run it until that’s gone and reassess then if I should trade off or drive a bit longer. No idea what to look at when that comes. They all are getting so complicated.

Rob
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I drove a rental F-150 this past weekend, that thing had more leg room than i've ever seen a pickup but the bed couldn't have been 3 feet long. I love my Ram and would probably buy another if this one ever shats the bed, it'll haul the mail right along with all our toys.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
I drove a rental F-150 this past weekend, that thing had more leg room than i've ever seen a pickup but the bed couldn't have been 3 feet long. I love my Ram and would probably buy another if this one ever shats the bed, it'll haul the mail right along with all our toys.

You will find Rams cut the bed length on short bxes by 3" now

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Many will disagree, but all pickups have now become "too complicated" to suit me. Been driving pickups since I bought my first one, a 1968 Chevy short bed in 1970. That little rascal was like new, with low mileage, which was a rare find back then. Needed a truck, so that's what I drive. Trucks today bear little resemblance to that first one, other than load carrying abilities.

Yeah, they ride better, have far more amenities and can get great fuel mileage for the power, but I didn't need Blue Tooth, touch screens and all that other BS that is now common.

OTOH, got to liking heated seats the first winter I had 'em. wink

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
818 members (1234, 12308300, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 007FJ, 85 invisible), 3,239 guests, and 1,327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,710
Posts18,400,186
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.