Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
cdg Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Good Morning,
Sorry for the lengthy ramble....especially being my first post.
I've been browsing the forums as I'm planning on getting back into hunting after many years absence. Growing up in the northeast I predominately used a custom Remington Model 7 in .243 for deer (sold off firearms when kids were young as my wife was uncomfortable). Now located in Southern California have looked strongly at the 6.5 Creedmoor as a good all-around caliber.
That being said, I've been drawn to both the Tikka T3X Lite Compact (20' Barrel & 5.9lbs) and the Barrett Fieldcraft (21" & 5.2lbs) and do realize these two are not an apples to apples comparison (one being more budget friendly, the other almost semi-custom).
I'm vertically challenged (5'4" and 140lbs) and have always tended to go with a short action compact rifle as they fit better.....these two seem to feel equally as comfortable even with the Tikka Compact having a 12.5" LOP vs the Barrett's 13.75".
Handling them, they both have smooth bolts but the Tikka seems to have slightly more play. Metal work appears great on both.. Cosmetically the Fieldcraft is absolutely beautiful and love the cheek piece and how stiff the stock is.
This rifle will be a do it all rifle for what I"m planning (deer, wild boar, coyote, sheep, and on the very rare occasion, elk) so at least initially, am not looking at multiple rifles.
I'm willing to pay the Fieldcraft price and do like everything about it and it gets positive reviews.....but the Tikka seems to get good reviews too and am pretty sure will work equally well.
Any pro's and con's you could provide on each would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
cdg

GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
If it were me, I would buy the Tikka and then spend the extra money on optics. You do get a lot of rifle with the Fieldcraft, but I am not sure if it is $1000 more rifle. That being said, there is a world of difference in a $450 optic and a $1000 optic.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Hitting well is about shooting well. Shooting well is about shooting corectly. Shooting corectly is about rounds fired.

I’ve hunted and killed with both rifles you asked about. Quite a bit.

The Fieldcraft is a good gun. The Tikka is a good gun. The fieldcraft is a great specialty ultra LW rifle. The Tikka is great light weight general purpose rifle.

You will be money and ability ahead to buy a T3x Comact in 223 with 1-8”, AND T3x Compact in 6.5 Creedmoor. Both with reasonable scopes (SWFA SS 6x42mm), and sportsmatch rings. Use the 223 with 77gr match ammo to learn what you’re doing.

Last edited by Formidilosus; 10/18/19.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I would buy Tikka, get a good scope and good mounts!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by HandgunHTR
If it were me, I would buy the Tikka and then spend the extra money on optics. You do get a lot of rifle with the Fieldcraft, but I am not sure if it is $1000 more rifle. That being said, there is a world of difference in a $450 optic and a $1000 optic.

Good advice.

IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

Very well said. If it were me, I'd buy the Tikka, spend the difference on glass and ammo.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide

Very well said. If it were me, I'd buy the Tikka, spend the difference on glass and ammo.

^^^This^^^

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Witnessed three plastikka failures this year: two plastic clip related in the field, and one brought into my gunsmith buddy's shop where the two piece bolt madness failed.

Go for a used ruger 77 type carbine with open sights.....

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Witnessed three plastikka failures this year: two plastic clip related in the field, and one brought into my gunsmith buddy's shop where the two piece bolt madness failed.

More info please.

A crushed mag is not a rifle failure. And what “two piece bolt madness” failed?

I’ve seen more than two dozen T3’s used in some horrible ways, with over 100,000 rounds through them.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have been trying to replace a rifle I gave to the daughter, 6.5X57 Steyr. So far a Sako, Sauer, and now a Tikka. Hoping I will find one that will do what the old one will. I have had several Tikka's, never have had an issue. Mags are for the most part are "bullet proof" even seen one run over by a 2500 no problems. Have had Zero luck with Ruger's YMMV.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’ve a few of both. I would go Tikka. Trouble free.

Yup.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by AKduck
I’ve a few of both. I would go Tikka. Trouble free.

Curious what troubles you have had with the Fieldcraft?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

More info please.

I’ve seen more than two dozen T3’s used in some horrible ways, with over 100,000 rounds through them.

Curious as well....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’ve got a 6.5 CM that I can’t get to shoot consistently from one day to the next and seems to walk as it warms up (with several different factory loadings). It also would skip picking up a round every so often but playing with the mag spring helped. I have two other FCs (stubby 6.5 and a 6CM) that shoot well and am happy with the rifles.

Yup.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Thanks for the reply. I haven’t had any issues with mine but that is interesting.

As an aside, if anyone is looking for a screaming deal on one (FC) in swede, don’t delay.
https://www.whittakerguns.com/product/73946

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

More info please.

My Tikka magazine flew off the roof of a pickup and went cartwheeling down a paved road at 60 mph. Aside from some road rash it is fine and still works perfectly.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'd get the Tikka and not even look back..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
C
cdg Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Thank you for all the advice and recommendations. I found the Tikka T3X Lite Compact on sale for $599 so am going to go with it.
Again....thanks :-)

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have had to send my Fieldcraft back twice for ejection issues. It is currently in transit to my house from the last issue. Mine is an early model 30-06 and I have owned it for 2 years now and have not been able to hunt with it yet due to the extraction issues. I may get to this year if I have time to get scope mounted and sighted in.

I also own three Tikkas that have been trouble free so far. I like the Fieldcraft better if the ejection issue is finally solved but if I were buying new, out of your two choices, I would buy the Tikka and some good glass!

HeavyBarrel

" A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government"
G. Washington
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Welcome to the forum and back to the wonderful world of shooting. If the Fieldcraft doesn't stretch you budget, get it! You deserve it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

381 members (10gaugemag, 260Remguy, 17CalFan, 264mag, 270winchester, 10gaugeman, 33 invisible), 2,516 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,430
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.