Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#14212876 10/19/19
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Or beef soup? We have a couple of soup bone left. Any ideas for a different "twist", on an old meal?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Would love some beef barley, haven't made it in years.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
As much Cholula as you can stand.

Its the perfect flavor combo.

I am MAGA.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
I once worked at a Toyota plant & they had a large cafeteria that offered a lot of Japanese dishes.

One I enjoyed was a spicy beef stew poured over a bed of white rice. I started making it at home starting with Dinty, adding sauteed onions, garlic & mushrooms with Franks Red Hot sauce. Not quite what I was after but wife loved it so I've made it for years.

Finally I backed off on the cooking time for the onions keeping them crunchy & more oriental style. Then it hit me, Franks, & other hot sauces work well for some things, some not so well.

Huy Fong Shricacha hit it out of the park. Just what it needed. I had yet to be introduced to this when I first started making the dish, but better late than never.

Jim mentions Cholula, which made me think of this, your taste may differ.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
If I’m short on time I have a kind of quick soup recipe. Put a couple pounds of burger in the bottom of a big soup pot, don’t spring for the super lean stuff we need the fat. When it’s browned there should be a half inch or so of grease in the bottom of the pot. Pile the meat up on the sides of the pot leaving a open pond of grease in the center.

Now add your potatoes to the grease and basically deep fry them. Then carrots and celery etc, until you have all the vegetables you want in there and they’re all cooked. Don’t forget the cabbage, that’s my favorite vegetable in soup. Once all the vegetables are cooked I drain off all the grease.

After all the vegetables are cooked I add a couple big cans of stewed tomatoes. I like the diced ones but my mom uses the whole ones. Sometimes I like one can of diced and one can of crushed. Probably have to add a can or two of water as well depending on how thick you like it.

Then crank that baby up to high to get a boil going and salt the heck out of it. I can’t do soup that doesn’t have enough salt and it doesn’t work the same to salt it in your bowl. When it gets to boiling I stir in about 1 teaspoon of liquid smoke, think it may have been an accident the first time I put it in soup but it’s good.

Once it boils its ready to go since your vegetables are already cooked before you added liquid. It’s better the next day like any soup or stew but it’s quick and pretty good the first time around.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Use noodles instead of potatoes, and don't use tomato.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by gunzo
I once worked at a Toyota plant & they had a large cafeteria that offered a lot of Japanese dishes.

One I enjoyed was a spicy beef stew poured over a bed of white rice. I started making it at home starting with Dinty, adding sauteed onions, garlic & mushrooms with Franks Red Hot sauce. Not quite what I was after but wife loved it so I've made it for years.

Finally I backed off on the cooking time for the onions keeping them crunchy & more oriental style. Then it hit me, Franks, & other hot sauces work well for some things, some not so well.

Huy Fong Shricacha hit it out of the park. Just what it needed. I had yet to be introduced to this when I first started making the dish, but better late than never.

Jim mentions Cholula, which made me think of this, your taste may differ.

I have better than half a dozen hot sauces in the house. Each has its own specialty.

Cholula original on stew. The chipoltle version on spam and egg sandwiches.

Franks on eggs and hashbrowns. Sriracha on anything remotely resembling an Asian dish......and chicken strips.

Crystal on cajun. So forth and so on......

Its taken years of hard work to figure it all out!

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

SALT!

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
IMO tomatoes makes it stew. No tomatoes = soup.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Tomatoes make it sour; no tomatoes makes it good.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by prairie dog shooter

^^^This^^^

It’s not stew without tomatoes.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F

Beef Stew,

1 lb - 2 lb stewing beef or beef roast cut into 1/2" cubes .

2 or 3 medium diced onions

Brown meat in oil, salt and pepper , add 3-4 cups water and onions you want to generously cover the meat.

Simmer for 2-3 hours, tasting often, adjust seasoning , add water if necessary

After this period of time add diced potatoes, carrots, turnip etc; and any of other favorite roor vegetables.

I usually add a clove or 2 of crushed garlic, you do not want the garlic to be the star of the dish, and sometimes chopped mushrooms.

Add water if required and continue to cook til vegetables are starting to become tender.

Add 1/'2 cup or so of frozen peas , and water bring to rolling boil

You need to ensure you have enough liquid at this point

Now drop spoonfuls of the sticky tea biscuits across the top of the stew.

Cover and leave boiling for a timed 20 minutes

DO NOT OPEN THE LID AND CHECK, this will cause the dumplings to fall and become hard lumps.

The dumplings will thicken the stew as the cook.

There are never any dumplings left for the next day , so we normally make tea biscuits to have with the leftover stew.

The recipe is from the Five Roses Cookbook my wife has had for 50 years. This is the basis for the dumplings, same recipe except additional milk the dumpling dough should be very sticky

Tea Biscuits

2 cups all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup shortening (I always use butter or margarine)
1 cup milk

Mix together flour, baking powder, baking powder and salt. Cut in shortening (or butter) with two knives or a pastry blender, until mixture is the consistency of course cornmeal. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients; add liquid slowly. When all the liquid has been added, stir the dough rather vigorously until it comes freely from the side of the bowl. Turn dough onto lightly floured board and knead lightly for a FEW MINUTES. Roll or pat out to desired thickness- about 1/2-inch. Cut dough with 2-inch floured biscuit cutter and place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake in a hot oven (450 degrees Fahrenheit) for 12-15 minutes

F

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
As much Cholula as you can stand.

Its the perfect flavor combo.

+1

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

^^^This^^^

And it's not stew with hamburger.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Craigster
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

^^^This^^^

And it's not stew with hamburger.

Agreed

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
it's not stew with beans, then it's chili

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Boy, entering kitchen and lifting lid from pot on stove: "What's this?"
Mother, wiping hands on apron: "It's named for your cousin - Stew."
Boy, replacing lid: "Smells more like it should be named for Uncle Ralph."

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
The same old 'fire, If I'd ask which way is north, how many different options might I get?
laugh

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Beef stew with tomato’s? Nasty.

Jim did you test garlic Tabasco?

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by wabigoon
The same old 'fire, If I'd ask which way is north, how many different options might I get?
laugh

It all depends on which way is up, depending on your point of view.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
574 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 12308300, 160user, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 51 invisible), 2,703 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,736
Posts18,401,088
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.