Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
For me that is. The extended family that I take advantage of in Michigan's upper peninsula every November has sold their plot, BUT don't have to vacate till beginning of December. Soo, I have one more year to enjoy the great U.P. They have been on the market for 2+ months, and I thought my chances were nill. Just dammmmm glad to get one more year in utopia.

Seeing how this is my last year for my U.P. excursion, had to think long and hard which 99 would get the call. My 1939 R in 300 savage with Stith mount and 1.5x5-20 Leupold Vari-X III will get the nod. Thursday went to the range and sighted the R in. Loves Varget and 150 grain Partitions. The 1927 99 F wearing a Lyman 29 1/2 in 303 came in a close 2nd. Can't wait. Going to be a long 3 1/2 weeks till then.

"Its easier to fool people......Than convince them that they have been fooled." Mark Twain
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Best of luck to you, Jerry. I know first hand what it is to have that ONE special place to hunt and think there's a great chance you won't be able to hunt there again. That "R" will do anything you ask of it.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Good choices. Prewar R and Partitions.. you're set for anything you'll run into. Bring back pics!

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I live in Escanaba. There are plenty of other places to go up here. Took my boys out on the youth hunt and seen 12-14 deer over the weekend on public land. 2 of those deer were bucks. Not big enough though.

The UP is an incredible place. Went hunting this morning for deer, and now I am about to take the boat out for walleye. Tomorrow morning is grouse with my German wire hair.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great News

Best of Luck

"Don't act like you're not impressed!" (Ron Burgandy)
NRA 4-Life
Americans 4 American Workers .com " I Buy American "
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Good luck, Jerry. My friend has 365 acres a few miles from my place in WV. His neighbor has 500 acres, and they have 6 guys that live in the UP that come to WV every year. I asked him why they would leave paradise to come to the land of little deer. Turns out they all grew up around, and hunted the 500 acre farm, so it's like a reunion. For that reason, I said OK.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Best of luck Jerry. I think i will be looking for a new hunting spot soon myself. The place i hunt now is private land but the land owners neighbors dont think it is. If it was mine things would be different.

Joe

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
Best of luck to you, Jerry. I know first hand what it is to have that ONE special place to hunt and think there's a great chance you won't be able to hunt there again. That "R" will do anything you ask of it.

I'm kinda bummed out this is my last year hunting this plot, but focusing on making it a memorable one. And yes, the R will keep up its end of the deal.

Originally Posted by Calhoun
Good choices. Prewar R and Partitions.. you're set for anything you'll run into. Bring back pics!

I sincerely hope I can post pics which will make my 99 R proud. Its a beautiful specimen of a shootin iron, and its accuracy definitely instills confidence. no second guessing on that choice of rifle.

Originally Posted by RAS
I live in Escanaba. There are plenty of other places to go up here. Took my boys out on the youth hunt and seen 12-14 deer over the weekend on public land. 2 of those deer were bucks. Not big enough though.

The UP is an incredible place. Went hunting this morning for deer, and now I am about to take the boat out for walleye. Tomorrow morning is grouse with my German wire hair.

I love the U.P. so much I just might have to pick your fertile brain in the future for potential U.P. spots to focus on.

Like I said in original post, gonna be a long 3+ weeks till I point the Silverado north bound. Can't wait.

Good luck, and safe hunting to all.

"Its easier to fool people......Than convince them that they have been fooled." Mark Twain
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Glad to hear that you got another season at your spot! Iv been out 5 times so far and Not even seen a deer! Cadillac had a gun show today saw 5 99s 3 were EGs in 300sav, with Willams side mounts! Met a fellow with one in 30-30 with dandy wood. Told him about this site and hopes he will Join the group here! the 5th one was a "C" in 243

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (35, 7mm_Loco, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 7 invisible), 1,602 guests, and 736 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,547
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.