24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Rebated Precision Magnum , heck of a name isn't it ? Cool part about it (or maybe downside), is it uses the .473" bolt face, and can be built on about any long action. Also utilizes the 3.34" COAL.

IMO I think the 6.5/.264" class is too "busy" right now. I believe this would have been a good chance to make a fine, new 6.25mm. Unless I've missed something, the last new .25" was the WSSM.

So what do you guys think of it as it stands, and do you think my idea would have been better? Maybe even a .277", and call it the 6.8 JOM (Jack O'connor Magnum)?

Attached Images
BP-B6

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Nothing wrong with it. Bout the same as a 6.5 ai which ain't a bad place to be.

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
On paper, it is one of the most sensible non-Magnum, ‘06-length action cartridges to ever come along. We’re getting .264 Win Mag performance with no belt and a much friendlier design for loading long, high-BC 6.5 bullets. The size of the bolt face means a huge number of current rifles can easily be rebarreled for it. Folks are just getting sick of unnecessary recoil and modern, enlightened hunters have figured out you don’t need a .300 RUM or .300 Roy or .338 Win Mag or .340 Roy to kill a deer or elk. It is much easier to do it with a high-SD 6.5 that is easy to practice and shoot well with. This one isn’t over-bored, either, and seems to represent a very good balance between ultimate performance and efficiency.

As much as I hate to say it, as a very big .25-‘06 fan, the quarter bores are just about done. Same for .277s if you really get down to it. Not much you can do with their lower-BC/SD bullets that you can’t do better with a 6.5 or 7mm.

I haven’t played with a 6.5 WBY RPM yet, but I’m already stoked for it. I used the .270 WBY MAG for a long time and thought it may have been the ultimate one-rifle solution for all hooved game animals worldwide. It’s an almost perfect balance between wicked killing power and manageable recoil. This new 6.5 is even better with its higher BC and SD bullets, wider selection of bullets and essentially equal recoil.

I want one.

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I want one too....

The 6.5 prc, 6.5gap 4s , 6.5 wsm guys are bitchin already... there's room for the 3 twins, when the prc is the most legit, though some think it's cool to say , (6.5gap4s)..... Haha

Ain’t easy havin pals.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Looks like they accomplished the feat of achieving short action performance in a long action cartridge. Brilliant!

IC B2

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by seattlesetters
On paper, it is one of the most sensible non-Magnum, ‘06-length action cartridges to ever come along. We’re getting .264 Win Mag performance with no belt and a much friendlier design for loading long, high-BC 6.5 bullets. The size of the bolt face means a huge number of current rifles can easily be rebarreled for it. Folks are just getting sick of unnecessary recoil and modern, enlightened hunters have figured out you don’t need a .300 RUM or .300 Roy or .338 Win Mag or .340 Roy to kill a deer or elk. It is much easier to do it with a high-SD 6.5 that is easy to practice and shoot well with. This one isn’t over-bored, either, and seems to represent a very good balance between ultimate performance and efficiency.

As much as I hate to say it, as a very big .25-‘06 fan, the quarter bores are just about done. Same for .277s if you really get down to it. Not much you can do with their lower-BC/SD bullets that you can’t do better with a 6.5 or 7mm.

I haven’t played with a 6.5 WBY RPM yet, but I’m already stoked for it. I used the .270 WBY MAG for a long time and thought it may have been the ultimate one-rifle solution for all hooved game animals worldwide. It’s an almost perfect balance between wicked killing power and manageable recoil. This new 6.5 is even better with its higher BC and SD bullets, wider selection of bullets and essentially equal recoil.

I want one.

Well now don't get me wrong, I know it doesn't take a .338 Win Mag to kill deer, but that is my favorite deer round. A 210 Partition or 225 Accubond at around 2700 is just dandy. Now I will say, I didn't keep my .300 RUM very long, just couldn't find love for it like my Win Mags. But back to the .338 for deer, I love the .308 Win and all its kids, and I'm thinking a compact .338 Federal with those same 210 Partitions would be just as handy around here.

But I still think the WBY RPM should have been at the very least, a 7mm non-mag. I guess I've just had my belly full of 6.5's, to the point of not wanting to shoot my .264 WM.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
A little confused, looks like a long action cartridge with minor gains over the short action 6.5 PRC. Not to mention switching to a rebated rim for it. Any idea on case capacity?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Don’t think they care about action length, as they accomplished a sub 5lb rifle with a “long” action...

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 7point62mag
Originally Posted by seattlesetters

I want one.

Well now don't get me wrong, I know it doesn't take a .338 Win Mag to kill deer, but that is my favorite deer round. A 210 Partition or 225 Accubond at around 2700 is just dandy. Now I will say, I didn't keep my .300 RUM very long, just couldn't find love for it like my Win Mags. But back to the .338 for deer, I love the .308 Win and all its kids, and I'm thinking a compact .338 Federal with those same 210 Partitions would be just as handy around here.

But I still think the WBY RPM should have been at the very least, a 7mm non-mag. I guess I've just had my belly full of 6.5's, to the point of not wanting to shoot my .264 WM.

I love the .338 Federal. Killed deer and elk in the woods with the 160 TTSX, 180 AB, 200 Fusion, 200 SST and 210 NPT, with the TTSX and SST being my two favorites. It smacks the crap outta critters within 300 yards and makes about the best woods rifle around.

There is a niche for this new Weatherby RPM. The new cartridges developed for the 6.5 bullet have all been short action or huge, over-bored numbers like the 26 Nosler and 6.5-300 Wby. This essentially gives .264 WM performance in a non-Magnum, .30-06 length/boltface cartridge that allows a new barrel to be screwed onto thousands of old .25-06, .270 Win, .280 Rem and .30-06 rifles.

I think everyone would agree that .264 WM performance is about the max sweet spot for 6.5 bullets, and an excellent place to be for an easier, new cartridge.

Last edited by seattlesetters; 10/19/19.

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pheasant665
A little confused, looks like a long action cartridge with minor gains over the short action 6.5 PRC. Not to mention switching to a rebated rim for it. Any idea on case capacity?

From what I have read, the water capacity of the 6.5 WBY RPM is 81g, the 264 Win Mag is 82g, and the 6.5 PRC is 62g.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Judman, I just saw that chart on that other thread and was going to update my post. You beat me to it. The volumes differ from what JB wrote in his article. https://www.rifleshootermag.com/editorial/6.5-prc-load-data/361500

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
👍 wouldn’t think it would be so hard to get capacity’s dialed. I find it interesting a select few 6.5-284 shooters get 200 FPS over the saum and prc with less powder?? Grin

Ain’t easy havin pals.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I would like to see some fast twist 270s and this one would be a good candidate. Same for the 25s. Both calibers have more high BC bullets available then ever before. I think the 6.5 niches are all covered three times over. I also like cartridges with more than a single source of brass.

What will sell this cartridge is the platform of magnum performance in a light weight rifle. Me I want a fast twist 257 Weatherby more than another 6.5.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
If someone could build a “lightweight “ scope that did what it’s supposed too, all this would be moot...

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
It is funny, titanium actions, carbon fiber snouts, and 3lb scopes!!! Haha

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I have two 264’s, think I will stick with them. I have a 26 Nosler I like a lot also.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
692 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 72 invisible), 3,108 guests, and 1,439 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,679
Posts18,399,604
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.