Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, I only have this one bid and so far they're in last place... wink

Got a PM that recommended some reputable local installers, I've contacted them and will be getting more bids on Monday or Tuesday.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
BP-B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
That sounds extremely high to me. We had a heater replaced here at my house about 3 years ago and it seems like it was around $4500. My house is only a little bigger than at 1500 SF.
I know a lady that got taken by a company that "LEASED" her a new heater, AC, and Hot Water heater on a 10 year payment plan. Man, did she get taken. Be careful out there. Some unscrupulous people.
Did you get a quote from anyone on what it would take to just FIX it? This isn't the time of year you find good deals on heaters. Maybe get it replaced next summer when the prices are down. Just a thought.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Look at warranties and cost of replacement parts.

Hey-- they all do the same thing, so how much do you want to spend to get the same -??

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
we replaced a cast-iron gas unit with a stainless steel unit when the after years of extreme wear the ci unit developed a crack. service man flagged it as unsafe.

we walked, we talked and took bids and discussed all the issues with furnace salesmen who all drove new trucks and talked like they knew it all. and maybe they did.

anyways we settled on an updated trane in both the air conditioner unit and high efficiency gas furnace. we kept our wood heater, just in case.

i think one of the issues now is parts: who makes them, who supplies them, and how much do they cost?

with global warming, maybe the furnaces will become obsolete soon enough.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Another question.

I've been reading up on single sage vs. two stage compressors for a/c. The single stage types focus on cooling a house down quickly at the expense of more energy consumption, while the two stage is a bit slower to cool but then slows down to keep the room cool, the benefit being lower energy usage. as I go into retirement the idea of lower operating costs is definitely appealing since electric bills keep going up and up.

Given that I have a one story 1100 sq. ft. house, albeit the main room has a 12 foot ceiling, could I expect a really significant decrease in energy usage?

Have been getting bids on 13-14 SEER single stage units but a slightly larger initial cost offset by long term reduction in electric bills is a good trade to me, if the actual reduction is significant.

Added: Only have two bids so far, getting two more today, but one for a York a/c furnace combo is offering a 10 year parts and 10 year labor warranty. Apparently York normally only offers a 5 year parts warranty but is running this special through December. Reviews show the York costs a bit more on average than competing brands but the outdoor unit is extremely rugged and should last a very long time.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B2

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
679 members (1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 79 invisible), 2,899 guests, and 1,421 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,670
Posts18,399,478
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.