Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
We live in a 1930's house, and I realized we had termites when they swarmed in the bathroom.

Had the termite guys come out and crawl around underneath to locate where they were coming in, do the treatment (we're on pier and beam and they had to treat around every pier), and got on the yearly plan. (After the full treatment, we pay $65/year and they come out once a year and check, and if they find any signs, they treat again and that's all we pay.) So far, they haven't been back, and that's been several years ago.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We rented a house in Virginia that turned out to be infested. I must have been about 4 and Mom's youngest sister was living with us. We came home one evening after going out for dinner I suppose and the kitchen floor was covered with the things. The women folk freaked out which I'm sure is why I remember it. I thought it was cool if a little scary. I'm sure the landlord took care of it ( the days of chlordane) but we didn't live there much longer.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Sold one back when you could still spray with chlordane. They destroyed a wooden fence and started in on the house. Wasn’t a big issue with the buyer.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Every house in FL has termites eventually.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by local_dirt

That seems to be true.
I've always wondered how often termites actually trash a concrete block house to the point that the roof integrity is compromised.

Last edited by night_owl; 10/19/19.

abusus non tollit usum
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Formosan termites. Eat creosoted light poles, the paper on sheetrock, and I have heard, live oak trees.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Midwest terminites are easy to see / and get rid of, they leave mud trails everywhere.

Florida termites apparently are much harder to detect.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No, have not owned a home with termite infestation, but have been a victim of the "termite infestation" scam when selling an un-infested home.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by CCCC
No, have not owned a home with termite infestation, but have been a victim of the "termite infestation" scam when selling an un-infested home.

So have I. First house I ever bought and rehabbed. It was my primary residence at the time. Mortgage broker was silent partner in termite/pest business.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
M
M
My current house was smashed by termites before we bought it, a reticulation system and Termidoor sorted the bastards out! It good stuff.

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Fairly common here. The Spring swarmers are easy to spot. They have wings and are in the room vs. in the wall.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
When you hear them going past you you never forget the sound.

But i don't think one can be heard that hits you.

Wow this went some where it was not supposed to go.

Last edited by plainsman456; 10/19/19.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
my first house had them. terminix treated it and i paid something like 100 bucks a year for them to do it every year. i never saw any damage from them. now carpenter ants, those fuggers did a number on the rim joists behind my front porch. when i tore it off they fell out of there by the handful i sprayed the schit out of them with something and patched the bad spots with pressure treated lumber and put the new porch on. house is still standing and so is the porch and thats 25 years ago.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Buy some TERMIDOR and do the treatment yourself - problem solved!

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
That’s one problem I haven’t had, thank goodness

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by local_dirt

Had a house in Ormond Beach tented ...Had to have floor joists replaced, old house on a crawl space.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes had an older house in Utah that had them. They were the type Spotshooter mentioned that leave mud tunnels. I did the treatment myself using diazinon termite pesticide. This was many years ago.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rem141r
my first house had them. terminix treated it and i paid something like 100 bucks a year for them to do it every year. i never saw any damage from them. now carpenter ants, those fuggers did a number on the rim joists behind my front porch. when i tore it off they fell out of there by the handful i sprayed the schit out of them with something and patched the bad spots with pressure treated lumber and put the new porch on. house is still standing and so is the porch and thats 25 years ago.

Nice work, rem.

I replaced several rows of rafters on the trusses in one of my properties. That was 15 yrs ago. Probably have to replace a few more now.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've owned many houses that either had previous termite damage that had to be remediated, or active ones that had to be treated.

The treatment always worked really well and got rid of them.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
If you have lived in the southeastern part of the country for any significant amount of time, you have likely lived in a home with infestation, or at least old infestation.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

417 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 16penny, 12savage, 10gaugeman, 44 invisible), 2,923 guests, and 1,160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,580
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.