Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by Quak
Those wolf soft points actually worked damn well. I used to buy them from cabelas 1000 at a time in a plastic ammo can for $89 every day price.

Worked great on whitetail and was cheeky enough for targets as well.

I got 500 rounds of Silver Bear 125gr SP's to start with.

From the reviews they run really well in AR's and mushroom well.

Both work well on hogs out of my Ruger American Ranch Rifle

Good deal!

I'm gonna warm it up on them!

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No......Mackay Sagebrush did everything he could to talk me into the 7.62 but I just couldn't go there.

12 twist 223 shooting Barnes 70gr TSX....would probably work for hog and I already know it'll kill Deer.

Not sure how they'll work on Zombies or Antifer's......yet.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Antifers... grin

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
It should work.

I would just stay away from the steel bullet hollow points,even rocks have a hard time getting them to work.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Ruger Mini-30-Custom 308 bore barrel.

125gr Nosler BT-28gr Accurate 1680---2500fps.---Honest 1MOA

I shot a lot of deer with this little peashooter as did all the young hunters at deer camp. It was a favorite for me and the young ens back in the day.

It will do the job out to 150 yards, but I keep it 100 or less.

I don't walk-n-stalk as much as I used to, in fact not at all, I am a stationary stand hunter these days and my area is open out to 250 yards so the Peashooter only comes out to play on range days and sits in the safe during hunting season.

Last edited by steve4102; 10/19/19.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Got an upper coming. smile

I couldn't resist cheap ammo with hard hitting soft point bullets. Hogs mainly. Maybe a deer now and then...

Ranges I plan are under 150 yards.

Should be about like a 30-30 for that application...

Anyone been using one?

How's it work?

Depending...

Some of the 7.62x39 AR's are considered Jamo-Matics.

Mine is a Armalite complete rifle and never misses a beat. A buddy of mine has an upper, don't remember by whom, and it is far from reliable.

Good luck, mags are key to getting this round to function in an AR.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I used to shoot a hollowpoint round as well as a soft point in the 7.62x39. Good shooting round and way underrated IMO. Never had any issues with taking game with it. Reliable as all get out and pretty darn accurate to boot. Smoked a couple of piggies with my Chinese SKS as well as a few deer. Shot iron sights as well, and honestly felt quite comfortable out to 100 yards without the glass. Could never locate a scope mount for it that I really liked, so it got morphed into more of an assault type setup with a Tapco stock and mags. Thousands of rounds through it and it performs flawlessly.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by steve4102

I'd sure be pleased with that!

What rifle? The Armalite?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Barry,
Yes!
Had an old Colt carbine upper lying around that I'd bought cheap many years ago...slapped it on a new RR lower, Geissele SSAE trigger, and changed the hand guard to a FF DPMS. It shot about 1 1/2" with Winchester 123 gr. SP's. I started loading 123 TSX's over RL 7, in WW brass and the groups went to an honest 1"! I killed a lot of pigs in the first year with a Leupold 3.5x10x50mm and a Lightforce 170mm light. The following year I put a gen 3 D740 on it and the hogs have really suffered ever since!
The TSX is definitely the way to go for hogs!
Good luck! It's a great hog cartridge !

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I couldn't resist cheap ammo with hard hitting soft point bullets. Hogs mainly. Maybe a deer now and then...

Anyone been using one?

How's it work?

It will do anythig a 30-30 will do for deer. I've taken several with an SKS. At ranges under 150y, it's effective. Not much else to say.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S

I'd sure be pleased with that!

What rifle? The Armalite?

The Ruger

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
I am shooting a Ruger America Ranch Rifle in 7.62x39. New Hornady cases, the Sierra 125 grain Pro Hunter bullet, and IMR4198 powder. Accurate, and zippy. Hope to shoot a deer next month with it.

Sam......

J
J23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I spent two seasons with a little CZ 527 Carbine with little 4x Burris Compact on top. I ran 125(123?) grain .310" Hornady VMax at about 2250 out of the short tube.

I shot 3 does and a smallish buck in two seasons at my buddies farm, filling the freezer. All under 100 yards. Bang flop on three of them, the forth died after literally taking 3 bounds and diving off a ridgetop and into a ravine. It took 3 guys, a four-wheeler with a winch, and about 100 foot of tow strap to get it out.

..but I digress...

Handy little booger. Efficient killer of deer and fun to shoot. Little noise. No recoil. It was a pretty accurate little set up too.

I regret selling that one.

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

"Idolizing a politician is like believing the stripper really likes you."
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Little people hunted me with that round for years. Didn't work out well for them. Some even had plastic stocks and grips.

Glad you made it back ok, DD.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I am shooting a Ruger America Ranch Rifle in 7.62x39. New Hornady cases, the Sierra 125 grain Pro Hunter bullet, and IMR4198 powder. Accurate, and zippy. Hope to shoot a deer next month with it.

.311 or .308?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

.311 or .308?

The new Rugers are supposed to have .311 bores. I haven’t checked mine. It’s accurate even with the cheap Russian ammo, though.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I just got back from my stand tonight with PPU 7.62x39 JSP in my stainless Mini Thirty. I love the x39 for whitetail brush hunting.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B

Anyone been using one?

How's it work?

Depending...

Some of the 7.62x39 AR's are considered Jamo-Matics.

Mine is a Armalite complete rifle and never misses a beat. A buddy of mine has an upper, don't remember by whom, and it is far from reliable.

Good luck, mags are key to getting this round to function in an AR.

Use ASC mags and you will be fine

Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Quak
Those wolf soft points actually worked damn well. I used to buy them from cabelas 1000 at a time in a plastic ammo can for $89 every day price.

Worked great on whitetail and was cheeky enough for targets as well.

Indeed. My gun show price way back then was $79/1000...

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

623 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 1234, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 57 invisible), 1,990 guests, and 1,083 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,190
Posts18,465,790
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.