Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
This is my first thread here on 24HrCF. I've read a lot of good posts and there seems to be a wealth of knowledge on this forum. Looking forward to contributing where possible.

I decided at the last minute to head to the deer woods this afternoon despite a steady rain, fully expecting it to lighten up towards late afternoon. Nevertheless, I went in full rain gear and brought the stainless Mini-30 with Hogue stock along. I have to say I've never hunted in a steady rain and after 45 minutes I was thinking twice about whether to stay. Stood another 1/2 hour and started to get packed up when out of the corner of my eye appears a medium size doe. I froze, she froze, and we watched each other for a bit. After about five minutes I looked away to see if any others were joining her and brushed against the tree... off she went through the heavy brush like it wasn't even there.

Even though I would typically not hunt in steady rain, just wondering how many here have seen and killed decent bucks during bad weather?

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have killed a couple bucks in the rain

I think personally why don't people kill deer in the rain because they don't hunt the rain

Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Thanks Wreck. You're welcome.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
If one stays with it it can pay off.

Some just don't like to get wet.

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Its been tough hunting for me...but i still try. Your a hunter...what else are you going to do? Stay in camp?

GOD Bless America
IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I’ve killed a few good deer in the rain. The only time I dont hunt the heavy rain is archery. I hunt hard just before and just after the storm system. Killed a real good archery buck after a 3 day storm a few years back. Oct 23 I got in my stand around 10am. Somewhere around 11 am the rain tapered off. Between 11a -1p, I passed up 2 does and 12 little bucks when he came thru. Arrow thru the lungs and he ranked #98 on the all time list for my state. HEAVILY pressured public land deer.

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Yeah, a light rain for sure can have good hunting. A bad early cold spell before they have adapted to it can lay the deer and squirrels low. After getting used to the cold it seems to get them moving to stay warm. At times. It seems. (For the biitches, you know). wink

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by hunter4623
I’ve killed a few good deer in the rain. The only time I dont hunt the heavy rain is archery. I hunt hard just before and just after the storm system. Killed a real good archery buck after a 3 day storm a few years back. Oct 23 I got in my stand around 10am. Somewhere around 11 am the rain tapered off. Between 11a -1p, I passed up 2 does and 12 little bucks when he came thru. Arrow thru the lungs and he ranked #98 on the all time list for my state. HEAVILY pressured public land deer.

Good job, hunter.

I'd like to see a pic of that hoss.

Last edited by jaguartx; 10/19/19.

I Dindo Nuffin
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Passed on three bucks during the opener monsoon two yrs ago.
Not worth it IMHO.
Friggin Ruger #1 RSI too.

Bought me a synth bolt rig for weather only half as crappy.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Light rain has been good hunting for me. Heavy rain blows.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If I waited for good weather here I’d not hunt much.

Yup.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Deer don't care much about rain unless it's a storm. They'll still move and if you happen to be there after the rain, you'll really see a lot of deer.

It's funny watching them shake the water off. smile

Politics is War by Other Means
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
archery i don`t like to hunt in the rain blood trails get washed away by a arrow hit deer,but rifle hunting if you use a bigger cartridge that will drop the deer its no problem,deer do move in the rain especially bucks.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
160ish inch buck in an area that a decent buck is about 120, pouring rain, thunderstorm going through with a front. I left camp early that morning so Tiger and I got across the creek before it flooded. We sat in the Suzuki a bit as it poured, let up just a bit and climbed up in the stand and as we did there were a LOT of deer out, in steady rain. Got wet climbing up in the stand. Had to find a box of ammo in the backpack, get the mutt muffs on tiger etc... before I could shoot the deer.

We hunt in the rain. We hunt archery in the rain. No different than gun.

You won't kill em on the couch.

Now sometimes they dont' move in rain once its set in until after a day or three.

They almost ALWAYS move right as it quits or lets up so why not be out there. We used to sit tight and then try to get into a tree before they came out... Nope, lost that so learned to go out and sit. If archery we'd wear good rain gear. As it let up, take the top off so we were quiet on the draw.

That said there are times we just prefer not to hunt in rain or sleet or snow etc.... or even heat.

And you dont' always see or kill deer in rain. And for sure not always big bucks, big bucks are were they are when they are. I don't think the weather makes em much difference.

The only weather we usually don't see a lot of movement in is wind. Higher the less we see. Not really talking a norther blowing in but sustained wind storms. Ugh.

And as AK Duck notes in AK if you wait for good weather you might not hunt at all. Especially the area he is from in AK.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
wreckster84, welcome to the campfire. A light rain will get deer moving. A heavy rain will usually get them holed up because they can't hear or smell threats. If a storm is coming you want to be out before it passes and the deer start moving. I've killed a few deer in rain.

Last edited by Dave_in_WV; 10/19/19.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
I grew up in Louisiana, and killed a few bucks, though none big. If you hunt in Louisiana, you hunt in the rain....a lot! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Best weather for hunting blacktail bucks outside the rut and in the woods, heavy downpour. Your best chance to see them before they hear you. And after it quits, they're on the move, maybe.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
A 10'x10' silnylon tarp and your trekking poles make long days in the mountains a lot more fun.

A wise man once said "there is no bad weather, only bad gear"grin

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Isn't that why they make blinds?

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
[align:center][/align]The harsher the weather the more predictable deer become...

Be in rain, wind, heat or cold....

Half of the big deer I've killed have been playing the percentages on weather and where stuff should be at the time....

Cannot kill them sitting on the couch. They are still out there in the wind and rain. Put your mind to what they, or you, would do with the conditions ...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 163bc, 70 invisible), 2,460 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,541
Posts18,453,175
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.