Hop To
S
szihn Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
This one is a Remington M81.
I have a friend who just picked one up at a yard sale. He brought it over to bait me with it. It worked too. Now I am going to have to do some gunsmithing in trade to get it. We shot it today in cloudy skies and I did quite well with it so it's accurate enough 100% original, so I will not make nay modification at all on the old gun.
I shot 40 grain of 4064 and a 150 grain Remington Core-Lokts bullet and shot a good tight little group at 100 yards. The zero was off about 5" but the group is tight.
So now one more of my "hope to get someday guns" is off my list.
Maybe I can kill a deer with it before the 2019 season is over.

GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
One of these days, I plan to own a Remington model 722, chambered for 300 Savage. I am still not sure why, other than because I want one.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very cool!

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
One of these days, I plan to own a Remington model 722, chambered for 300 Savage. I am still not sure why, other than because I want one.

Like this one?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

300jimmy enabled me with this years ago, and it’s among my absolute favorites. It stacks 130 grain TTSX’s one atop the other, and all the punishment stays downrange, where it belongs.

I just mounted the Burris 1-6 with the illuminated dot, so my go-to hog getter is now even better.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have always considered the .300 Savage to be a well-balanced cartridge for shots that would be taken in a "woods" type environment and not be overly destructive, but still has enough steam to reach across a field out to about 400 yards or so.

Case design was ahead of its time, too.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The is a 5-diamond 760 in 300 Savage at the Cabela's in LaVista, NE

Back in the late 1980's I made a bit of pocket money cutting down 722s in 222 and 300 Savage for people who wanted carbines but didn't want to pay for 600/660s. I was buying them for under $150 and selling them for $250 with 20" barrels. I've heard that they show up occasionally advertised as "rare" 722 carbines.

In the mid-1990's I rechambered a 722 in 300 Savage to 30-284. I think that I have 2 or 3 722 take-off barrels in 300 Savage.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide

Like this one?

300jimmy enabled me with this years ago, and it’s among my absolute favorites. It stacks 130 grain TTSX’s one atop the other, and all the punishment stays downrange, where it belongs.

I just mounted the Burris 1-6 with the illuminated dot, so my go-to hog getter is now even better.

FC

Yep, that is the very rifle that started this...

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."

H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
It stacks 130 grain TTSX’s one atop the other, and all the punishment stays downrange, where it belongs.

FC, have you had the opportunity to use this bullet combo on game? If so, how did it perform at 300 Sav velocities?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I would check to see if your 300 Savage rifle is involved in a recall.I can't remember which manufacture was effected. My hunting buddy had one. He is gone now as well as his gun.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Hook
FC, have you had the opportunity to use this bullet combo on game? If so, how did it perform at 300 Sav velocities?

Yes, and it performs really well! Out of the aforementioned 722, and a 700 Classic, I got 'em a bit over 2,900 fps. They are hell on hogs from 20 paces to 50 yards or so. I think they bring the hogs closer to me, 'cause I've not yet had to shoot further than that with the bolt guns. 2 neck shots nearly took the entire head off.

In a Savage 99, I settled on 2,780 fps, because it liked them there. Knowledgeable folks have assured me the action would take more heat, but the accuracy was outstanding, so I went with it. And it netted me my first triple at 80 or 90 yards.

All loads were with H4895.

Steehead also had quite a bit of on-game experience with this bullet, and his results were also universally positive. I really think it breathes new life into the .300 Savage - extra speed, with plenty of toughness, and still gives good expansion. One could quibble about the long-range flight characteristics of the flat base design, but ".300 Savage" and "long range" aren't often breathed in the same sentence.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

Yes, and it performs really well! Out of the aforementioned 722, and a 700 Classic, I got 'em a bit over 2,900 fps. They are hell on hogs from 20 paces to 50 yards or so. I think they bring the hogs closer to me, 'cause I've not yet had to shoot further than that with the bolt guns. 2 neck shots nearly took the entire head off.

In a Savage 99, I settled on 2,780 fps, because it liked them there. Knowledgeable folks have assured me the action would take more heat, but the accuracy was outstanding, so I went with it. And it netted me my first triple at 80 or 90 yards.

All loads were with H4895.

Steehead also had quite a bit of on-game experience with this bullet, and his results were also universally positive. I really think it breathes new life into the .300 Savage - extra speed, with plenty of toughness, and still gives good expansion. One could quibble about the long-range flight characteristics of the flat base design, but ".300 Savage" and "long range" aren't often breathed in the same sentence.

FC

with open sights too. Nice. Wish I had somewhere to go shoot hogs like that

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Nice!!!!!

Molon Labe
S
szihn Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Well my 82 year old old friend Steven, who gave me the 81, borrowed it back for a few hours today and we took it out antelope hunting.
One down, with one shot. The old gun and the old man are still 100% able to put the game on the ground and the meat in the freezer.

The load was 40 grains of 4064 with a 150 grain Remington Core-Lokt in FC brass. I zeroed the rifle this morning at 100 yards. It groups a bit under 2" for me.(about 1-3/4")

At 146 yards (according to the range finder) the old man and old gun dropped the Antelope dead on the spot. I am very pleased with both the gun and my old friends shooting.

Last edited by szihn; 10/21/19.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by szihn
Well my 82 year old old friend Steven, who gave me the 81, borrowed it back for a few hours today and we took it out antelope hunting.
One down, with one shot. The old gun and the old man are still 100% able to put the game on the ground and the neat in the freezer.

The load was 40 grains of 4064 with a 150 grain Remington Core-Lokt in FC brass. I zeroed the rifle this morning at 100 yards. It groups a bit under 2" for me.(about 1-3/4")

At 146 yards (according to the range finder) the old man and old gun dropped the Antelope dead on the spot. I am very pleased with both the gun and my old friends shooting.

Just like hearing about a kid taking their first head of game, I still smile when I hear of a hunter with several seasons behind him, still getting the job done. It is especially good to hear of one who gets it done with his trusted old stick.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I bought a Savage 99 in 300 Savage on Friday. Its a 1952 era R with a flip off scope mount system. I will probably take it off and run irons. It is a super good boat gun and while its nice its not a collector gun but a using gun.

H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H

In a Savage 99, I settled on 2,780 fps, because it liked them there. Knowledgeable folks have assured me the action would take more heat, but the accuracy was outstanding, so I went with it. And it netted me my first triple at 80 or 90 yard

FC

FC, I have a modern rendition on the M722. My son abandoned his M7 Rem in 7mmX08 and stole one of my Brno 22Fs. The M7 sat in the back of the safe for awhile because I didn't need another 7X08. Then I spotted a M700 take off bbl in 300 Sav for sale and jumped on it. The M7 looks a little funny with a 24" bbl on it, but it shoots so well I'm reluctant to cut it back as I originally planned.

Anyway, the reason I asked about the 130 TTSX performance at 300 Sav velocities is that I have a batch of reloads with them left over from a brief fling with a M99. They run about the same velocity as your M99 loads in my M7. I know I could heat them up a coupla hundred fps, but they group so well in the M7 that I'm going to use them up on whitetails. It looks like that bullet at that velocity works very well. I was concerned the TTSX wouldn't expand well enough at 2500-2700 fps. Guess not....

And Steve, great to hear your story about the 82 year old getting his buck. I am 70, turning 71 in December, and can see the handwriting on the wall. I hope and pray that the Lord allows me the privilege of being able to still hunt when I am 82.....and that I have a friend nice enough to take me!

Last edited by Hook; 10/22/19.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

240 members (16penny, 22kHornet, 1OntarioJim, 160user, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 23 invisible), 1,525 guests, and 937 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,177
Posts18,465,483
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.