Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
Woodleigh Weldcore or Swift A-Frame in 450gr or 500gr.

Either should exit except possibly on a full lengthwise shot.

In a stopping situation where you want the wound track to be wide as well as deep, I would never even vaguely consider any mono-metal bullet. The expansion is limited, and bullet failures are common.

Woodliegh bullets are soft and lack penetration. Mono's like the TSX or TTSX produce excellent expansion and great penetration with monotonous regularity.
You post show a complete lack of reality.

Which is why they're used on cape buffalo all the time. You are full of steaming [bleep] laugh

GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
People here keep asking LB for some pictorial evidence of his field experience with Woodleighs, since he claims the 160 WL is the GREATEST elk bullet ever in the .264 Winchester Magnum.

Woodleighs retain a lot of weight, but they expand a LOT, which does not enhance penetration. In fact, probably the biggest bonded bullet I've seen fail to exit a small "big game" animal was a 340-grain .416 Woodleigh, started at around 2600 fps--found in front of the left shoulder of a fallow-deer doe that might have weighed 100 pounds. Now, it was an angling away shot, with the bullet entering the right rear of the ribs, but....

Once again proving that sectional density matters. A 350 .416 is a low-SD (light for caliber) bullet cataloged only for load duplication purposes in old Rigbys.. Penetrating the length of an animal while retaining weight is a good result in that case. The 400, 410 and 450gr weights you would expect a pass through. Similarly, the recommended .458 bullets with SDs > 0.3 you would expect deep penetration in a bear.

The physics of this really isn't that complicated, much as people try to pretend it is. Bring a high SD, retain weight, and operate in the velocity window of your soft and you will get a deep and wide wound cavity. Skip one of those three things, and either depth or width (or both) suffer.

Last edited by Llama_Bob; 10/19/19.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
People here keep asking LB for some pictorial evidence of his field experience with Woodleighs, since he claims the 160 WL is the GREATEST elk bullet ever in the .264 Winchester Magnum.

Woodleighs retain a lot of weight, but they expand a LOT, which does not enhance penetration. In fact, probably the biggest bonded bullet I've seen fail to exit a small "big game" animal was a 340-grain .416 Woodleigh, started at around 2600 fps--found in front of the left shoulder of a fallow-deer doe that might have weighed 100 pounds. Now, it was an angling away shot, with the bullet entering the right rear of the ribs, but....

Once again proving that sectional density matters. A 350 .416 is a low-SD (light for caliber) bullet cataloged only for load duplication purposes in old Rigbys.. Penetrating the length of an animal while retaining weight is a good result in that case. The 400, 410 and 450gr weights you would expect a pass through. Similarly, the recommended .458 bullets with SDs > 0.3 you would expect deep penetration in a bear.

The physics of this really isn't that complicated, much as people try to pretend it is. Bring a high SD, retain weight, and operate in the velocity window of your soft and you will get a deep and wide wound cavity. Skip one of those three things, and either depth or weight (or both) suffer.

Physics, expect?

What have you SEEN?

DF

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I've seen bullets works exactly as their design says they should. It's really not that complicated. If your bullets retains weight, expands, and has a high SD it will produce a deep and wide wound cavity which is really all you can ask it to do.

If all you want only a deep wound cavity (which is a somewhat inferior choice for stopping, but I care not one whit if some of you are eaten by a bear), Cutting Edge and formerly Northfork make wide flat meplat solids with sharp corners that would easily pass through 2 and likely 3 bears depending on angle.

If you want an even narrower wound cavity, the mono-metal "expanding" bullets (that rarely expand) are waiting for you. Their wound channels are worse than a wide flat meplat solid, but as I said I care very little what happens to certain people.

If you want to do it right, you'll use a high-SD, high weight retention soft. The A-Frame and Weldcore both work well. The Partition sheds about 30% of its weight but is better than a cup and core.

It's not that hard.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
I've seen bullets works exactly as their design says they should. It's really not that complicated. If your bullets retains weight, expands, and has a high SD it will produce a deep and wide wound cavity which is really all you can ask it to do.

If all you want only a deep wound cavity (which is a somewhat inferior choice for stopping, but I care not one whit if some of you are eaten by a bear), Cutting Edge and formerly Northfork make wide flat meplat solids with sharp corners that would easily pass through 2 and likely 3 bears depending on angle.

If you want an even narrower wound cavity, the mono-metal "expanding" bullets (that rarely expand) are waiting for you. Their wound channels are worse than a wide flat meplat solid, but as I said I care very little what happens to certain people.

If you want to do it right, you'll use a high-SD, high weight retention soft. The A-Frame and Weldcore both work well. The Partition sheds about 30% of its weight but is better than a cup and core.

It's not that hard.

Yoh must be Lee24

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
This dope is Larry Root

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Ahh, the whole clown college is here. I love how you guys get so consistently and frequently owned by ballistics facts that you're all convinced I'm someone who previously humiliated you, but you can't decide who. That's remarkably special laugh

R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
You say mono metal.

I"ll just say if you think any of todays Barnes don't ever or very rarely expand you have not shot them at all.

I've yet to see one NOT expand. There could always be a first, but FAR from what you expound on.

You are mostly alone in your thoughts of Barnes rarely if ever expanding is all I can say.

And if you are on here with yet another name, folks like that I have zero respect for.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you want an even narrower wound cavity, the mono-metal "expanding" bullets (that rarely expand) are waiting for you. Their wound channels are worse than a wide flat meplat solid

Heh

Seems like the whole X-bullet thing was a crock, folks should be shooting bar stock!

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Funnily enough, bore riding bar stock with driving bands isn't a horrible solution to the problem of an effective wounding solid as long as your gun can feed/chamber and stabilize it.

The problem with a bullet like the TSX that fails to expand is that as a solid it sucks. The spire point shape produces a tiny stretched rather than cut wound cavity with a propensity to seal up, especially in fatty animals like bears. I see several wounds a year like that in elk and bears. It's pretty pathetic really. The TTSXs don't seem to be much better. It's exactly the same problem you get when people try to use FMJ military projectiles for hunting.

Weldcores and A-Frames will get the job done in terms of expansion and penetration. If you're super worried about the Weldcores being too soft (they're not - they're just right IF you're smart enough to read the impact velocity off the box) then use the A-Frame.

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
OP,
listen to .458 and take notes, he is the real deal for big bear hunting.

Originally Posted by JGRaider
This dope is Larry Root

That would explain the comments. If he mentions Brownell’s, gut shooting animals, or owning Ernest Hemingway’s Model 70 even though he cannot spell Hemingway, that will be proof positive.

R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Funnily enough, bore riding bar stock with driving bands isn't a horrible solution to the problem of an effective wounding solid as long as your gun can feed/chamber and stabilize it.

The problem with a bullet like the TSX that fails to expand is that as a solid it sucks. The spire point shape produces a tiny stretched rather than cut wound cavity with a propensity to seal up, especially in fatty animals like bears. I see several wounds a year like that in elk and bears. It's pretty pathetic really. The TTSXs don't seem to be much better. It's exactly the same problem you get when people try to use FMJ military projectiles for hunting.

Weldcores and A-Frames will get the job done in terms of expansion and penetration. If you're super worried about the Weldcores being too soft (they're not - they're just right IF you're smart enough to read the impact velocity off the box) then use the A-Frame.

If I were you I'd quit hunting. Pinedale might be happy then too. But you have the worst luck of anyone I've ever seen in regards to so many failures with Barnes...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by jeffbird
OP,
listen to .458 and take notes, he is the real deal for big bear hunting.

Originally Posted by JGRaider
This dope is Larry Root

That would explain the comments. If he mentions Brownell’s, gut shooting animals, or owning Ernest Hemingway’s Model 70 even though he cannot spell Hemingway, that will be proof positive.

Phil's killed more big bears, seen more killed on guided hunts than LB has read about on the innanet...

Ninja bear hunter...

LB's attitude's not too different from Larry Root. Thought Bricktop took care of ole Larry some time back...

Someone with computer skills needs to check IP addresses and see if LB and LR are one and the same.

DF

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Why would I quit hunting because other people choose poorly designed bullets that produce poor wound channels? That makes no sense whatsoever.

Life's got a funny sense of humor though - a guy at the same trail head last year used a TTSX on a double lung/heart shot on a 5x6 bull. No chance of recovering the bullet, but the wound track was less than .30 and sealed on both ends as you would expect from a monolithic failure. The bull went "only" about 500y but it was down some ugly [bleep] and they had to take it out with pack llamas from the next access over. Dude almost killed himself trying to pack the first quarter out himself before he broke down and paid for the mini-camels.

Guess he should have used a Weldcore laugh

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Someone with computer skills needs to check IP addresses and see if LB and LR are one and the same.

Why look, it's another clown college alum laugh

You find someone smarter than you and have them do that. Reality is, lots of people think you're a dumbass, not just me and whoever Larry is.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Why look, it's another clown college alum laugh

You find someone smarter than you and have them do that. Reality is, lots of people think you're a dumbass, not just me and whoever Larry is.

Speculation. About as accurate as some of your other stuff.

Don't think you'd come out so well on an actual head count...

You may not be Larry, but for sure similar. So, you may not want to know about him.

DF

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Anybody who doesn't know who 458Win is, and why he might know a thing or two about bullets for big bears, might check out his website:
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
You just go right on speculating. I'll stick to the facts, like (T)TSXs suck, and the high-SD Weldcores are highly effective dangerous game bullets with excellent performance and more than capable of punching through a bear laugh

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
You just go right on speculating. I'll stick to the facts, like (T)TSXs suck, and the high-SD Weldcores are highly effective dangerous game bullets with excellent performance and more than capable of punching through a bear laugh

If you don't know who Mule Deer is, you may want to check out his credentials...

Right after you check out Phil's credentials...

DF

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Anybody who doesn't know who 458Win is, and why he might know a thing or two about bullets for big bears, might check out his website:
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Well I'm sure he'll come along and show us his recovered Weldcores that he thinks had inadequate penetration so we can decide if they failed or not. And possibly explain how he's getting large ENTRANCE wounds. Perhaps his big bears are so scary the bullets opened up before they arrived at the game laugh

Suffice to say more than a little about his story stinks, especially since he was extolling the same bullets' virtues a page back. But he's welcome to explain how a bullet that day in and day out gives excellent performance on cape buffalo doesn't penetrate enough for a bear. I've got plenty of popcorn ready for that one laugh

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

146 members (163bc, 44mc, 257 mag, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 15 invisible), 1,692 guests, and 901 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,236
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.