Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Dan;
Thanks kindly for the reply.

Indeed if I can borrow a phrase from a fellow Canuck Dr. Jordan Peterson - when you say "the deletion of such obligations has implications never imagined" I would say as Dr. Peterson is wont to - "we don't know".

Honestly I often use that with folks when having discussions of such import - we really do not know how bad some of this will be for us as a species do we?

Obligations - now that's a $3 dollar word is it not? Would be $4.15 in Canadian Loonies, but still it's something so foreign in concept anymore isn't it?

When discussing disarming the population as a remedy for random societal violence, I often opine that we - you in the US as well I'd guess - do not have a "tool problem" in that the availability of tool X, Y or AR won't solve or enhance the issue.

We have - in Canada anyway - lost all concept of obligation, of being responsible for anything or anyone or ever answering to the same.

Years and years back I hear a black chap from Washington DC make that assessment and I totally agree with him now as I did then.

Thanks again for the reply and enlightened exchange this evening sir, I very much appreciate it.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Spin up CCR's Bad Moon Rising. whistle

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by plainsman456
Spin up CCR's Bad Moon Rising. whistle

It ain’t here yet. But it’s coming.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

Finally, this being part of the media circus, the liberal frenzy to destroy this country, our home, is bizarre. It strikes me as a bit queer (pun intended) that something around half of our country, most of which who have never visited a third world country, wish to commit suicide. Well, lemmings do it, but that does not make it a good idea. Conceptually speaking I view people as equal across the board, this in context of God given rights. Realistically, they are not, and borders exist for a reason. There is nothing more sacrosanct than our liberty and freedom, but they are things that are ours. Foreigners of any brand do not share our heritage or rights in this land and do not have legal basis for crashing aboard at will. If they are too pussified to fix their own land I surely don't see benefit to having them here.

Classic stuff. Well stated.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Good to see you, Dwayne. Nicely put as always.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Required Military Service would be damned good for the snowflake’s kids they are raising nowadays.
It would be a rude awakening. Probably half of them would kill themselves if they had to do something besides play video games.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Bristoe
In times past all men could be drafted, and it was an experience that made men from boys. The deletion of such obligations has implications never imagined.

The answer to America's problems isn't to enslave to populace to serve the warmongers.

The warmongers in America aren't serving America's interests.

Think you misunderstood my thoughts on the first, though I agree with your second. You realize that registration with the Selective Service is still required?

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Charleston could deliver a speech! It'd be Interesting to know who wrote it. I suppose it could have been CH, but probably not.

"...sacred stuff in that wood stock and blued steel..."

Good stuff right there.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks DD - your post is thought-provoking and well done. After having observed and worried about such degradation starting in the1960s, I feel responsible for not having done more to deal with the causes and drivers of the values shift.

In my field of endeavor I did try both strongly and consistently, but now realize that such individual work was feeble in the face of the breadth and depth of the challenge. Obviously, my lack of interest or enthusiasm toward being a political type or a social activist/organizer was a deficit in that regard. Simply not my natural or even learned manner of dealing with issues and challenges. Probably should have jumped out of the comfort zone.

However, I do see some things that give hope - both in the general populace and in the political realm - but mostly in some of the young folks with whom I am privileged to associate. My personal prep is much like that of Kaywoodie, but am still working with the hope seen in those growing and coming along. Freedom is a huge incentive in many humans.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CCCC
Thanks DD - your post is thought-provoking and well done.

Among the best threads ever posted on this forum

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Who in the world raised all these snow flakes anyway?

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Required Military Service would be damned good for the snowflake’s kids they are raising nowadays.
It would be a rude awakening. Probably half of them would kill themselves if they had to do something besides play video games.

I've always been in favor of having a military obligation like Switzerland or like Sweden had before and up to and after WW2...

even with smaller populations, there is a reason neither were attacked by Nazi Germany during WW 2...

And to be a conservative and a patriot, to the liberal left, is against their leftist globalism ideologies...

democrats no longer exist in this country.... Its communism... regardless of what they want to call themselves..
but then again, communists have always loved to lie to the world and use the democratic in their titles..
DGR Deutsche Democratic Republic for instance..

communists need to be treated like communists should be treated...like we once did in this country...
to include the Antifa bums on the street corners in major cities...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looking back to younger days in contrast to today's affairs, it would be easy to become depressed. Contrasting men and women of yesteryear in comparison to the generation of snowflakes illustrates the chasm's edge upon which we stand.

I don't like to make sweeping generalizations about this generation. My neighbors son and his girlfriend joined us for a beer and pizza yesterday and this young (23) engineer continues to impress me with his drive, vision and commitment. 3 hours and not a single time did he (or his girlfriend) reach for their phones. We had enjoyable adult conversations. He talked about his masters program and job and travel and food and beer and generally living life. This is a kid who did not grow up wealthy by any means, worked through high school and college, found scholarships and grants and worked two jobs in the summer to make sure he graduated with a useful engineering degree and no debt from university of MD. I don't think they're unicorns but they do seem to be the minority.

It's interesting you bring up depression Dan. I caught up with an old college friend last week and I asked about his kids. He relayed something I have heard from others about their 20-30 year old children. He said "they have given up". Both his son and daughter (early 20's) simply believe the future is so dystopian that it's not worth trying. Not worth college or a trade school, or job, or god forbid thinking about a career, family and living life. They have been told this since they were toddlers by the media and had whatever the scare of the day pounded into them over and over again until they believe it with every fiber of their bodies. Global Climate change, collapsing economy, nuclear, bio terrorism, robots taking all the jobs, crushing personal debt they have had the negativism driven into them via every media channel. We're all going to die (apparently Tuesday or at the latest Thursday) . What bother? Seems to be their mantra.

I see the same thing here on the CF. There are many who buy into every chicken little scenario that they are fed. Look at the videos often posted. WTF, how can any believe that stuff when a simple search shows you it is either a complete fake or taking something we should know and running with it to the Nth degree with a level of absurdity that isn't remotely believable? The lack of critical thinking and ability to even question "does that make sense" astounds me here and polls show we're all at least a couple generations removed from the one we're talking about.

Guess what? Kids need to be shown the western world is still a pretty damn good place and full of opportunity. They will be required to make decisions though. It's rare to get to live exactly where you want, have a job you love and have all the money and other things desire without making compromises in one or the other and you will have to work your ass off when there are really other things you want to be doing than working. That's called life and adulthood. Kids that don't understand that need to get that lesson and it often means kicking them out of the nest.

When I read members slamming Californians (or many other state residents and they all suck except the one "you" live in grin) I put it in perspective. Those folks made decisions based on a series of factors and ended up there. I did it in MD. By the time we leave here we will have stayed (voluntarily as in when not on orders) for 25 years. That's a long time but in the whole perspective of my life, not really. We balanced careers and friends and decided this was our best opportunity. Make the best of it, plan for the exit and keep your eyes open for when that time is right.

Overall, a little more postive outlook would help a bunch of folks here. We have some great members who are not Pollyannas that are good examples.

I was planning on my wife and flying up the Appalachians today to do a little aerial fall foliage tour but alas Nestor has decided to make it a rainy day so that's out and even going to shoot sporting clays seems like a poor choice (and the new Gurieni is too new to expose it to that) so it looks like a little shop time getting stuff organized for deer season, loading some 6.5x55 rounds and we have a friend coming over for dinner later. Going to try to do some oil poached halibut and Souse Vide's carrots.

It's life. Make the best of it and show this generation how to live.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Pugs.... laugh

Nice post.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Well spoken Pugs and I do not disagree. There are those who are self propelled and will rise above the fray, both young and old. I have the pleasure of consorting with a fair number of "kids" that are so inclined and they make me smile. As you suggest however, I don't think they are a majority and the trend is unsettling.

In recent times I have looked to the broader family population with intent to pass along some family heirlooms. It includes art, historical documents and yes, a few firearms, directed at cousins and their kids, most of which are out and about in the professional world successfully. One item as example, was a citation given to my paternal grandfather, signed by Blackjack Pershing, which described his actions in France as part of the AEF and provided basis for the General pinning a DSC on gramp's tunic. It boggled my brain the lengths I traveled trying to find a home for the print and medal. Another still vexes my soul. The maternal grandfather was a mover and shaker back in the day and partnered with a fellow to invent the process for concentrating citrus juice just prior to WW2. His first gun was a Win 1890 chambered in .22 WRF, purchased during the first decade of the last century. It shows its age to be sure, but has no insulting damage and it still shoots quite well. The gun and a couple thousand rounds of recent production ammo beg for a home. You see, they can't be bothered with such mundane things apparently.

I do my best to show them how to live, perhaps they have different plans. I pray they don't wake up some day wishing they had paid more attention and been more thoughtful when I made the offers.

Baffled here in the swamps,

DD

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Bocajnala

-Jake

Teachers, schools, and colleges.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
People are interested in a wide range of things.

My wife isn't really into history or guns.

What shall I do now?

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by Bocajnala

-Jake

Teachers, schools, and colleges.

........and Boomers! grin

I am MAGA.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Thought about this thread last night. And came to the conclusion that I consider myself quite lucky as the vast majority of young folks I tend to hang around are extrememly versed in American and World history. They also have their heads on fairly straight and they are all gunowners. But it is also true they are the anomoly. But it does give me hope.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
People are interested in a wide range of things.

My wife isn't really into history or guns.

What shall I do now?

tell her to make you a sammich, man!
smile

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

422 members (1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 45 invisible), 2,395 guests, and 1,162 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,167
Posts18,465,325
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.