Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
Originally Posted by 458Win
I will answer right after you tell us your experiences with bears !

I love how you dodge, bob, and weave. Keep hiding and embarrassing yourself. It fits.

Suffice to say I've shot a bear or two, and done it with people far less clown-like than you.

Somebody seems to be an expert at dodge, bob and weave. And now that you claim to have shot a bear or two with people more qualified and less clown like than me I am sure we all would like to hear.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
BP-B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

This is true as far as goes, but the heavy models are designed to retain a MINIMUM of 75% of their weight

That's a laugh, since the Weldcores consistently retain 90%+.

I love it when the clowns make my point for me laugh Sectional density just keeps on keepin' on!

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

I love how you dodge, bob, and weave. Keep hiding and embarrassing yourself. It fits.

Suffice to say I've shot a bear or two, and done it with people far less clown-like than you.

Somebody seems to be an expert at dodge, bob and weave. And now that you claim to have shot a bear or two with people more qualified and less clown like than me I am sure we all would like to hear.

Not until you answer my three basic questions:
1) What was the penetration? A number of inches will suffice.
2) What bones were hit?
3) What was the retained weight of the bullet.

You are the one claiming there is something wrong with the Weldcore despite the facts to the contrary. YOU are the one who has to provide the facts to back that up.

If it makes you feel better, I will stipulate I have nowhere near the experience ass shooting bears (or any other game) that you do. I'm sure you're an undisputed expert at that shot angle.

Of course I know you will refuse to answer, because that's what clowns like you do. Clowns like you are always allergic to facts.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

This is true as far as goes, but the heavy models are designed to retain a MINIMUM of 75% of their weight

I love it when the clowns make my point for me laugh Sectional density just keeps on keepin' on!

What experiences can you share that prove your point ?

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
We're talking physics here. Facts are what matter, not "experience". You don't learn how to make a bullet shoot deeper. It either does or it doesn't.

Now, you can learn to shoot game in the ass, and it's quite clear you have. Bravo. That's experience, and you've got it.

I know you'll never provide the answers to my 3 questions, because they would embarrass you:
1) What was the penetration? A number of inches will suffice.
2) What bones were hit?
3) What was the retained weight of the bullet.

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Phil isn’t the one embarrassing himself here ...

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
And yet the facts keep being on my side, and the clowns keep failing to present any. Funny, that laugh

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
And yet the facts keep being on my side, and the clowns keep failing to present any. Funny, that laugh

That's funny as hell! You have no facts and no pictures.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

What experiences can you share that prove your point ?

He can't post any experience.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Seems we’ve all wasted way too much bandwidth on this troll.

DF

IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Oh, I'm just picturing this discussion:

*** Set in the trophy room ***
Lawyer Steve: That your new bear mount over there?
Dentist Richard: Yup.
Lawyer Steve: Why's it facing the wall?
Dentist Richard: Because that's how it was shot!
Lawyer Steve: You shot it in the ass?
Dentist Richard: No, no, I didn't shoot it in the ass personally. I hired a professional. Phil Shoemaker. The guy really has experience shooting bears in the ass. Not just theory. He KNOWS that shot.
Lawyer Steve: Hmmm....
Dentist Richard: Can you believe it went 26 3/4"
Lawyer Steve: Hard to tell from this angle.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Incidentally, "experience" has NOTHING to do with physics. The bullets do what they do whether you've shot no bears, or thousands. It doesn't matter. It's physics.

Each one is an example of one. Variables are the uncontrollable factor.
Experience and experimentation matters greatly. Figures on paper are no promise of expected result.
Calculated sectional density figures are not the only factor to be concerned with. Only a starting point.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Jerry Jacques is a very good friend of mine, He has guided for a long time on the Alaska Peninnsula and uses a Remington model 700 in 416 Remington that is heavily modified for field use. He was telling me of an "expert" who he took hunting for brown bears.The hunter has hunted the world and had experience in Africa. The fellow explained to Jerry that he wanted a 10ft bear for his office and wouldn't settle for anything less. Jerry personally guided the hunter because he was a prima donna who woke up late, ate lots of food that he often complained about and took very many breaks. This bwana would regal everybody in camp about how experienced and good he was. Eventually everybody else in camp tagged out with nice bears and the pressure was on. The weather was as bad as only it can get near Cold Bay but there was one nice morning that Jerry some how got this hunter up and out in the field. They spotted a bear that appeared to be resting in a tussock depression about 350 yards from a salmon stream. Jerry worked the hunter within about 75 yards of this mature boar that he felt would be about a 9foot bear. He asked the hunter if the bear was good enough or if the hunter wanted to come back the next year for a bigger bear. The hunter said that no the bear was fine. The expert had a very high dollar custom mauser in 375 with a compact german variable. Jerry got the hunter in the right position for the shot. The bear woke up and got on his fours headed back to the salmon stream. Jerry had the hunter set up shooting sticks and get set. The bear turned in perfect position and gave the hunter a great shot. Jerry told the hunter to wait a second until he could also get on the bear with his rifle. When Jerry said "go ahead, take him" nothing happened. Jerry repeated, " go ahead, take the shot." Nothing happened again. The bear suddenly looked right in their direction, tensed up and then ran like hell. Jerry looked over at his client and the guy had his rifle down and his fly open pissing downwind towards the bear. The bear smelled the piss and took off. The hunter didn't say a thing to Jerry afterwards and tipped him well for the hunt. You don't know how well you are going to do unless you are right there. The truth is Brown Bear guides aren't going to toot their horns or blow super hard but are going to use the best possible tool for the situation and unless you have been there its a good idea to listen and defer to them.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
So OP has a choice of listening to advice from a man that lives with the big coastal brown bears, hunts big bears for decades, guides clients on big bears for decades, uses a .458 as a daily tool of his trade, and sees more big bears shot in a year than probably the rest of the posters on this thread added together, and he recommends Barnes which is consistent with others’ field experience, or Rost can listen to the dandy Llama shooter quoting what he read in the 1954 edition of Field & Stream and rely on his extensive field experience gut shooting elk and pronghorn with his musket.... gee Rost, close call?
hmmmm......,

Hopefully Llama really is Root, would be shocking to know there are two like him if it is not although his posts are entertaining in a bizarre way. Now he is trying to school Phil on bear hunting, what’s next, educate David Tubb on Highpower shooting, Clint Smith on defensive pistol?

Phil,

please keep sharing your knowledge. Everyone except Dork is paying attention and appreciates you taking time to share.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Yep.

Cheap entertainment, Fire style.

DF

R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by jeffbird
So OP has a choice of listening to advice from a man that lives with the big coastal brown bears, hunts big bears for decades, guides clients on big bears for decades, uses a .458 as a daily tool of his trade, and sees more big bears shot in a year than probably the rest of the posters on this thread added together, and he recommends Barnes which is consistent with others’ field experience, or Rost can listen to the dandy Llama shooter quoting what he read in the 1954 edition of Field & Stream and rely on his extensive field experience gut shooting elk and pronghorn with his musket.... gee Rost, close call?
hmmmm......,

Hopefully Llama really is Root, would be shocking to know there are two like him if it is not although his posts are entertaining in a bizarre way. Now he is trying to school Phil on bear hunting, what’s next, educate David Tubb on Highpower shooting, Clint Smith on defensive pistol?

Phil,

please keep sharing your knowledge. Everyone except Dork is paying attention and appreciates you taking time to share.

Oh I've educated Tubb once... LMAO. Got lucky is what it was really.

No close calls for me. had Barnes coming before dumb azz ever showed up on this thread.

Folks like that just do it to aggravate. I know their kind. Total Azz. I worked for one for a long time.

They have to report in at some point. They will receive what they deserve at that point.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Arguing big bears with Phil is not too unlike arguing Catholicism with the Pope.

And thinking one is qualified to do either is the comic relief sometimes encountered here on the Fire.

Where else could we enjoy more for less.

DF

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Comical to a degree, but the fire is a dumber place from the manure Obama llama has deposited.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Some Bears are just tough SOB just like some people refuse to give up. Several killing shots with a premium bullet and he’s not down yet. Afterwards, you scratch your head, clean out you pants, and are thankful for an experienced guide. Just keep shooting. Most haven’t been there. F*ck experts and physics. I’ll take experience. Happy Hunting.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
LB is not root, i can tell.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
787 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 78 invisible), 3,173 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,708
Posts18,400,128
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.