Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Redhill Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

I'm currently using a suppressed CZ 99 with CCI standard velocity for shooting tree rats at our place. The rifle is working fine but the neighborhood is close enough with .4 acre lots that noise is a consideration. Also the squirrels need to be on the ground or on the tree with the tree is a backstop for safety reasons.

The standard velocity ammo rips right through them as distances are usually under 30 yards and the amount of penetration is a concern.

I'm looking at the Quiet Ammo as a possible solution to concerns about penetration as the Quiet stuff is advertised at 710 fps and a marketing claim of "75% reduction in perceived noise of standard velocity .22 LR". The standard velocity ammo is listed at 1070 fps and penetrations like crazy at 30 yards.

My questions are concerning penetration of the Quiet and at 30 yards the trajectory would not be a hurdle in harvesting the quarry. Also an input on the accuracy of this Quiet ammo?

Your thoughts ????

GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
The CCI Segmemted frangiable "Quiet" load would be your ticket privided it shoots well enough in your rifle. It only costs 4-5 bucks to try a some in your gun and find out.Every gun is different- some hate the "Quiet" loads and some guns shoot them very well.

A gel test showing penetration-

Buds has a good price on them-

https://www.budsgunshop.com/mobile/product/85713/redirect

Last edited by jk16; 10/19/19.
Redhill Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Good video and great information.....Thanks.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
CCI Quiet at 20 yards, suppressed. They are quiet, but....

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Same gun, same distance, 10 shots CCI SV

I have other ammo that does better but it's not relevant to your question. The Quiet ammo is more than adequate for squirrel. I use CCI CB shorts for hogs....about the same velocity and a bit less lead. Only problem you have to sort out is whether or not you can hit what you're aiming at.......

Last edited by DigitalDan; 10/20/19.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jk16
The CCI Segmemted frangiable "Quiet" load would be your ticket provided it shoots well enough in your rifle. It only costs 4-5 bucks to try a some in your gun and find out.Every gun is different- some hate the "Quiet" loads and some guns shoot them very well.

Unlike Dan I have had very good luck with CCI Quiets in a Rem. 580 that I used to keep sighted in just for the Quiets. That said they, are not as accurate as CCI SV, especially at 50 yards.

As jk16 noted the CCI Quiet Segmented sounds like the best round for you... if it will shoot in your rifle. It is the only low velocity round that is designed to expand (that I know of). I have tried them, they did not shoot to the same POI as the CCI Quiets, which having almost a case of CCI Quiets left was an issue for me.

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
If you're hoping the quiets won't go through squirrels you're out of luck. I've shot a bunch of squirrels with the CCI CB longs and the little 29 gr. bullets at 710 fps. go right through.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
The CCI Quiet lead round nose will definitely pass thru a squirrel, you'll still need to be concerned about a backstop. I've used them on pigeons, squirrels, and one woodchuck (30yd headshot). My 77/22 is accurate enough for squirrels out to 50 yds with them, but I have it zeroed at 30 yds right now for backyard pests.

Haven't tried the segmented version, but misses happen, and I still wouldn't use them in residential area without knowing my backstop.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
What you need is a mid power air rifle. I have several that shoot .177 cal. lead pellets in the 600-700 fps range that I've killed squirrels with. The little 8 gr. pellets don't exit at those velocities. They are also much less of a ricochet risk.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

I have other ammo that does better but it's not relevant to your question. The Quiet ammo is more than adequate for squirrel. I use CCI CB shorts for hogs....about the same velocity and a bit less lead. Only problem you have to sort out is whether or not you can hit what you're aiming at.......

Did you knock that piglet off of Mom's teat?

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I was in the same situation for years, 1/2 acre lot, houses close by. Killed a ton with the cci quiet. At 30 yards, I was about 50/50 with irons with it, with a scoped rifle, odds should inprove. Heck, I killed a possum at 30 yards with super colibris once.

I just bought a couple boxes of the new semi auto quiets, haven't tried them out yet.

Last edited by killerv; 10/21/19.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

Did you knock that piglet off of Mom's teat?

Yeah, the hydrostatic shock was awesome! He whistled Dixie out his butt for almost 15 seconds.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Never tried the new quiet ammunition, but the CB caps are quieter than my .20 caliber Sheridan pump up pellet rifle and more effective too.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
No experience with Quiet CCI, but have used Rem Subsonic in my suppressed Rugers. This target is 50' indoor range with the 10-22. Adjustable objective real handy in that setting. The pistol goes in my deer hunting pack. I break it out when I see a squirrel or coon. The Subsonic kills, just not as fast as a High Speed round. I shot a coon with the pistol at 35 yds. Hit him; he bowed up and growled. He turned sides wise, I hit him again; he bellowed and ambled into the woods. One less coon to steal deer corn. Not DRT, but for sure deceased.

The biggest noise with the rifle is the bolt slamming shut. The pistol makes a bit more noise, but still pretty quiet. I did trigger jobs on them both using Clark and Volquartsen parts. Pretty good if I say so myself... cool

Same suppressor fits both guns.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
This rather weird looking CZ 2500 with 29" barrel is pretty quiet without suppressor. It also has the EFR Leupold 3-9x33 and Timney trigger,

DF

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have had the Quiet loads skip off a coon's noggin at contact distance. I shot a coon in my trap and it hit him right between the eyes, and he bled copiously from that hole, but didn't die. I shot him again, and he was still hanging on. I went back to the house and got a Short HP and finished him off. Tough damned coon, but I've sworn off the Quiets ever since.

Now I use CCI Subsonics or those Short HPs if I catch a coon in the trap. It's more humane. The Subsonic Segmented bullets work best of all, but are hard to find locally.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Blackheart
What you need is a mid power air rifle. I have several that shoot .177 cal. lead pellets in the 600-700 fps range that I've killed squirrels with. The little 8 gr. pellets don't exit at those velocities. They are also much less of a ricochet risk.

I agree with you in the pellet rifle. But not about the lack of pentration. The Crosman 7.9g HP slugs I have run in my Beeman R-7 will zip right through the ribcage of a Fox Squirrel at 25 yards.

The Crosmans are not pure lead , they have antimony in them, so are a bit harder and really don't expand at 600 FPS.

The good news is that once an 8g .177 airgun pellet hits anything , it does not have much left to do any further damage.

Last edited by jk16; 10/22/19.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
If short HP will work in your gun, I would give them a try. Sometimes they are hard to find, but worth the effort.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by jk16
Originally Posted by Blackheart

I agree with you in the pellet rifle. But not about the lack of pentration. The Crosman 7.9g HP slugs I have run in my Beeman R-7 will zip right through the ribcage of a Fox Squirrel at 25 yards.

The Crosmans are not pure lead , they have antimony in them, so are a bit harder and really don't expand at 600 FPS.

The good news is that once an 8g .177 airgun pellet hits anything , it does not have much left to do any further damage.
I use flat head match pellets in mine and they don't exit squirrels with body hits. Like you said, even if they did they wouldn't have enough juice left to do much damage on the other side.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
An airgun is the obvious solution, but one accurate enough, powerful enough, and quiet is gonna cost a bit; a hard sell to someone who's already ponied up for a can.

What fresh Hell is this?
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have a CZ ultra lux 28" bbl that is amazingly quiet. Teamed up with the segmented quiet from CCI, a 16 power weaver with adj obj, and sitting on go. Seems the squirrels have heard about the new ammo.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

116 members (6mmCreedmoor, 1_deuce, 257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 16 invisible), 1,608 guests, and 948 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,511
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.