Print Thread
Hop To
C
chamois Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Is there some patterning in the way a badly fouled barrel shoots?

I mean, in which way would you expect its groups to be affected, just by a random separation of the impacts producing now a larger "normal" group, or would you expect some shots clustering in one nice group but throwing uncalled flyers around?

Trank you.

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
My experience is basically more widely-scattered shots--but in general don't run into many barrels that copper-foul much anymore, even in factory rifles.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
My limited knowledge indicates merely larger groups. The faster and to what degree this happens, seems to be determined by the bore condition.

Until a few weeks ago, I hadn’t cleaned my rifle in 2 or 3 years ( yes, I’m lazy), though it doesn’t get shot a great deal. It was still shooting sub 2”, 3 shot groups @300 yards. I haven’t actually done a round count to determine at what point accuracy deteriorates! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 10/21/19.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
C
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C

I got that kind of lousy grouping with 123gr AMaxes and Swiss Re70 powder in my normally very accurate 6,5x57R Blaser.

I had not cleaned the gun in a looong time and the Hawkeye borescope revealed it was badly fueled with copper and filthy with powder residue too.

I have cleaned it to bare steel and, after you confirmed my thoughts, I will try something different: it will be 135gr ATips with MRP, a powder which gives very good accuracy with Berger 135gr and 140gr and 140gr AMaxes.

Thank you!

Alvaro

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a 25-06 that has more than 3000 rounds through it. I hadn't cleaned in in the last 3-400 shots and it was showing it - 1.5-2.5" groups. I went down to the metal (verified by borescope) and it took 28 rounds of a known accurate load to get it back to shooting the .75" groups I was used to.

Support your local Friends of NRA - supporting Youth Shooting Sports for more than 20 years.

Neither guns nor Liberals have a brain.

Whatever you do, Pay it Forward. - Kids are the future of the hunting and shooting world.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
IShammy, if you try something different, you will lose your baseline question regarding the bullets and powder you have used to get lousy groups. I'd clean, and then shoot the 123s and RL load for reference, THEN go try the other things. In fact, I'd do it twice to confirm. It may well be that rifle wants to love what you're shooting now.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
My experience is basically more widely-scattered shots--but in general don't run into many barrels that copper-foul much anymore, even in factory rifles.

It seems my magnums ALL copper foul! I need some of that Montana dust, I think.

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then think that half of the people are stupider than that" - George Carlin
C
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
John,
I guess your barrell not fouling anymore has to do with the use of DBC... wink This is the barrel I shoot the least and DBC being impossible to find overseas the little I have I save it as much as possible, which is probably pointless as ti stands better in any barrel than in the shelve. So, I will apply it to this barrel as well and not look back.

Dave,
You are absolutely right. I will shoot the same AMaxes over a clean barrel and see the results and find out whether the bad groups are attributable to a dirty barrel or to load dislike by the gun. Well seen!

Thank You,

Last edited by chamois; 10/21/19. Reason: spelling

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

123 members (406_SBC, 444Matt, 450yukon, 257_X_50, 19rabbit52, 270winchester, 18 invisible), 1,923 guests, and 800 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,173
Posts18,465,377
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.