Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by stxhunter
LB is not root, i can tell.

I think you’re right. Feels different. Not the same style.

DF

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Root would have been posting photos of recovered TSX's, along with fancy rifles he supposedly owned lifted from various websites.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
[Linked Image]

Look, more experience! Here's three 300gr Partitions out of four I put into another brown bear as it faced me about 30 yards away. The retained weights are 70, 70, and 69 percent. Velocity was 2550. The bear was downhill from me on the edge of some pretty nasty cover. All shots entered the from above where the neck joins the body and raked the chest and abdomen, exiting or coming to rest under the hide by the tail. Total penetration was about five feet.

Still waiting to your experience with brown bears bob. [Linked Image]

R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Root would have been posting photos of recovered TSX's, along with fancy rifles he supposedly owned lifted from various websites.

Yep, I had forgotten that part.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
And yet the facts keep being on my side, and the clowns keep failing to present any. Funny, that laugh

Fact is anyone that actually does the [bleep] you read about, but have no experience doing spots you as the poser you are from a mile away

Reoccurring theme in your life isn’t it.

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by pabucktail
[Linked Image]

Look, more experience! Here's three 300gr Partitions out of four I put into another brown bear as it faced me about 30 yards away. The retained weights are 70, 70, and 69 percent. Velocity was 2550. The bear was downhill from me on the edge of some pretty nasty cover. All shots entered the from above where the neck joins the body and raked the chest and abdomen, exiting or coming to rest under the hide by the tail. Total penetration was about five feet.

I've got quite a stash of 300 gr Partitions and they shoot well from my rifle. I take it you're happy with them on big game? Seemed like good performance from what you wrote!

Have taken some black bear with my 375, but used the 260 gr Accubond, with good results. Hadn't tried the 300 grain Partition on game yet.

Thanks, Guy

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

A self declared Mensa, nonetheless... smile

He's the smartest guy he knows...

DF

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Cascade
Originally Posted by pabucktail
[Linked Image]

I've got quite a stash of 300 gr Partitions and they shoot well from my rifle. I take it you're happy with them on big game? Seemed like good performance from what you wrote!

Have taken some black bear with my 375, but used the 260 gr Accubond, with good results. Hadn't tried the 300 grain Partition on game yet.

Thanks, Guy

Yeah, I like them just fine. Having used them on everything from a brown bear at 2 yards to deer and mountain goats at nearly 400 yards I find them versatile and effective. That being said, I’d likely be just as happy with an A Frame or TSX but Noslers are the premium I started with in the .375 and I see no reason to change. I’ve got about 200 left and truth be told those will last a long, long time given how much more I use the 9.3x62 these days.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bugged Nosler for years about building Partitions for the 458 and when they finally did I had been writing for Wolfe Publishing for long enough that I had accumulated a fair stash of other premium bullets and learned how well they worked that I had not tried them. I even had a box and considered using them this year but in a nostalgic moment
( as this was my 40th year of guiding) decided to go with the Woodleighs I had previously loaded up.
And I take full responsibility for the choice as I knew full well how soft Woodleighs are and that I might have to stop a wounded bear from escaping, rather than just facing a charging one. And as I have pointed out numerous time on these forums, nostalgia ain't worth crap when things go south !
Guess I will give the Partitions a try next spring

And for those of you who are fans of Woodleighs, go ahead and use them as they work pretty good most of the time, and their solids are excellent.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
458 good for you getting Nosler to make the 458s. Their original equipment couldn't handle larger diameter bullets so you got them to re-tool too. From other calibers the Partition usually penetrates more than the Woodleigh as they don't open up as wide. So for odd angles they might be better.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Phil,

The only 500-grain .458 Partition I've seen used in the field was started from a hunting partner's .458 Lott. It hit a Cape buffalo just under the chin at around 40 yards, as the bull raised its head to look in the direction of the slight noise it heard. The bull collapsed at the shot, nose down, because the bullet had broken the spine, then (as far as we could tell during the field butchering) ended up somewhere in the back half of the bull. It wasn't found , so have no retained-weight stories to tell.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
... It wasn't found , so have no retained-weight stories to tell.

From this neophyte's point of view, I'd say there was a 100% weight retention. All of it was retained inside said buffalo... grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Good to see you post Ed. Hope all is going well. Have been on the skidoo now for almost a week or more in Delta.. Last year at this time no snow at all

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

313 members (300_savage, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 17CalFan, 32 invisible), 2,396 guests, and 1,174 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,463
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.