-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sadly for you, every bit of this is a matter of record. You have been tossing insults forever and somehow, way late in the game you want to claim I started the incivility. That would be bluffing on your part.

If there were so many guides out there it should have been easy.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 19352012
Jorge y Sitka 😍

Honest question from a guy that will not be traveling to brown bear country anytime soon, I read stories where the human say they did not have time to use their firearm and I completely believe them. If a bear came at me I would be thinking about where my toilet paper was. Here is my question: if you don't have time for a gun, how would you have time for a can of bear spray?

The key to staying out of danger in bear country is being aware of what is around you. Standing in the middle of an alder patch butchering requires far more caution than standing out on a wide-open river bar doing the same. Stay aware of where a bear might be and use your head.

Bear spray takes a bit of time to deploy and IME is only useful on nosey bears, not aggressive bears. I do not bother to carry it anymore.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hmmmm.... crickets...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
No crickets, A S S hole, it's called having another life... You're record of dishonesty bears you out. YOUR first post to me:
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

I thought you had learned how it is done here and got off your hot chamber high horse...

So then you expect me to say nothing?

So you challenge me for "just one name" and I give you one based on what a very good friend of mine (know to others here) explicitly told me about his hunt, but I hold off on the name but provide a few examples of GUIDES who allow this given the circumstances. Then you call me a liar so I put Mr. Feje's name out there, then you had issues with that, even to the point of throwing your "fellow guides" under the bus by accusing them of "saying anything just to get the business" but publicly sating otherwise (That's called having no principles Art, but coming from someone with your record of honesty, no surprise there) So I cited examples, gave a name (you just wanted one so that's what you got), even though I predicted you'd probably require a notarized affidavit and it turns out I was right again, now it's all hearsay therefore invalid and the rest of your convoluted excuses. I should have known better than to deal with a known and dishonest welcher, all to avoid paying off on a bet ( I would't take free air from you ace) . I've scraped stuff off my shoes with more integrity. If my friend Ben said he hunted hot the whole time he was in the field, well guess what I believe him and there is nothing you or anyone else can say to change that fact. When I'm wrong I say so and have many times, but that takes character, something entirely alien to you.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bacvk to "Does Bear Spray Work". New use:

U.S.
Guy In MAGA Hat Allegedly Unloads Bear Spray Into Crowd Of Anti-Trump Protesters

HuffPost Ed Mazza,HuffPost 3 hours ago

A man wearing a “Make American Great Again” cap was arrested on Saturday after allegedly spraying bear repellant into a crowd of people protesting against President Donald Trump at the Santa Monica Pier in California.

NBC Los Angeles said five people were treated on-site, but no one was seriously injured at the pier, which is a popular tourist attraction featuring shops, restaurants and an amusement park. Bear repellents commonly include hot-pepper aerosol.

A police officer identified only as Sgt. D. Hicks told the Los Angeles Times the protesters were on the beach at first, but when they walked up onto the pier and encountered a group of Trump supporters, “everything went to crap.”

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have said this before. I spent 3 years in Kodiak. I never heard of carrying cold chamber the entire time I was there. I can understand why a guide might want their clients cold. I doubt I'll ever get to hunt in big bear country again, but if I do it won't be with a cold chamber and I won't have bear spray with me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The last time I was around an aggressive grizzly my chamber was hot...... with full consent of the outfitter, I wasn't in Alaska though..... wink

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by pheasant665
I work in an outdoors store where we sell bear spray and yes, it does work on black bears. It is concentrated pepper spray that will work on anything that breathes air basically. In fact, because black bears are generally smaller than grizzlies it works better on them.
As far as brand, I'm not really sure. The stuff we sell is 1% capsaicin so look for that. As for using a dog, the stats I've seen at work suggest that a dog is just as likely to see a bear, make it mad, then run back to you for protection with bear in tow.
One other thing to note is that the mace that would be used on humans is NOT the same thing as bear spray. Mace is (I think) .25% capsaicin and the cans hold much much less than bear spray. Bear spray is under so much pressure that the recoil when fired is similar to a handgun. It's enough to drop a charging grizzly to it's knees so it can't get back up. Bear spray is strong enough that it can actually be lethal to anyone with a respiratory issue like asthma.
Generally there are two sizes you can get. I really recommend the bigger size. We don't even sell the smaller size because if you don't get a good clean shot we don't feel the small can will be effective.
Don't use bear bells. Again, the stats are iffy but there's no real evidence that they deter bears but there is some speculation that they attract cougars. The bells are also too quiet to be heard. I've walked up to people before and didn't even realize they had a bear bell until I had already seen them anyway. It's much safer to yell out "hey bear bear" regularly. Human voices are the only distinctly human sound we make and it's the only real way to let a bear know who you are.

You don't seem to have much bear experience or bear spray experience. You seem know what you've read. Yes pepper spray Which is typicall 2% Capsaicin, rather than 1% that is actually made for bears. Will it work on black bears, yes it will but it's that effective. May cause black bears to rub their face in the grass, or take off but be assured if they showed an interest in someone it's because they are predatory and will be back. If you know that, you are wise to leave the area, Typically the spray you are using isn't very effective on dogs. Not sure where you got the deal about the recoil of the spray is under so much pressure it's recoil is similar to firing a handgun. You might consider trying it yourself, as that's not the case.
Be careful about talking to hear yourself because there are people on here who know what they are talking about. Yes bears hearing human voices can let bears know there are people in the area, but it can also help them get a focus on where you are if they decide to come for you. I've seen it happen both ways. Bears that don't know you are there, are less likely to get focused on you.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

87 members (44automag, 35sambar, 10gaugemag, 6mmCreedmoor, 7mm_Loco, 6MMWASP, 13 invisible), 1,668 guests, and 853 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,660
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.