Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Anyone have one of these? How do you like it? It looks like a nice gun that can be had for a good price. I wouldn't mind picking one up for a truck gun or a spare to have around.

Camp is where you make it.
GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
It's nice but I hate the plastic mag and plastic trigger

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Pretty tough to get away from plastic mags now days. I'll have to look closer at the trigger. I didn't notice that before. Thanks.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
My cousin has one. I shot it some last year after he got it. It is the cheesiest feeling rifle I’ve held in a long time. Like others stated; the plastic trigger is a huge no-go for me. I can tolerate a plastic mag but the trigger looks and feels like it should be on a nerf blaster.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

They have a good barrel and that's where it ends IME! My brother picked one up and it didn't feed for [bleep], needed bedded/most Brownings come bedded not the AB3. Also worked on the trigger. I didn't bed the tang because the trigger mechanics are all in that area and there just isn't room IMO.

In the end after bedding the recoil lug area, working on the trigger, and grinding and polishing the feed ramp we got the rifle from 1 1/2" groups at 100 yds to 3" 3 shot groups at 500 yds. Like I said great barrel and the rest needs work! I personally wouldn't want one but probably because I'm used to Tikka's where it all works very well right out of the box

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
IC B2

O
OLO Offline
O
It’s nice but I also hate the plastic mags !
Sucks

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don’t own one but have been around three. They are bedded at the recoil lug for accuracy and the rest is free-floated. If someone decided to bed that design, they’re an idiot. They just screwed up everything the rifle was designed to do.

Plastic mags are where it’s at and has been where it’s at for at least two decades. We have no qualms sending our Navy Seals under water (saltwater!) for a swim and then into intense close-quarter battle with plastic magazines. But some still want “bottom metal” that wouldn’t last 10 minutes where the polymers survive.

All three AB3 rifles I’ve been around are sub-MOA shooters with more than one kind of factory ammo, and they’ve been 100% reliable and trouble free.

They aren’t made to be tinkered with. They’re made to shoot and be accurate and reliable right out of the box. If you buy one, leave it alone and let it do its job. If you want to screw with it, buy by something else and spend a ton more money.

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I’m not planning on going on a saltwater Safari anytime soon so your assessment is kinda invalid....at least for my tastes. I like my rifles to have metal, not plastic. YMMV

I’ve owned rifles with plastic mags like the tikka t3. While I didn’t hate it, I would have preferred a metal one.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Trystan

They have a good barrel and that's where it ends IME! My brother picked one up and it didn't feed for [bleep], needed bedded/most Brownings come bedded not the AB3. Also worked on the trigger. I didn't bed the tang because the trigger mechanics are all in that area and there just isn't room IMO.

In the end after bedding the recoil lug area, working on the trigger, and grinding and polishing the feed ramp we got the rifle from 1 1/2" groups at 100 yds to 3" 3 shot groups at 500 yds. Like I said great barrel and the rest needs work! I personally wouldn't want one but probably because I'm used to Tikka's where it all works very well right out of the box

Trystan

You and I have different experiences with the Tikka. You don't like plastic mags but you like the tikka? Or you just don't like the browning plastic mag? All the one's I've seen were display models so the mag was not in the gun.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by seattlesetters

They aren’t made to be tinkered with. They’re made to shoot and be accurate and reliable right out of the box. If you buy one, leave it alone and let it do its job. If you want to screw with it, buy by something else and spend a ton more money.

Pretty much what it would be used for. Mount a scope, sight it in, practice a bit with it...leave it.

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Someone provide evidence of a plastic mag failing

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Witness the Thompson Center Venture. Its plastic mags not only fell out of the rifle, but also fell to pieces.

"Keep your mouth shut, work hard. Life is tough. Work through it.” -- Stetson Bennett, Quarterback, Georgia Bulldogs
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by mrchongo
Witness the Thompson Center Venture. Its plastic mags not only fell out of the rifle, but also fell to pieces.

Pics?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mrchongo

And what would it have to do with the Browning AB3, even if it were true?

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Does it come with a free Buckmark sticker for the Dodge?

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Don't know. I can't recall ever putting a sticker on a vehicle. It won't go on the Dodge since I don't have one. lol

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I have an AB3 in 308win that seems to work well for me now. I get accuracy of about 3/4 MOA with inexpensive Leupold VX3i 2.5-8x36. I have about 800 rounds thru it at this time.

It has an odd trigger setup with 4 pound pull and safety works reliably as expected. The bolt was a little bit rough at first as expected with budget weapon but it smoothed out nicely after a couple hundred rounds. The barrel has excellent free floating clearance and fiberglass stock seems to be very rigid. I never had any problem with feed or with the 5-shot magazine that some mentioned previously but note that I have a short action 308win which I believe to be easier to feed than some other calibers.

I have four main complaints with it.
1. The rear tang action screw area had very little bearing surface although the front action had a tight fit in the stock. This weapon had no bedding at all. I blamed some of my flyers on lack of bedding when I first got the weapon so I bedded it with gray Marine Tex at rear and front actions. The weapon works very well for me now.
2. There are no parts lists or schematic diagrams from Browning. Browning website has excellent parts list and diagrams for their other products but not for AB3. I called Browning for parts list diagram and asked for specific size and thread for action bolts - their “customer service” gave me wrong bolt size (it turned out to be a metric bolt) and they told me that diagrams were proprietary even though I was only asking for what they already publish for all their other weapon models. Bottom line is I will never buy another Browning because of this poor customer service.
3. After researching about parts I found an interesting point that Browning barrels are attached to action with fine thread and red loctite and barrels cannot be removed from action. This is currently not a problem for my long lived 308win barrel but you probably need to plan on tossing the entire weapon when the barrel goes bad.
4. I cannot find any after-market stocks to fit my weapon.

Last edited by Frankk; 10/24/19.
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Originally Posted by Trystan
I didn't bed the tang because the trigger mechanics are all in that area and there just isn't room IMO.

I did bed my tang because lack of bearing surface there was my biggest complaint. It is indeed where the trigger mechanism is located, clearances are tight and the mechanism is not easily removable from the action. So I had to protect that mechanism with masking tape and plumber’s putty to fill all the voids. It worked out for me but I wouldn’t want to do it again.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Trystan,
What did you do to your trigger?
Did you get one of those spring kits for a lighter pull? I got one of those myself and I’m still trying to decide if it helped.
Frank

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Boyd's probably has a stock or will make you a stock if interested in laminate.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

94 members (10Glocks, 808outdoors, Akhutr, 21, Algotguns, 1973cb450, 9 invisible), 1,490 guests, and 706 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,678
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.