Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[quote=joshf303
Decide on a bullet yet...again...grin...[/quote]

Ha ha Joshf303, amen brother, that is me all over because of this dang forum.

Step 1: Develop load, find coal, run the bullet you have convinced yourself is THE one at a perfect speed for your needs. Shoot it sub moa and drop a dozen animals in their tracks.

Step 2: Read stuff here and talk yourself into a need for something "perfecter."

Step 3: Get your new powder \ bullet ...create step loads, head to the range and the inevitable muzzle brake guy next to you ....and begin to wonder about yourself

Step 3: Find yourself wishing you could recreate what you had in step 1.

Speaking just for me here folks -and I still love the forum btw.

I know JG will have it sorted out fine.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
kenjs1,

The Confessions of a Loony, sounds like the title for an upcoming book... wink

I think you nailed it. BTDT all too many times, still doing it.

The Fire has saved me money regarding loads, etc. It's also cost some major bucks "having" to build or buy guns that I otherwise would have never have even considered. Probably wouldn't have known they existed...

Oh well... grin

Only a fellow Loony would understand; my wife's trying to catch up.. smile

DF

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by kenjs1
[quote=joshf303
Decide on a bullet yet...again...grin...

Ha ha Joshf303, amen brother, that is me all over because of this dang forum.

Step 1: Develop load, find coal, run the bullet you have convinced yourself is THE one at a perfect speed for your needs. Shoot it sub moa and drop a dozen animals in their tracks.

Step 2: Read stuff here and talk yourself into a need for something "perfecter."

Step 3: Get your new powder \ bullet ...create step loads, head to the range and the inevitable muzzle brake guy next to you ....and begin to wonder about yourself

Step 3: Find yourself wishing you could recreate what you had in step 1.

Speaking just for me here folks -and I still love the forum btw.

I know JG will have it sorted out fine. [/quote]

Lol... I hear ya...
I used to be quilty of the same thing 8-9 years ago. Now ALL that’s on my bench are Lapua Scenars, Hornady ELDMs and some old school AMaxes. Probably LOTS of good reasons (dead critters) for that. I tend not to skull [bleep] things to death anymore as I know what works for me.

JG is no stranger to my bullet preferences.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

The Fire has saved me money regarding loads, etc. It's also cost some major bucks "having" to build or buy guns that I otherwise would have never have even considered. Probably wouldn't have known they existed...

Oh well... grin

Only a fellow Loony would understand; my wife's trying to catch up.. smile

DF

NEVER having a 6.5 anything before... the fire helped me decide on a bullet for my 6.5X55
AND Mr Denton helped me find and settle on a reasonable powder charge for same.

120 NBT and Either 4350 powders @ +/- 3000 FPS and good accuracy.

THANK y’all.
Now.......la la la la la la I ain’t listening. whistle
laugh laugh

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Out of only 2 animals, I still felt the Hornady 129sp was a slow killer...from a .260 Remington. The 6.5/284 was like Lightning with both the Nosler 120BT and 125 Partition. I tend to lean hard on the '06 sized cases. If I had a Creedmoor, I would start with those 2 and add the Barnes 120TTSX for real penetration. I know nothing of Scenars. So, of those 2 for the OP? Nosler. I "might" use the 140 PT in the Swede, but the Barnes 120TTSX most likely. Out to 300yds and a bit beyond, I just don't see a need for anything over 120-130 in any "standard" 6.5. In a 264WM. 140s make more sense, and tougher ones at that. I can't think of anything but Barnes for the 6.5/300Wby, ha

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 11/15/19.
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
Out of only 2 animals, I still felt the Hornady 129sp was a slow killer...from a .260 Remington. The 6.5/284 was like Lightning with both the Nosler 120BT and 125 Partition. I tend to lean hard on the '06 sized cases. If I had a Creedmoor, I would start with those 2 and add the Barnes 120TTSX for real penetration. I know nothing of Scenars. So, of those 2 for the OP? Nosler. I "might" use the 140 PT in the Swede, but the Barnes 120TTSX most likely. Out to 300yds and a bit beyond, I just don't see a need for anything over 120-130 in any "standard" 6.5. In a 264WM. 140s make more sense, and tougher ones at that. I can't think of anything but Barnes for the 6.5/300Wby, ha

Odd that you think that the 129 is a slow killer. I have pretty much lost track of how many deer that I have killed with that bullet in my.260s at 2950-to just over 3000 fps. I have never had any complaints with the end result. I have used them out as far as 430 yards. I have shot them on my 530-yard range and less than moa accuracy at that range. They are my go-to in my .260s and I use the heavier bullets in my Creeds.

Last edited by sbhooper; 11/16/19.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
It could have been just a "hard Lot#". I didn't clock it, but I should have been between 2800-2900...I don't think 3000fps. First was an Axis buck around 75yds, top of the shoulder, dropped him. then gave him another through the heart/lungs. took him awhile to die. His organs had pretty small permanent wound channels. Next was a Mouflon around 90yds. Tight behind shoulder, halfway up. he ran for quite a spell, not much blood. Same small organ wounds. So, that's just two examples, late 90s. By now, that bullet may have been softened up some, but who knows? "To me" I have always thought of Hornady;s as a "hard bullet", especially compared to Speer or Sierra. We used Hornadys to save meat for those East Texas critters. The Hornady 150sp was "the" bullet for 30 cals.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Yep. “The Poor Man’s Partition”

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Don't forget the 136L. It's pretty sleek, my current Creed bullet..

My Shilen barreled Creed shot this group with the 123 gr. Scenar. Posted this before. The 136L is almost as accurate and I chose it because it's slightly heavier.

Someone posted that Scenar makes load development sooooo easy. I agree.

They hold together, IME, better than VLD's. They have thin jackets like VLD's; I'm guessing the lead alloy may be harder as they don't seem to frag as bad. They kill quickly with lots of internal damage and I do see exits with chest shot WT's.

You do need to watch velocity. I chest shot a WT doe with a 90 gr. Scenar out of my .240 at mega speed. Chest soup, nasty clean up at the skinning shed. I shoot 100 gr. NPT's in that gun these days, tougher bullet and not quite as fast.

For very accurate loads and for chest shooting WT's, the Scenar is hard to beat. Scenarshooter uses them on lot bigger stuff than WT's and has an impressive portfolio of dead critters.

We like to chest shoot our deer to preserve meat. We're fortunate to have such a wide variety of fine bullets (and powders) to chose from, way better than we had back when I started reloading in the late '60's. A reloader should be able to craft the perfect load for what he's hunting, which gives the Loony something to think about, dream about...

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The 123 Lapuas and Varget are what works in mine. I shoot a grain more than you in Hornady brass and 39 grains in Lapua brass made from .22-250's, just under 2900fps

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jstevens

The 123 Lapuas and Varget are what works in mine. I shoot a grain more than you in Hornady brass and 39 grains in Lapua brass made from .22-250's, just under 2900fps

That's where I ran 123s in my 6.5x47 this year. Shot 3 whitetails, all 100 yards or less, and the bullet did great. Acted about like a Barnes.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ive only killed 4 deer and my wife 1 with a 6.5 CM but all 4 fell to a 120 grn Nosler Ballistic Tip

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I don’t think there are any bad bullets anymore. You hit em right, they die. A bad shot with any bullet is a wounded animal.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
It could have been just a "hard Lot#". I didn't clock it, but I should have been between 2800-2900...I don't think 3000fps. First was an Axis buck around 75yds, top of the shoulder, dropped him. then gave him another through the heart/lungs. took him awhile to die. His organs had pretty small permanent wound channels. Next was a Mouflon around 90yds. Tight behind shoulder, halfway up. he ran for quite a spell, not much blood. Same small organ wounds. So, that's just two examples, late 90s. By now, that bullet may have been softened up some, but who knows? "To me" I have always thought of Hornady;s as a "hard bullet", especially compared to Speer or Sierra. We used Hornadys to save meat for those East Texas critters. The Hornady 150sp was "the" bullet for 30 cals.

My .308 likes the 150s, at just over 2900 fps. However, deer don't!

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Have a fondness for the 130's in 6.5. Currently running the 130 AB in 6.5x284 and 130 Game Changer in short barreled (18") 6.5 CM

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I have taken my last 5 bucks with a 130 grain Accubond from my old 6.5x55 Swede, so I would go with the Accubond, I realize your choice is the new imporoved long range version, but I don't see how they could screw it up so as not to work for your stated situation. At 100 yards either of the bullets will do the same job as far as I am concerned if delivered to the same area of the deer.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

144 members (10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 260madman, 338reddog, 26 invisible), 1,183 guests, and 938 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,219
Posts18,447,468
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.