Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I just finished reading Battle Cry, the novel about the Marines in WW2 fighting on the Pacific against the "Japs".

Is it money, real-estate, minerals? Wars are old as time, and there are a few going on right now.

Call me Gus, and perhaps I ask stupid questions, just the feelings after reading the book.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
BP-B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Clausewitz said wars are just politics by other means. Probably pretty accurate.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Money. The industrial complex must be fed.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Always have been, always will be!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
[quote=papat]Money. The industrial complex must be fed. [/quote
What he said, the war machine = MONEY.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Put some red and black ants in a box .

We pray our sights be straight
and our aim be true
We pray for no pain
to the game we pursue
We thank you Lord
for this land
We thank you for the sights
from our stands
We pray for safety, one and all
We pray we may return next fall
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I just finished reading Battle Cry, the novel about the Marines in WW2 fighting on the Pacific against the "Japs".

Is it money, real-estate, minerals? Wars are old as time, and there are a few going on right now.

Call me Gus, and perhaps I ask stupid questions, just the feelings after reading the book.

i use to think i knew. or at least had pretty good ideas.

nowadays i'm not so sure at all. it's a mystery.

japan, russia, germany, time immemorial.

when the big green machine gets cranked and running it's awesome.

or maybe it's just shock and awe against a psuedo-enemy.

the big ant-hill rivals, who's got the mostest?

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Power, prestige, and revenge. Throw religion into the mix and you end up with the middle east.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Dess
Power, prestige, and revenge. Throw religion into the mix and you end up with the middle east.

and of course someone might come along and attempt to share with the rank & file how wars have helped advance the human race over the ages.

some would suggest it's been such a blessing, encouraging the development of new technology and organizational systems.

i'm pretty sure the High Priests at NASA understand how we humans have gotten to the point where we are.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A

In WWII, Japan kicked things off in the pacific over access to raw materials.

In Europe, German couldn't pay their debts from WWI, and still wanted the raw materials they were after in WWI.

Wars in the middle east have primary been about two things, access to trade routes, and, in modern days, Oil.

Look hard enough, and all wars have an economic root.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B3

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

In WWII, Japan kicked things off in the pacific over access to raw materials.

In Europe, German couldn't pay their debts from WWI, and still wanted the raw materials they were after in WWI.

Wars in the middle east have primary been about two things, access to trade routes, and, in modern days, Oil.

Look hard enough, and all wars have an economic root.

wars over natural resources is where it often begins. people need to have access to resources, ultimately to feed their own families.

sometimes there's a profit motive, and other times a pure power/dictatorial motive.

all i know is what i was told in the 1st cavalry division and it was more than half propaganda.

but people needs to have jobs. building tanks, guns, bullets, or whatever. a job is a job.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Rulers that think they are tough like to take stuff away from the weak. Eventually they run into some folks that actually are tough and get their azzes handed to them. Human nature ad nauseum.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by lvmiker
Rulers that think they are tough like to take stuff away from the weak. Eventually they run into some folks that actually are tough and get their azzes handed to them. Human nature ad nauseum.

mike r

we've come to this point in our selective evolution of humans on the urth.

some nearly 200 countries. we've pretty much fought our way to this point.

the fermentation and distillation of the human ideologies continue on forward.

the hammurabi code, the magna carta, the english kings, america becoming taxable.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Resources, land, power, money.....
One of em or a combo.
Since the dawn of time.

All man,s other achievements , pale in comparison to war.

Something like that someone said......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You know, off the top of my head, with the possible exception of WW1, I can't think of any war that wasn't started over money, land, or resources.
WW1 was really pretty senseless in the way it was allowed to begin. Europeon alliances just got outta hand, and one mistake lead into another.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by hanco
Always have been, always will be!

will be what?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
You know, off the top of my head, with the possible exception of WW1, I can't think of any war that wasn't started over money, land, or resources.
WW1 was really pretty senseless in the way it was allowed to begin. Europeon alliances just got outta hand, and one mistake lead into another.
7mm

World War One started over coal and Iron ore. The background politics was just the excuses for the real reasons.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
To be honest, I never read very far into it. Most of the little bit I did, points to the alliances and pledges of mutual defense, and how these started the vortex after Archduke Ferdinand was assassinated.
One thing that is certain in all cases is the fact that if your enemies perceive you to be weak, you can count on them trying to take advantage of it.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
7mm

I really believe that the U.S. getting involved in WW 1 brought the whole world to disaster. There was a 20 year truce and rearming and then hell on earth for Europe and Asia which ended up under murderous communist dictatorships. If we had never fought Spain and steered clear of the European war it probably would have ended in basically a stalemate around 1920. It's extremely hard to imagine it could have turned out worse.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
760 members (160user, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 87 invisible), 2,975 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,704
Posts18,400,075
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.