Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I don’t like the word poacher for his violation though. That’s a word that should be reserved for more serious violations. He screwed up, got caught, and paid the price. In his defense, it was a brand new law that most were not aware of.

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
It does aggravate me too, you get a speeding ticket and no one says much. And its a very minor infraction.

But you get any wildlife violation you are branded a poacher. A catch all word these days.

Do it mostly right or as right as you were aware of and still called a poacher... nope. I agree totally with you.

Lord knows if you could buy another tag Ted, had enough cash to go buy a second right away..

Then OTOH, how do you fill out a tag that you don't have a carcass for? Waste of game? I mean you punched your tag but you aren't bringing anything out with you. If you want to be technical.

Waiting for stuff to warm up, maybe I'll grab the book and read some.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Just remember it takes just one self righteous guy to make what was previously legal, illegal. I see proposals come up all the time of people trying to make legal practices illegal. We try to shoot them down in the local advisory committees, but some squeak by.

If anything, we need less laws.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Calvin
I don’t like the word poacher for his violation though. That’s a word that should be reserved for more serious violations. He screwed up, got caught, and paid the price. In his defense, it was a brand new law that most were not aware of.

My memory tells me it was not a new law in SE, but I could be wrong. I know when it came into Kodiak it had been the case in SE for some time...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by IMR4350
It's obviously political. Nothing would have come of it if those leftists would not have kicked up a storm.

Interesting how he has been the only one ever charged under this law.

I know a lot of people here don't like Ted Nugent but this was obviously an honest mistake and now he is not allowed to hunt in the U.S for two years. Are you kidding me?

BTW don't think this kind of thing can't happen to any one of us. We have all heard of gun owners getting in serious trouble over some little technicality. This should give us all an idea on how they are planning to use those red flag laws.

I doubt it was leftists... I suspect any Federal Agent seeing an obvious broadcast violation of Federal law would investigate (unless it was a Clinton, of course) and do what should be done.

His claim no one else has been charged is a lie and was when he claimed it. Furthermore, AK has no record of the offense which means he was charged for Federal violations only.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

My memory tells me it was not a new law in SE, but I could be wrong. I know when it came into Kodiak it had been the case in SE for some time...

I am remembering that it was the first year it was in effect. But maybe am not remembering correctly.

Sounds like minimum caliber restrictions coming this bog cycle.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by rost495
stupid law if thats the case. and a bunch liberals, that part I get. Damn shame its illegal to....

Very old news and yes he broke the law. In SE AK the law has long been "draw blood and you are done." It was expanded to Kodiak bears at least 15 years ago. .

Does SE AK have its own set of regulations? The reason I ask is I hunted around Nome in 2011. I read the regulations I got that year cover to cover. (Some really silly stuff in there.) I never saw a law in there that said if you draw blood your done. Maybe I missed it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
Originally Posted by rost495
stupid law if thats the case. and a bunch liberals, that part I get. Damn shame its illegal to....

Very old news and yes he broke the law. In SE AK the law has long been "draw blood and you are done." It was expanded to Kodiak bears at least 15 years ago. .

Does SE AK have its own set of regulations? The reason I ask is I hunted around Nome in 2011. I read the regulations I got that year cover to cover. (Some really silly stuff in there.) I never saw a law in there that said if you draw blood your done. Maybe I missed it.

Different laws across the state for many different things, especially methods and means of hunting and fishing.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
here is another stupid law in Alaska in this one area for moose hunting > if you harvest a legal bull moose you have 10 days in that area to get it registered in that division/area 10 days which includes Saturday and Sunday. well they went there on the tenth day which was a Sunday and they did not know Sunday`s that office was closed .their friend went back on Monday to register that legal bull moose and because they had to leave back to their home state that same Sunday . but the person who shot the legal bull moose had to do a court phone call with judge and received a small fined and some game law ticket. that is B.S. and no common sense that hunter should not have got a ticket or a fine period ! Nuge should not have got a ticket either ! > we should all be sticking up for the Nuge he does us all a favor by his willing to speak up for all hunters ! shame on anyone who does not support old NUGE !

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
If you think you are not a "poacher" by today's new interpretation (having never broken ANY nuance of ANY law by ANY warden no matter how over zealous) you either have not done much hunting or are incredibly ignorant, (quite possibly both) I wish they would hammer people who deserve it rather than play gotcha with [bleep] like the federal waterfowl baiting statute type of violator. Have you had your blaze orange checked lately for the legal "luminescence" compliance??? Did you ever take a #2 wearing bibs or waders?? How did you maintain "wearing" your orange during said dump????

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Nuge broke a game law and made money filming it !
Claiming he didn't know the law is no different than Hillary claiming she didn't know what she was doing was illegal.

Maybe, but they still broke the law and were planning on profiting from it.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If he wasn't doing this stuff for profit, I'd say give the guy a break. Nugent is a professional and plays the high profile TV super star game. The standard should be higher, the highest, really. It's not like Alaska passed the law the day before and he was already in the woods. It's not enough to claim it as an innocent mistake/oversight, not when you're representing an industry at that level. It shouldn't go without mention that Nugent's actions reflect on the rest of us hunters who are not an industry—on all of us who hunt for our own reasons.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
IDGAF

It was a law that would be somewhat unusual in many other
places. Did Ted know? I give him the benefit of doubt.
He broke a law that didn't harm another human, he paid for it.
Over.

If I found that he blatantly and repeatedly poached (killing too many,
Out of season...) that would be different.

Anyway, why does this even matter.
Old, old news.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by kingston
If he wasn't doing this stuff for profit, I'd say give the guy a break. Nugent is a professional and plays the high profile TV super star game. The standard should be higher, the highest, really. It's not like Alaska passed the law the day before and he was already in the woods. It's not enough to claim it as an innocent mistake/oversight, not when you're representing an industry at that level. It shouldn't go without mention that Nugent's actions reflect on the rest of us hunters who are not an industry—on all of us who hunt for our own reasons.

I’ll disagree, Brian.

The regs should apply equally (ir)regardless of who is affected. Nice should be no different than a resident.

The ironic part I posted above.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ironbender

You mean there are only two things you dislike about him?

His face?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Honestly, I know little about him. He’s hell on a guitar apparently, I like what I e seen of his 2A stance. Don’t have cable so I’m deprived (some say depraved) otherwise.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ironbender

I’ll disagree, Brian.

The regs should apply equally (ir)regardless of who is affected. Nice should be no different than a resident.

I'm not arguing the regulations shouldn't apply to everyone equally. I'm arguing as to whether Nugent should be shown leniency in punishment, as he seems to argue in the video. Nugent also seems to blame the regulations for his predicament. The stakes are higher for Nugent, because the stakes are higher for Nugent. He shouldn't get a pass because the stakes are higher.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Regarding whether Nugent is a poacher, I'm not prepare to answer. I will say that the act of poaching in and of itself requires intent.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Regarding whether Nugent is a poacher, I'm not prepare to answer. I will say that the act of poaching in and of itself requires intent.

I’ll agree with with that.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Still trying to wrap my head around an arrow hitting a rib and doing a 180

Like you have said before, so many other things can be involved. Same with this. Like I've said that arrow may never have even hit the bear. Hell if it didn't have blood on it why did they even look. An arrow cuts flesh IE if only the broadhead, its going to have blood, hair, fat etc... on it.

I'm not saying this to brag at all, but I quit counting deer/pigs taken with archery gear in the 90s. I was only born in the 60s. I was over 100 at that point. So I have put a few arrows through, past, over, under a few animals.

Animals CAN be quick enough to divert the direction of an arrow as it enters. I've seen plenty duck/whirl/move before an arrow gets there. I've seen arrows deflect off unseen and stupidly enough, seen things.

Like I said earlier I have not even looked for the purported video.

I have seen arrows shot from higher up, aimed down, IE out of tripods and the like, end up exiting HIGHER than the entry wound. I saw one once enter what should have been a perfect basically broadside lung shot get tweaked somehow and end up breaking the neck of the deer and exiting the TOP of the neck.

All that said the argument here is not if it was illegal. It was. Plain and simple. He was wrong, and he got caught. I dont' care for Ted much. One of our nephews loves him. I don't see the attraction. Loud mouthed and so.... I BUT he was wrong, and he was caught and paid the price.

What I would have done after the fact if I was offended, is to seek the intent of the law, heck I might have had an attorney seek it before the court date. WHY is the law in effect. What is the purpose, what is the goal of such law. And follow that up with was the intent of the results broken or not. IE what I'm assuming is to prevent a lost game animal rotting in the woods and not simply going out and continuing to shoot animals until you can find/recover one. I"d say the video should have...shown the animal was not worse for wear and that a fracas with another bear would have been likely much worse of a wound. End intent would be more to change/clarify/remove said law.

That being said wildlife laws are TOUGH. We have antler restrictions in TX. Goal is to allow bucks to mature more before being harvested so we would get more does bred. IT did that. Plus a LOT of other positives to the herd down there. That said it does not allow for the harvest of older bucks that don't meet the criteria of the restrictions. IE width. If you are trash antlers passing on your DNA and you never get to 13 inches inside spread, you cannot ever be harvested/removed from the DNA pool. There is almost NO way to write the law better. Maybe but not certainly anyway. Thankfully most of the local wardens more or less say if you are sure of age, then do what you have to do and just lets not talk about it again. Makes sense to me because folks that are mindful of quality know more about their deer than the wardens do actually.

Really need to make time to read those rules if you are going to whatever area.

I know the fishing rules on the Talkeetna/Su folks would ask me. My answer is rules. I carry a book in my left back pocket and an attorney in my right back pocket. Its not quite that bad but there are a LOT of rules.. and they change from one side of the river to the other etc... one creek to the next. One goes 1/4 mile up a creek, another 2 miles, but where do you measure the start? Oh they have GPS points... LMAO but to be right you have to follow to the T. Suspect as much as I laugh about the GPS points at least they are black and white so to speak.

After all that, there isn't a single person out there that has not broken a law at some point. Not intentionally likely for most of us, but its been done. Again why folks demand to publish tons of their own stuff publicly is beyond me. Yes I put a few pics on facebook, not to brag but to show folks that cannot make the trip, whats around up here.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

478 members (12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 55 invisible), 2,683 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,946
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.