Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
And I'll add this. Laws here are as ignorant as in Texas at times. Heck the community I used to work for did this same STUPID stuff.

Went and read some of the regs for unit 1 until I found the wounding wording.

Guess what word is NOT defined under the definitions in the rule book.... Flat amazing. Well for .gov actually not really.

Have been looking for wording on caliber/power stuff on bison too. I"ve heard 50/70 sharps not allowed. Can't find that anywhere yet. But would also be "amazing" since the big 50 and its bigger brother took how many bison in the years...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
BP-B2

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by Calvin
Still trying to wrap my head around an arrow hitting a rib and doing a 180

Like you have said before, so many other things can be involved. Same with this. Like I've said that arrow may never have even hit the bear. Hell if it didn't have blood on it why did they even look. An arrow cuts flesh IE if only the broadhead, its going to have blood, hair, fat etc... on it.

I'm not saying this to brag at all, but I quit counting deer/pigs taken with archery gear in the 90s. I was only born in the 60s. I was over 100 at that point. So I have put a few arrows through, past, over, under a few animals.

Animals CAN be quick enough to divert the direction of an arrow as it enters. I've seen plenty duck/whirl/move before an arrow gets there. I've seen arrows deflect off unseen and stupidly enough, seen things.

Like I said earlier I have not even looked for the purported video.

I have seen arrows shot from higher up, aimed down, IE out of tripods and the like, end up exiting HIGHER than the entry wound. I saw one once enter what should have been a perfect basically broadside lung shot get tweaked somehow and end up breaking the neck of the deer and exiting the TOP of the neck.

All that said the argument here is not if it was illegal. It was. Plain and simple. He was wrong, and he got caught. I dont' care for Ted much. One of our nephews loves him. I don't see the attraction. Loud mouthed and so.... I BUT he was wrong, and he was caught and paid the price.

What I would have done after the fact if I was offended, is to seek the intent of the law, heck I might have had an attorney seek it before the court date. WHY is the law in effect. What is the purpose, what is the goal of such law. And follow that up with was the intent of the results broken or not. IE what I'm assuming is to prevent a lost game animal rotting in the woods and not simply going out and continuing to shoot animals until you can find/recover one. I"d say the video should have...shown the animal was not worse for wear and that a fracas with another bear would have been likely much worse of a wound. End intent would be more to change/clarify/remove said law.

That being said wildlife laws are TOUGH. We have antler restrictions in TX. Goal is to allow bucks to mature more before being harvested so we would get more does bred. IT did that. Plus a LOT of other positives to the herd down there. That said it does not allow for the harvest of older bucks that don't meet the criteria of the restrictions. IE width. If you are trash antlers passing on your DNA and you never get to 13 inches inside spread, you cannot ever be harvested/removed from the DNA pool. There is almost NO way to write the law better. Maybe but not certainly anyway. Thankfully most of the local wardens more or less say if you are sure of age, then do what you have to do and just lets not talk about it again. Makes sense to me because folks that are mindful of quality know more about their deer than the wardens do actually.

Really need to make time to read those rules if you are going to whatever area.

I know the fishing rules on the Talkeetna/Su folks would ask me. My answer is rules. I carry a book in my left back pocket and an attorney in my right back pocket. Its not quite that bad but there are a LOT of rules.. and they change from one side of the river to the other etc... one creek to the next. One goes 1/4 mile up a creek, another 2 miles, but where do you measure the start? Oh they have GPS points... LMAO but to be right you have to follow to the T. Suspect as much as I laugh about the GPS points at least they are black and white so to speak.

After all that, there isn't a single person out there that has not broken a law at some point. Not intentionally likely for most of us, but its been done. Again why folks demand to publish tons of their own stuff publicly is beyond me. Yes I put a few pics on facebook, not to brag but to show folks that cannot make the trip, whats around up here.

For micromanage and convoluted fishing regs, it's hard to "beat" the Kenai.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
So you punch your tag without a carcass to seal and then what?.....you get a ticket for wanton waste?......and another ticket for not having your bear sealed within the required amount of time?.....obstruction of justice (great catch-all for any undefined or imaginary laws)?

I’ve never so much as received a warning let alone a ticket because I follow the law nor do I really give 2shits about the Nuge but being honest and self-reporting with the expectations of leniency hasn’t proven to be a smart move in Alaska......filming your mistake and then airing that footage is an even dumber move.

In today’s politically driven game management system where laws are so numerous that everyone is likely breaking some law I tend to view the pious keepers of law and order with a very jaded eye. There’s more than a few known brown shirts as well as blue shirts that are great poachers that deliberately push the boundaries because the likelihood of them getting in trouble is very small. Just because it’s a law doesn’t mean it should necessarily be followed. INOW.....not all laws are just or legal.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ironbender

Like you have said before, so many other things can be involved. Same with this. Like I've said that arrow may never have even hit the bear. Hell if it didn't have blood on it why did they even look. An arrow cuts flesh IE if only the broadhead, its going to have blood, hair, fat etc... on it.

I'm not saying this to brag at all, but I quit counting deer/pigs taken with archery gear in the 90s. I was only born in the 60s. I was over 100 at that point. So I have put a few arrows through, past, over, under a few animals.

Animals CAN be quick enough to divert the direction of an arrow as it enters. I've seen plenty duck/whirl/move before an arrow gets there. I've seen arrows deflect off unseen and stupidly enough, seen things.

I have seen arrows shot from higher up, aimed down, IE out of tripods and the like, end up exiting HIGHER than the entry wound. I saw one once enter what should have been a perfect basically broadside lung shot get tweaked somehow and end up breaking the neck of the deer and exiting the TOP of the neck.

All that said the argument here is not if it was illegal. It was. Plain and simple. He was wrong, and he got caught. I dont' care for Ted much. One of our nephews loves him. I don't see the attraction. Loud mouthed and so.... I BUT he was wrong, and he was caught and paid the price.

What I would have done after the fact if I was offended, is to seek the intent of the law, heck I might have had an attorney seek it before the court date. WHY is the law in effect. What is the purpose, what is the goal of such law. And follow that up with was the intent of the results broken or not. IE what I'm assuming is to prevent a lost game animal rotting in the woods and not simply going out and continuing to shoot animals until you can find/recover one. I"d say the video should have...shown the animal was not worse for wear and that a fracas with another bear would have been likely much worse of a wound. End intent would be more to change/clarify/remove said law.

That being said wildlife laws are TOUGH. We have antler restrictions in TX. Goal is to allow bucks to mature more before being harvested so we would get more does bred. IT did that. Plus a LOT of other positives to the herd down there. That said it does not allow for the harvest of older bucks that don't meet the criteria of the restrictions. IE width. If you are trash antlers passing on your DNA and you never get to 13 inches inside spread, you cannot ever be harvested/removed from the DNA pool. There is almost NO way to write the law better. Maybe but not certainly anyway. Thankfully most of the local wardens more or less say if you are sure of age, then do what you have to do and just lets not talk about it again. Makes sense to me because folks that are mindful of quality know more about their deer than the wardens do actually.

I know the fishing rules on the Talkeetna/Su folks would ask me. My answer is rules. I carry a book in my left back pocket and an attorney in my right back pocket. Its not quite that bad but there are a LOT of rules.. and they change from one side of the river to the other etc... one creek to the next. One goes 1/4 mile up a creek, another 2 miles, but where do you measure the start? Oh they have GPS points... LMAO but to be right you have to follow to the T. Suspect as much as I laugh about the GPS points at least they are black and white so to speak.

After all that, there isn't a single person out there that has not broken a law at some point. Not intentionally likely for most of us, but its been done. Again why folks demand to publish tons of their own stuff publicly is beyond me. Yes I put a few pics on facebook, not to brag but to show folks that cannot make the trip, whats around up here.

For micromanage and convoluted fishing regs, it's hard impossible to "beat" the Kenai.

Fixt it for ya...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
stupid law if thats the case. and a bunch liberals, that part I get. Damn shame its illegal to....

Very old news and yes he broke the law. In SE AK the law has long been "draw blood and you are done." It was expanded to Kodiak bears at least 15 years ago. .

Does SE AK have its own set of regulations? The reason I ask is I hunted around Nome in 2011. I read the regulations I got that year cover to cover. (Some really silly stuff in there.) I never saw a law in there that said if you draw blood your done. Maybe I missed it.

Different laws across the state for many different things, especially methods and means of hunting and fishing.

Are there different regulation pamphlets available? That could get a NR in trouble even though he thinks he has the regs right.

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
regs have all units in the hunting book. 1-27 IIRC possibly.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

For micromanage and convoluted fishing regs, it's hard impossible to "beat" the Kenai.

Fixt it for ya...

LOL. Now you gonna make me find my fishing regs and read the kenai. Or not. Maybe shouldn't confuse my brain

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Guilty, "ignorance of the law" and all that. Shouldn't have been prosecuted, though.

Also, boring. There was no penetration.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Link to the bouncing arrow video??

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L

Hey, I had the back half of a NP 210 .338WM at 100 yards apparently do the same thing on a moose shoulder blade. The front portion turned into tiny BBs throughout the near lung, never penetrating to the off side lung. I looked, but never found the back half, so I think it "bounced" back out the entry wound. Weird things can happen to projectiles.

Exciting times when he jumped up again when I was 10 feet away. Last time I ever used either a 210 or a frontal approach.... smile

I will say the second one basically up his nose worked.

I will therefore not positively say an arrow can't act the way Teddy said happened. But then I know jack all about archery.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I recently asked a Fairbanks enforcement Trooper about punching your tag if you believe you shot a moose, but did not recover it. It took him two days to chase down what he believed was the correct answer.

According to him it is not illegal to keep hunting moose if you shot another moose and did not recover it. He said it used to be illegal, but attorneys got involved in having it changed. Reason I asked him is because I knew a guy whos two kids shot and lost two moose the last two years.

One needs to be well versed in keeping up to date on the current regs for the species one is hunting in a given game unit. When in doubt, call Fish and Game and get an answer.

Personally, I don't know why there has to be a law against it. I was brought up knowing if you shoot and animal you punch your tag whether you recover it or not. I taught my children that and make it clear to any one I hunt with. Compared to many I have had a mediocre hunting career, but I believe that approach to hunting is why in 54 years I have never shot and lost a big game animal. I am disgusted with those that think it is ok to loose an animal and keep hunting for that species in the same season.

I also think if you are an international hunting celebrity and filming hunting shows you should know the rules an, just like everyone else is expected to. What was his intent, that is now a credible defense, right?

Last edited by 1Akshooter; 10/24/19.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 1Akshooter
I recently asked a Fairbanks enforcement Trooper about punching your tag if you believe you shot a moose, but did not recover it. It took him two days to chase down what he believed was the correct answer.

According to him it is not illegal to keep hunting moose if you shot another moose and did not recover it. He said it used to be illegal, but attorneys got involved in having it changed. Reason I asked him is because I knew a guy whos two kids shot and lost two moose the last two years.

One needs to be well versed in keeping up to date on the current regs for the species one is hunting in a given game unit. When in doubt, call Fish and Game and get an answer.

Personally, I don't know why there has to be a law against it. I was brought up knowing if you shoot and animal you punch your tag whether you recover it or not. I taught my children that and make it clear to any one I hunt with. Compared to many I have had a mediocre hunting career, but I believe that approach to hunting is why in 54 years I have never shot and lost a big game animal. I am disgusted with those that think it is ok to loose an animal and keep hunting for that species in the same season.

I also think if you are an international hunting celebrity and filming hunting shows you should know the rules an, just like everyone else is expected to. What was his intent, that is now a credible defense, right?

That dont sound right.

There was a F&G bio that shot a moose, that was not recovered. A day or two later, shoots a moose he thinks is the one that was wounded. It wasn't..

Ticket and bit of chit storm was the result. This in the last year or three.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
I do not know about anywhere else. But in Idaho, you tag recovered game. And only recovered game counts toward bag/possession limit.

Tagging a lost animal sounds pretty ridiculous to me.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WDH
Google ted nugent California and see what comes up.

OK....I did....and have to say that he pleaded no contest to two misdemeanors, neither diminished him in my eyes.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by vapodog
Originally Posted by WDH
Google ted nugent California and see what comes up.

OK....I did....and have to say that he pleaded no contest to two misdemeanors, neither diminished him in my eyes.

He claimed in that case a lack of knowledge of the law... Why should that excuse work anywhere?

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Why not just shoot all of them and pick the one you like?

LOL
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I spent 25 years enforcing the fish and game laws and I had an unhappy experience with him.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wildhobbybobby
I spent 25 years enforcing the fish and game laws and I had an unhappy experience with him.

Please tell us about it

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wildhobbybobby

Cat scratch fever?

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by kingston
If he wasn't doing this stuff for profit, I'd say give the guy a break. Nugent is a professional and plays the high profile TV super star game. The standard should be higher, the highest, really. It's not like Alaska passed the law the day before and he was already in the woods. It's not enough to claim it as an innocent mistake/oversight, not when you're representing an industry at that level. It shouldn't go without mention that Nugent's actions reflect on the rest of us hunters who are not an industry—on all of us who hunt for our own reasons.

The ironic part I posted above.

You mean there are only two things you dislike about him?

His face?

Art you could not possibly be more of an opinionated sack of shït if you tried. But in your defense lots of guys here have forgotten about you ripping people off and loosing your mod spot. LOL.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
157 members (338Rules, 32_20fan, 358WCF, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 19 invisible), 2,002 guests, and 949 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,648
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.