Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Attn: Durango area Campfire forums members ! Does anyone know if the 87 yr old Oklahoma man was found ? He had been hunting near Delores and did not return off the mtn to meet his fellow hunters at pick-up time. Search and rescue had not found him after searching with rescue crew, bloodhounds and helicopters. He has been missing since Sat evening and the weather has turned colder. Anyone with news ? Thank you in advance. Google showed nothing positive for me. HH

GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Doesn't sound good. We lost an elderly hunter in Wyoming several years ago and no sign of him has ever been found, it was a heavily hunted area too.
At least perhaps he went out doing what he enjoys.
Prayers for his return to his family.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I live in Durango------No news on the missing hunter.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
How many 87 year old people are in good enough physical condition to be safely hunting in rough terrain at altitude by themselves?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
FYI-----It's Dolores. With an "O" -- I really like that town.

Last edited by colorado bob; 10/23/19.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
At 87, I’d consider myself fortunate to expire on an elk hunt.

Hope he’s not suffering.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Four days. Not good.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Thank you Colorado Bob... I thought I might have mis-spelled Dolores while I was lying in bed thinking of the older gentleman... praying he be found alive and safe.

Thank you all for your thoughts and input. Family claims the 87 yr old was sharp as a tack, a former principal.

For the familes sake... for closure... if the search & rescue is over, I hope they can recover their loved one. God Bless and comfort this family over the loss of a loved one. HH

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Local newspaper still has him listed as missing. They said that they’re also using aerial searches. He set up camp about halfway between Dolores and Rico, to the east of 145. Some pretty rugged country in there.
John(dog)

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I tell my wife often that I hope to go out of this life sitting on a mountain, sun on my face, rifle in my lap.

Hope they find the gentleman either way.

IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by ndhunterman
I tell my wife often that I hope to go out of this life sitting on a mountain, sun on my face, rifle in my lap.

I as well and told her to just leave me there happy.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Hungry Horse
Thank you Colorado Bob... I thought I might have mis-spelled Dolores while I was lying in bed thinking of the older gentleman... praying he be found alive and safe.

Thank you all for your thoughts and input. Family claims the 87 yr old was sharp as a tack, a former principal.

For the familes sake... for closure... if the search & rescue is over, I hope they can recover their loved one. God Bless and comfort this family over the loss of a loved one. HH

Originally Posted by JohnDog
Local newspaper still has him listed as missing. They said that they’re also using aerial searches. He set up camp about halfway between Dolores and Rico, to the east of 145. Some pretty rugged country in there.
John(dog)

From what I remember camp was above 10k in that area and the ravines went down forever.

I retired from the Johns Manville asbestos pop tart factory in ‘59, and still never made the connection.—-Slumlord
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by fredIII

Told my wife the same thing a few weeks back when I was laying in the ICU, told her the animals have fed me all these years it was my turn to give back...

Ted
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
87 year old doing what he loved. I hope they find him alive and if he passed that they find his remains so his family can have closure.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Maybe he knew death was near and didn't want to be found...If that's the case more power to him...

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
John Dog: Thanks for the update on the missing 87 yr old, been too long for him now... not a promising end !

ndhunterman I also hope that when it it my time to go from this world ... I am hunting and happy in one of my happy places.

kroo88: I have seen google maps of that area you mention, I agree rugged country and deep creek ravines.

Oldelkhunter I also hope they find him hopefully uninjured, but if not... finding his body will give the family closure.

Thank you men for your concerned thoughts. I hope for a good ending to this search. HH

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve hunted all over that area from Stoner Mesa to the east. It’s some serious rough country.
Prayers sent for the fella and his family.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by sgt217
Maybe he knew death was near and didn't want to be found...If that's the case more power to him...

I had a buddy that was joking about death one day coyote hunting w me. He was leaving later that day to go pheasant hunting.

He pheasant hunted the next morning and when they went to town for lunch he had a heart attack and died in the booth at the restaraunt.

I have a sneaking suspicion he knew what was coming.

Still bugs me a little that I watched him miss a chip shot at the last coyote he ever shot at.

Hope they find the gentleman no matter what the case may be.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 10/25/19.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not a bad place to leave this earth, if you're ready to go.

Hope they find him, one way or the other, for his sake and for the sake of his family.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by old_willys
Originally Posted by fredIII

Told my wife the same thing a few weeks back when I was laying in the ICU, told her the animals have fed me all these years it was my turn to give back...

I told my wife the same thing and she said, "hell, let's go now and I'll loan yoiu my rifle."

DIdn't quite know what to make of that.......

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

456 members (163bc, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 42 invisible), 2,081 guests, and 1,129 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,762
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.