Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
So we had a historic flood at our ranch which took out our bridge and completely changed the river around our place. Now with no bridge, the only way to the other side is a 6 mile one way trip around on the highway. But, we had some dirt work done to get down to the river but with the new river channel, the bottom remains unpredictable. We have crossed in our ranger but only with putting on waders and walking it first and if there is any run off at all, it would be too deep to cross.

I realize the Argo vehicles are kind of a rough ride, not really for lots of driving around but wonder if it would make sense to pick up a used one to just use to cross the river back and forth? We could leave a vehicle on the other side to use once we cross.

Anyone had one or spent any time using one? Thoughts?

GB2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
They are high maintenance (chains, spindles), and they love to get stuck in mud/swamps. But, they don't sink in deep, so they can be winched out pretty easy. You don't want to tackle any kind of fast moving water in one, as they are a floating bathtub and even slower in the water. On tracks, they do pretty well, even in the swamps, but are even slower.

I'm not a huge fan, but have had a few friends who have owned them, and one who still does.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I have hunted with them in Newfoundland bogs and on the Zambezi Delta flood plains. For the use you describe, they will be fine, as long as the current isn’t really swift. Never had to winch one in both habitats. And covered a lot of miles floating over papyrus swamps!

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Considering the price of an Argo, take a look around for a good used Duck Boat.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
The creek we have is about 25 feet wide, moderate flow. Mostly shallow, as we have crossed it with a Ranger XP but the bottom is shifty and sometimes deeper spots develop, sometimes even overnight, going from 12-18 inches deep to 30+ inches, a depth that makes me nervous in a Ranger

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
With a moniker like duckster, you have probably seen more of those Argo things than most of us. A highly specialized vehicle that gets stopped here by the first close set of trees. I think they do have an outboard motor mount because like jdollar writes, you will be somewhere downstream if you are going to rely on those tires for propulsion in deeper water and current. A light weight jon boat sure comes to mind if you can camp it on the river bank. I've gotten away from the Sorel booted hunting guys by crossing a river using a pair of chest waders and one of those inner tube floating things with the seat built into it.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Considering the price of an Argo, take a look around for a good used Duck Boat.
when I said 'duck boat', I didn't mean a duck hunting jon boat. I meant one of these. They have a propeller for rougher water.

[Linked Image from jurist.org]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
That would certainly do it! ^^

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Duckster, nothing much good being written about Argos up in the Hunters Campfire general discussion forum.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by cwh2
They are high maintenance (chains, spindles), and they love to get stuck in mud/swamps. But, they don't sink in deep, so they can be winched out pretty easy. You don't want to tackle any kind of fast moving water in one, as they are a floating bathtub and even slower in the water. On tracks, they do pretty well, even in the swamps, but are even slower.

I'm not a huge fan, but have had a few friends who have owned them, and one who still does.

That about explains it. Also, don't fet the wide tracks. They bend inward and pops your tire off the rim

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My experience with them is from 20 or more years ago. I hope they are better now. High maintenance and poor performance back then.

Last edited by BlueDuck; 11/03/19.
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Thanks for the information. We are still trying to figure out our next step

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just picked up a 2019 Argo Aurora SX 800 with the Adair Mud Pro tracks, took it to the cabin 2 weekends ago and have to say, I was impressed that the ride didn't beat the hell out of me and I went places I couldn't even think of with my Rhino. We've got the full soft cab so we stayed dry and warm while it was 30 degrees and snowing outside. They are not a fast machine but will get you anywhere you want to go.

Attached Images
2019 Argo Aurora.jpg (38.1 KB, 113 downloads)

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
I just picked up a 2019 Argo Aurora SX 800 with the Adair Mud Pro tracks, took it to the cabin 2 weekends ago and have to say, I was impressed that the ride didn't beat the hell out of me and I went places I couldn't even think of with my Rhino. We've got the full soft cab so we stayed dry and warm while it was 30 degrees and snowing outside. They are not a fast machine but will get you anywhere you want to go.

Until they break down, then they won't. I hope you have better luck than the Argo's I've been around. The owner's become Argo mechanics pretty quick.

Last edited by tansinator; 11/04/19.

Eagle Lake, Mississippi is close to heaven.

"Everything Hipsters touch turns to chit........Period..
Whisky.....Beer.....Tobacco.....Boots....Clothing....Gear......you name it..
Good thing the fuggers don't like firearms.." Fieldgrade

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Hope it works out for you man! There are a bunch of them running around in that neck of the woods, that's for sure.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cwh2

Hope it works out for you man! There are a bunch of them running around in that neck of the woods, that's for sure.
Yeah, my neighbor 2 lots of over from our cabin has one and he crosses the swamps easily, unlike my Rhino where I have to go around everything to get to our place plus I can't visit my friends cabins in the summer and fall with the Rhino either, now I will be able too. We'll see how she goes, as long as I stay on top of the maintenance we should be ok.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A Weasel......in line 6 Studebaker

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
763 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 85 invisible), 2,935 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,704
Posts18,400,075
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.