Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Windfall
The question isn't would a .44 Magnum kill a big deer, it would be can I hit a big deer with a .44 Magnum? You can kill a close deer with a rifle that shoots far, but you can't kill a far deer with a rifle that shoots close. One year my buddy showed up with a Ruger .44 carbine and I still remember the look on his face when I suggest that he post overlooking an expanse hundreds of yards long while I drove out the adjoining woods. The next year he showed up with a .300 WSM. I shoot close deer too, but they do show up far away now and again and having a 7mm-08 seems a better choice.

On another hunting forum I asked the question once, "What centerfire cartridge kills a deer out of proportion to what the paper ballistics say it should?" There was a tie for top honors between the .44 Magnum and the .257 Roberts. I once asked a guy at the range how the Ruger .44 carbine he was sighting in worked on deer and he said that the one the year before just fell over like a rabbit. Pretty effective within its range limitations I'd say. I just don't like its limitations.

IMO, there are no universal "best" rifle/cartridge combinations for hunting deer and elk in North America.

A golfer doesn't expect to play 18-holes with 1 club and a serious hunter shouldn't expect to hunt all wildlife habitats with 1 rifle.

When I still-hunt tight cover where shots come quickly and are mostly measured in dozens of yards, I prefer to carry a cut-down Winchester 100 in 308 for deer or a Remington 760 in 270 for elk.

When I over-watch over areas where shots are mostly measured in hundreds of yards, I prefer to carry a bolt action rifle that has proven to shoot MOA or better.

Why would you recommend that your buddy who was equipped with a short range rifle/cartridge combination take an over-watch stand unless you wanted to see him fail?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've shot a bunch of deer from 15 yards - 100 yards with my Ruger Deerfield. Hornady 240 gr XTP's have been perfect so far. No tracking has been required, they hit like Thor's hammer.

Last edited by 4570fan; 10/15/19.
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A friend back in Ontario has had one of those original .44 mag semi auto carbines since 1968 or so.

He only uses factory ammo, Norma is most accurate in his rifle.

He is one of those guys that simply can't sit still on a pass, so he is always moving: thus, most of his shots are fast and under 50 yards.

He has killed about 20 deer and 3 moose with the little rifle.

John

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have killed elk with one so I figure any deer would be easy ,no matter how big they are.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
My mentor taught me quite a bit
And I believe most was right on

But he poisoned my mind on deer hunting with a 44
Most experiences here fly in the face of his experiences

Sounds like many here have had much better results with 44s

One thing I wonder if he helped do a lot of tracking from family members with poor shot placement

Maybe?

Makes me want to try it and find out for my self but I sit on the edge of a field a lot so I personally need that gun that can shoot close but also reach out that was previously mentioned

If I could only harvest 50 a year I would know so much more
Hank

Last edited by boatboy; 10/15/19.

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Understood. The feud edges I might shoot over are generally pretty short. Still, there are Swamps and rarely bottoms to be shot over. I find .308 to be more effective for that. But bumping around In the timber, still-hunting, tracking in snow; how far is the shot gonna be? 50 yards? Really even that?

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
What did your mentor learn you on it? I would not have asked if I was not open to listening...

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Having personality seen what my son has done to some pretty decent sized pigs with his Marlin .44 Mag, there is not a deer on the planet I would hesitate to shoot with one.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
Having personality seen what my son has done to some pretty decent sized pigs with his Marlin .44 Mag, there is not a deer on the planet I would hesitate to shoot with one.

John

Good to know, thanks. Because that would be another purpose-minded task I did not mention. Have a close friend inTX who has been able to buy himself a nice, smallish property in Franklin. Hog clearance is at the top of the list. Sounds appropriate and fun to me.

Last edited by Mr_Harry; 10/16/19.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Mr_Harry
What did your mentor learn you on it? I would not have asked if I was not open to listening...

I think my point was he felt like he did a lot of tracking of people that shot 44 Magnum during deer season. He was not necessarily a big gun guy because when they made the 223 legal here with Barnes Bullets he was deadly. He just felt like he did a lot of unnecessary tracking with Wounded deer in 44mags. But as I read the comments on this post with great interest that is not everybody else's experience it seems some people are very happy with the 44 Magnum. So again it may be people taking potshots at distances they should not or not well-placed shots the tainted his view. Most information that he handed down to me I found to be very valuable but I also as someone who likes to try my own stuff too and at times I find my results could be a little different but I still value his Insight very much God bless him.

I think with quite a few of the long time campfire members SSB had pretty good credibility

Hank.

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
But as I said in a previous post killing a deer or two a year ain't never going to make me an expert. So I have to rely on what I've seen first-hand which is limited but then also learn from credible sources and when you couple that all together I think it's a good way to expand your knowledge. But nothing teaches you like first-hand experience
Hank

Last edited by boatboy; 10/17/19.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
+1 on the Hornady 240gr. XTP's, I'd limit my shots to 100-150yds. especially on big whitetails.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by boatboy

I think my point was he felt like he did a lot of tracking of people that shot 44 Magnum during deer season. He was not necessarily a big gun guy because when they made the 223 legal here with Barnes Bullets he was deadly. He just felt like he did a lot of unnecessary tracking with Wounded deer in 44mags. But as I read the comments on this post with great interest that is not everybody else's experience it seems some people are very happy with the 44 Magnum. So again it may be people taking potshots at distances they should not or not well-placed shots the tainted his view. Most information that he handed down to me I found to be very valuable but I also as someone who likes to try my own stuff too and at times I find my results could be a little different but I still value his Insight very much God bless him.

I think with quite a few of the long time campfire members SSB had pretty good credibility

Hank.

I've been on more tracking parties for 30-06 shot deer at my camp than 243 victims.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you can deal with only having one shot, the Henry Single Shot is handy at 37.5" and under 7lbs, has a 1-20" twist 22" barrel, and will "feed" anything that will fit in the chamber. Under $400. Might be hard to find a blued one, most appear to be the brassy Pimp Special model.

To scope it you need the base and a hammer spur extension, both available from Henry. A lighter trigger spring may also be in order. I know a guy (me) who'll sell you one at cost.

My .44 is a Browning Low Wall; 24" 1-20 twist barrel, tang and barrel sights. Haven't had it d&t for a scope yet, and now the Henry can be purchased for about the cost of the mounts and labor without futzing up the collector value, so likely won't. Hasn't gone afield yet, but doe season is coming up.

Pretty late to be thinking about a new rifle; not that I haven't done the same.

What fresh Hell is this?
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by mathman

I've been on more tracking parties for 30-06 shot deer at my camp than 243 victims.

Lung-shot deer, in my experience, hump up at the shot and run off. Usually not far, but rarely DRT.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wouldn't hesitate to shoot the biggest deer that ever walked with a 44 carbine - as long as the distance was within 100 yards. Most 44 Mag bullets are about as aerodynamic as tuna cans and trajectory and velocity suffer much past that.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by boatboy

Hank.

Exactly the opposite at my deer camps, the 243 is responsible for far more tracking issues than all others combined including the 223. I think the problem is the guys use them as real deer rifles instead of stunt shooters.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm having computer problems, and can't get this link to work, so maybe someone will link it here. Google the story of legendary Kentucky whitetail Big Red. The buck was killed in neighboring Todd County in 1964, and was at one time the whitetail with the greatest antler spread, of 34 1/2 inches. I knew the man who owned the farm he was killed on, as well as some other hunters who were also hunting the buck. Also, I happened to meet the hunting companion of the man who killed the deer. The hunter was using then then new Ruger 44 Carbine, and fired 14 shots that day. He hit the deer numerous times. The original story was in Outdoor Life magazine, which I had the copy at one time, and not a word was mentioned about how many shots were fired. I was told by what I considered a very reliable source, that either Remington, which was the ammo he used, or Ruger, paid the hunter not to mention that he fired 14 shots.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Why would they pay him not to reveal he was a poor aim?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One thing to remember is that the 44 mag is a whole different animal in a carbine than it is in a revolver in which it is most familiar to most hunters. For example, average, white box Win 240-gr loads that leave my Smith 329 4” at 1200 fps exit my Marlin 94 at 1750 fps, a whole 500+ fps increase.

44 Mag Buffalo Bore Deer Grenades do even better at 1950 fps. They are loaded hotter, as they say, ~ 1500 fps from a revolver. And that’s not to mention other BB or Grizzly ammo loads, not to mention hand-loads if your carbine shoots them well. And we make a great distinction between a180 30-06 and that from a 300 Win Mag, a difference of maybe ~ 200 fps +/-.

So, yeah, for a woods’ deer cartridge, and paying attention to your bullet, the 44 mag out of any carbine, is really a very good choice and not at all a barely sufficient one assuming correct placement per usual. Compare for instance to the new Win 350 Legend load which gives a 150/180-gr bullet 2300/2100 +/- fps. And it was created primarily for deer/hogs. It’s basically just 357 Mag “Long”. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Last edited by George_De_Vries_3rd; 10/23/19.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 63 invisible), 2,508 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,344
Posts18,468,761
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.