Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
I don't post much here anymore, but one of the things I miss about this place before it went off the rails was the threads dedicated to simply pics and stories of how guys' season went. I can't remember how they were titled, but I remember there were threads that were kind of a catchall for how the season went for everybody. Would be neat if we could do it again.

Our rifle season opens up here in a few days, pretty stoked. I haven't tagged out on anything the last couple years, been too picky but my son has done ok. This year I'm not being so picky. smile

MAGA
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Good to see you Gruff. Our rifle season is still a month off.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hope you and your son have a fun season Gruf,

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Great to see you back I like those threads too!

Best of luck to you and your son this season,

Efw

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
So far it has been a good season for me, and I still have a Montana mule deer hunt and a late cow elk hunt left here in WY, plus lots of pheasant and chukar.

So far this fall I've taken 3 antelope (2 does, 1 buck), a mule deer buck, a raghorn elk and a fair amount of grouse.

If you want to count 2019 as a whole: I've also got a mouflon ram, Iberian red deer, spring black bear and 2 tom turkeys, plus some late winter rock and willow ptarmagin. I struck out on Himalayan snowcock.

Could be a worse year, no doubt.

IC B2

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Haven’t killed anything but pigs yet, but having a great time!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Hey Gruff, look forward to the photos....like 'the old days.'

Good luck to you and your son. Bet he has grown.....

Still packing the fast twist .22-250?

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Gwen and I have both killed does during archery season. rut starts very soon more to come. give em' hell Gruff

FJB
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Give 'em hell BGG...Im sitting this one out...going to Texas and hunt where its warm!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Thanks for the well wishes gentlemen, been gone from the homestead quite a bit this year, looking forward to some downtime in the woods with the boy. Good luck to all you guys as well!

I was going to try and smoke a pig when I was in TX, but just didn't work out. Someday.

Originally Posted by T_Inman
So far it has been a good season for me, and I still have a Montana mule deer hunt and a late cow elk hunt left here in WY, plus lots of pheasant and chukar.

So far this fall I've taken 3 antelope (2 does, 1 buck), a mule deer buck, a raghorn elk and a fair amount of grouse.

If you want to count 2019 as a whole: I've also got a mouflon ram, Iberian red deer, spring black bear and 2 tom turkeys, plus some late winter rock and willow ptarmagin. I struck out on Himalayan snowcock.

That's a hell of a year T-man. Damn! never heard of a snowcock, afraid to Google it.

Originally Posted by mmgravy
Hey Gruff, look forward to the photos....like 'the old days.'

Good luck to you and your son. Bet he has grown.....

Still packing the fast twist .22-250?

Almost 17 and he's bigger'n me now. Looking forward to him dragging my deer out for a change. smile

The 2-fiddy is on back up. Too many damned grizz around, I'm toting my '06 with 200 gr partitions when I'm by myself or with the boy. Got pics and shidt right here tight against my property fence. Makes dragging the deer home through the willows and across the creek up to my place a bit tense lol.

Originally Posted by rockchucker
Gwen and I have both killed does during archery season. rut starts very soon more to come. give em' hell Gruff

Been seeing your pics, good times man.

MAGA
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Thanks for the well wishes gentlemen, been gone from the homestead quite a bit this year, looking forward to some downtime in the woods with the boy. Good luck to all you guys as well!

I was going to try and smoke a pig when I was in TX, but just didn't work out. Someday.

Almost 17 and he's bigger'n me now. Looking forward to him dragging my deer out for a change. smile

17? Holy spit, times flies.

I smoked a pig in Texas once. Did not taste good. She was a fattie......and ugly.

Miss you.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Hey 'Gruff, good to see you posting.

Rifle season starts Nov 2nd, so Deb, the boy & I will likely get into it soon enough.

Got a couple of bears tearing things up, so if our paths cross before Oct 31st, that'll be first meat.

Been so wet that we didn't bow hunt this season.

Lookin' forward to everyone stories & pic essays !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Paul.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks for the update!!

Look forward to seeing photos.....

The fast twist Swift worked out very, very well. Sure kills shidt....

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Ohhh that's nice when that happens. lol.

I'm right on the cusp of that happening. He's 14

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
One bear so far and my blacktail tag filled

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

LOL
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by wageslave

17? Holy spit, times flies.

I smoked a pig in Texas once. Did not taste good. She was a fattie......and ugly.

Miss you.

Flies indeed! Lots a variety where I was, most of a spicy pepper persuasion

Originally Posted by New_2_99s

Damn, egg on my face I missed that whole thread in my perusal last year. Good times. smile

Originally Posted by mmgravy
Thanks for the update!!

Look forward to seeing photos.....

The fast twist Swift worked out very, very well. Sure kills shidt....

Dude, they're magical.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
One bear so far and my blacktail tag filled

Nice critters.

Still no joy 'round here yet. Did follow some black bear sign while poking around in a new area today. Big damned grizzly tracks where I was going to start the day

MAGA
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I may have missed it, but what do you have tags for?

My only Montana hunting was as camp cook, deer rattler, grouse shooter guy while friends hunted deer and elk near Libby. Nice that you can hunt the two at the same time, vs. Oregon where deer and elk have their own season, to eliminate the party hunting the old loggers did so much of a few decades ago. Everyone kept hunting till all the tags in camp were filled. Or a party would get one or two elk tags and everyone would hunt deer but would shoot an elk if they saw one and punch a camp tag. Friggen outlaws ruined it for all of us for life. Would love to take one vacation a year and hunt everything.

LOL
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I don't post much here anymore, but one of the things I miss about this place before it went off the rails was the threads dedicated to simply pics and stories of how guys' season went. I can't remember how they were titled, but I remember there were threads that were kind of a catchall for how the season went for everybody. Would be neat if we could do it again.

Our rifle season opens up here in a few days, pretty stoked. I haven't tagged out on anything the last couple years, been too picky but my son has done ok. This year I'm not being so picky. smile

Good post, I wish there were more like this, sometimes it is difficult to find much on hunting& shooting here.
My season has been so interrupted by health stuff and I live at the doorstep of the west slope. I haven't found much that interested me, so have passed on smaller rams, I have a mountain goat tag in my pocket, hope I can get out. Sheep season is over, elk too. Everything else is on. NW Montana, not far from us in SE BC.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Not my biggest critters, but I'll take them without complaint.

NoDak pheasants next week, then Montana deer after that.

Good luck up there Gruff. That NW Montana country is tough hunting.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

Good to hear from you Gruff. I quit posting here also, then realized it was just a certain toxic area here that was good to avoid. It’s still a pretty good site aside from that one.

Anyway, I finally managed to draw a couple tags this year and am looking forward to some quality time outdoors. Hope your time is as good and that all is well with you and yours... smile

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
gruff been hammer time here Gwen and i got 2 studs this week while bow hunting

FJB
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
'Gruff, Deb put the hammer down yesterday !

Decided to sit for the afternoon, as we had a cold front coming in.

Got the call, at work at 4:45pm, Savage lady hunter in 7mm-08, 120gr TTSX Barnes Vortx, 2-7 x Redfield revolution.

Meat hanging !!

Tenderloins n heart for supper tonight.

Paul.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Outstanding!

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I've only killed 2 does so far with the crossbow. Didn't shoot a damn thing during early muzzle loader. Haven't seen any good bucks yet, only 6 & 4 pointers. The rut will kick up in a couple of weeks and everything will change. Gun season comes in on the 30th right about the time the rut is going crazy.

Almost had a coyote on Saturday morning. He came out of the thicket about 75 yards away and came directly towards me. Couldn't get a shot with the crossbow. When he got about 30 yards away, the bastard saw me up in the tree. It was cold and I think he saw my breath. The freaking coyotes have about ruined my deer hunting place. My son killed one last spring from that same spot when he was turkey hunting. The yote went after his turkey decoy. That #4 shot didn't cut him any slack.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Outstanding!

Thanks JG, I'll pass it on to Deb !

I forgot to mention, that by the time I got there, she had dragged it half way to the trail too !!

smile

Paul.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
'Gruff, Deb put the hammer down yesterday !

Decided to sit for the afternoon, as we had a cold front coming in.

Got the call, at work at 4:45pm, Savage lady hunter in 7mm-08, 120gr TTSX Barnes Vortx, 2-7 x Redfield revolution.

Meat hanging !!

Tenderloins n heart for supper tonight.

That is awesome! Congrats to Mrs. 99.

She looks happy as a lark and should be, on a job well done.

Enjoy the fruits of her success.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Cheers everyone !

Yep, Deb is special, in the GOOD way !

grin

Paul.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Antelope season is over and we filled 4 of 5 tags. Could have filled the fifth but no shot was taken (304 yards). I filled both of my tags.

Haven't had a deer license for a couple years but Daughter and SIL have filled theirs.

Elk season starts in 7 days. SIL and I have two elk tags, Daughter #1 has one and I think both have deer tags. Could have taken an elk last year but wanted Daughter #1 to get her first and she wanted to close to 400 yards (from 477). We tried but by then they were gone and then the truck broke down, pretty much ending the hunt. To say i'm mentally ready for this year's hunt would be an understatement.

Good luck to you and your son.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E

My freezer is full and it's time for small game hunting.

Couple of highlights:

Turf n turf:

Pretty good SC buck:

Felt my age getting him back to the truck.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
was fortunate to kill plenty of squirrels earlier, then killed a cow elk in chama, new mexico last week. our deer opened yesterday. have seen several but just not the one i want. we have a long deer season, so getting a few with the kids and grandkids hasn't been a problem. i have 5 sons and at least 5 grandkids who will hunt this year. expecting a great deer and duck season.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Annual porcine parade..[Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Shot a few more, but that's the gist.

Hope all of you have a good season.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Howdy B G G, good to see you back.

I post these few here for you. Normally I post the season's activity in the Deer Hunting Forum and there are quite a few threads there now pertaining to this season ( 2019 ).

In October we have a Modern Gun Doe ONLY season and this guy shows up !
But I shot him with my Iphone anyway.

He was dead and didn't know it --> but he got a pass.

Our Regular Modern Gun Deer Season opened last Sat 11/9/19
I've been sick with Sinuses and we've had Rain, Wind, Record Cold etc. TILL today. This was my first day to hunt
SO.... I busted this 9 pt, 170 #

That is where he fell and he WAS headed to the pond before I shot him..... He almost made it.

He fell on the bullet exit side. He had been tearing up Pine & Cedar saplings.
My M 98, 284 Win won the battle.

I still have 5 Saturdays and 4 weeks to find the 'BEEG' one.

Don't be a stranger.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Started with pheasants
[Linked Image]

Then pronghorn

[Linked Image]

Have a cow elk hunt Dec 7th.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
The rut is cranking up now. Friday afternoon was pretty busy, but Saturday morning was crazy. The does were doing their best to elude the bucks. Then this guy came along. I almost missed him. I was using my crossbow and I thought it was about 30 to 35 yards. It turned out to be more like 40, so I hit him low in front of the front leg and exited behind the other front leg real low. Luckily I was using Rage 2+ (2 3/8") and got enough vitals to put him down. He was quartering a little towards me and I shot a little to the right. He ran about 100 yards and stood there for a second, then walked off and disappeared into the thick stuff. I couldn't believe he didn't crash right there. I knew he was hit good because I could see blood on his front legs. I had a good blood trail and located him 150 yards closer to the truck than where I shot him for a change.

When I was tracking him, I came across this rub.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Brian, That's a really nice buck----Bob

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
YEAH ! That'll work.

Glad you were high enuff. wink

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 11/19/19.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Jesus, helluva buck there Greg...

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Fantastic Buck Greg !!!

grin

Paul.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Thanks fellers. This was my target buck. I found this buck on opening AM but his left beam was gone. No reason for it to be. We are not close to rut yet.

The big 3 was my backup buck but I am fortunate to have found him where he was living with 85 degree temps and the backside of a full moon...

Summer photo of the big 3 not quite maxed out yet. Crappy photo. Does the buck no justice...

- Greg

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Very happy for ya brother man, shows what scouting, patience and gettin after it will do...grats man

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
We need cactus surgery pics...grin...

- Greg

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
😂😂😂 God damn it!!!! Everything in that country poles or scratches ya!!!

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GregW

Way to get it done again on public land, bud...Monsters are out there. You always prove it. 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Greg, that is a great buck. 85 degrees, whew!

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Gwen hammered a nice 12 point opening day of Missouri's rifle season. 243 Browning abolt. The girl is on fire i tell you

FJB
E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Dang Greg that is an absolute beast of a mulie congrats!

Congratulations to Gwen as well RC that’s super cool!

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rockchucker
Gwen hammered a nice 12 point opening day of Missouri's rifle season. 243 Browning abolt. The girl is on fire i tell you

Need picks Bobby !!

Love it when the girl's succeed !

Paul.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I don't post a lot of pics but wanted to share my 2019 AZ Coues Whitetail. 280 Rem 180 ELD-M, 530 yards.

How do you know a Trump hater? They'll tell you.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Oh heck yes bud! Great job!

- Greg

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by roundoak
Greg, that is a great buck. 85 degrees, whew!

It was rough....

- Greg

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by peeshooter
I don't post a lot of pics but wanted to share my 2019 AZ Coues Whitetail. 280 Rem 180 ELD-M, 530 yards.

Pee',

That's a ripper !!!!

Paul.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
[quote=peeshooter]I don't post a lot of pics but wanted to share my 2019 AZ Coues Whitetail. 280 Rem 180 ELD-M, 530 yards.

Pee',

That's a ripper !!!!
--------------------------------

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Very nice!! I want one!! 🤣🤣

Ain’t easy havin pals.
E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E

Dewd!!!! That’s awesome man!!!

Two genuine bucket list animals in this thread; Greg’s mulie & that hawg coues!

Nicely done sir!

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Thanks guys. Both from Arizona too.

How do you know a Trump hater? They'll tell you.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Paul.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
We started with Antelope...

Moved to the youth deer hunt...

Then I tagged a decent mulie...

Still looking for elk but haven't given them a lot of effort. Less worried about it with a freezer full of antelope and some leftover elk from last year.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
passed on a bunch of bucks, a few bigger than the one I shot, in Montana and took this one.

this Montana antelope

Last edited by ribka; 11/26/19.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Gwen and I pole axed a couple of good ones during MO rifle season

FJB
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
and during bow season smile

FJB
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Blessed Bobby !

Paul.

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Stonecutter & RC awesome bucks!

RC you got yourself a fine woman; I’ve been begging my wife for years to come hunting I’d love to get her out in the woods with me.

Medriver those family hunt pics of yours are something I look forward to every year. You’re living the dream sir what a great family!

Congrats to all I’m loving this thread!

B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Wow thanks for all the pics and posts. You guys have had some fuggin good seasons! I love seeing them, from all over too, good wide representation. Badass, and congrats to all you guys. and wives thereof. smile Keep them coming!

I ate tag soup this year. Not for not trying, spent a lot of time in the woods. Kinda hard headed, in that I really wanted to poke something close to home. Lots of rubs, scrapes, trails, etc. No trouble finding does by end of season, but only bucks I saw were a dinky 3x and forked horn. Last year I passed small bucks damn near every day in some spots, this year it was crickets. Plenty of bear sign, some in conjunction with drag marks from someone else's deer the day before. Makes a guy pay a little more attention and explains the musky odd smell he'd been catching all morning off and on lol. All in all, time in the woods regardless of punched tags is time well spent. But that being said, I'm expanding my hunting range next year. Maybe in another year or 2 try and head back to AZ for a mulie or another coues. After hunting the wide opens of AZ and eastern MT, this thick as timber is something I'm still working at. Be easier if I weren't too big a puzzy to climb a tree stand.

Still have valid wolf tags, and fingers crossed I'll blow the guts outta one.

MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Holy Smokes! I missed this Coues....Nice job peeshooter!

😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
We had a great season

daughter’s buck
[Linked Image]

my extra doe
[Linked Image]

son’s first deer
[Linked Image]

my buck
[Linked Image]

my cow elk
[Linked Image]

big helpers
[Linked Image]

530 grain Parker Traditional Hunter
[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M

Good to see you back “onboard”......pun intended! We need you to visit more often.....even the “nut house” has those that attempt to keep order! grin memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
We had a very good upland season. This is the end full year for Finn and I together. The partnership is working well.

We started off with an early special sharptail season

followed with pheasants

and then waterfowl

my big game hunting was limited to one trip for an either sex elk draw (write up in the muzzle loader section)

Hugh
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Those photos are just fantastic HughW. Congrats, and thanks for sharing those.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
ALLLLLLLRIGHT Hugh !!!

Congrats on the partnership. There's something special about a dog that likes to please his 'feeder'. You can tell it in
their attitude and body motionS.

I've had Labs, Beagles, & G Sh Pointers. Your post makes my heart warm and tingly. THANKS

Fantastic Pix

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Pretty good season so far. Got to do a DIY Caribou hunt with my son. Was the experience of a lifetime. I definitely understand the appeal of Alaska.

Shot this sow out of the neighbor’s wheat field. I kill every pig I can get crosshairs on and still don’t make a dent in their numbers.

With a 100 yard zero, takes about 1 mil of elevation at 25 yards. 😁

Haven’t shot a deer yet. There’s an older fork horn that I’d like to take out of the gene pool but haven’t seen him in a while.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
So far this year knocked a couple off the bucket list in NZ this past May.

Elk from my October hunt in New Mexico

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Beauty Dan, when I grow up, I want to be you !!

Merry Christmas.

Paul.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Sure some excellent field photo's in this thread. Nice to see people taking the time for clean up of the site and making a good presentation. Great year and congratulations to all.

Hugh
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
nice pictures thank you all ! Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Yup.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Yup.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Only one tag for me this past fall so a pretty light summary. Bagged this 11 days into a 6-day hunt. A bit tough shaking them out this year.

1Minute
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
My boys did pretty well this year.

My younger son with his first archery deer. That's a vintage (60s) Bear Kodiak Magnum bow.

Regards,
Ben
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A more pressing situation curtailed the plans to my 2019 hunting season, but I was able to make it out for several hours opening morning of firearm deer season. Blessing to the doe who brought this buck within range.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Late to the party but with today being the last day of our deer season better late than never. 2019 was a great year for me, decided a couple of years ago to spend less dough and things and spend more time and money on experiences.

Season started with me being a Florida resident. I drew a Feb hog hunt tag for a local WMA. I invited a buddy from Pa down for my guest permit. It turned out to be kind of a road hunt with most successful hunters cruising old logging roads until happening upon one. We tried this and did some swamp bushwhacks but weren't feeling it. My buddy got in touch with a nearby private landowner he knew. Landowners was having issues with hogs...so we were in. First evening sit I smacked this boar with the trusty and exotic .270 w/150 Hot Cor, DRT. Very gracious for the opportunity to hunt a beutiful piece of property.
[Linked Image]

Fast forward to Spring, I was up in Pa working and had a weekend to kill. Got in touch with my pard for turkey hunting and trout fishing. Hit the Game lands friday night for scouting, found a few, but on on the way back spotted a 3-4 birds strutting their stuff in a field near my friends house. We secured permission and went after them the next morning. With only one day to hunt (cant hunt Sundays in PA), we werent going to be picky. I dont have the best hearing so am not the best turkey hunter to begin with. Anyway, we called in these two birds, I smacked one then my buddy dropped the other. Sunday was spent trout fishing with his kids.
[Linked Image]

Spring fun continued with another work-cation to Maine. With another weekend to kill I rented a canoe in Baxter State Park. The Ranger station keeps some canoes chained out on some remote lakes for rental. I backpacked some primitive camping and fishing gear about three miles in a spent the night. Didnt do well fishing but enjoyed the scenery. At least the mosquitoes ate well.
[Linked Image]

After the Maine trip I had a strange turn of events. I completed my second degree at age 39 and we sold our FL home and moved to the mountains of TN. I fulfilled a life long dream of owning some property of my own, We are very happy and smitten, but the move was a ball-buster as they all are. Shortly after moving in we had to fly to Poland for my Sister-in-laws wedding, which we purchased plane tickets for almost a year in advance. I had a great time eating (love their fresh food) and drinking local beer, but also wanted to work some outdoor activities in. We took a side trip planned by the in-laws to the mountain town of Zakopane I convinced my wife, her sister and now husband to hike the Giewont. It was a great all-day hike with beautiful scenery, though a bit crowded. My wife experienced vertigo near the top. It was very reminiscent of my sheep hunting days in AK. I kept looking for Tahr and there was lots of tracks and scat but never spotted any. I was very happy I made a pit stop at a local store for a pair of wool socks, otherwise I would have been blistered badly.

Giewont is the peak on the right.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Part 2 coming up...

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Fast forward to fall. Me and a buddy made plans for an antelope hunt a couple years ago and so finally felt like we had some points to get'er done. We applied as a party and each drew buck tags and individual doe tags. I had only been to Wyoming once before, just driving through on my way to Alaska. I remembered being in awe of all the antelope and always wanted to come back and hunt, very happy I did. The area we had access to is hunted hard, so we opted to go in early October hoping there would be less pressure while being aware there would also be less animals. We were in it more for the hunting of wide open spaces vs seeking a trophy, so though this approach was best. We saw/stalked antelope every day and had a blast. My buddy got his buck first, then I finally patterned a group that kept crossing into our unit in the evening. I found a boulder to hide behind and the plan worked like a charm. Again the boring 270 this time with a 110 TTSX, again DRT...

[Linked Image]

We took one day off from Antelope and spent the day shooting praire dogs. Another first time, had a blast. Learned that shooting in 30-40 mph gust with a 222 is challenging to say the least.

[Linked Image]

Last couple days we were covered in snow. Saw a beautiful Mule Deer buck with his harem, also kicked around in the Medicine Bow for a while. Beautiful country.

[Linked Image]

With the big trip behind us, I started focusing on squirrels with my daughter and chasing whitetails close to home. I missed a nice buck with my bow at the tail end of archery and was pretty bummed. Nonetheless I killed him with my muzzleloader one week later in the same footprints he stood in when I put an arrow over his back.

[Linked Image]

After getting him processed and about 25 lbs of sausage done, I decided to head out again. I decided to only shoot If I encountered a big one. I was in my stand when a big body 8-pt came out limping. His main beam was also busted off after the brow tine. I thought to mself I would love to see who kicked his ass, the noticed a cedar tree shaking violently. I spotted another buck making some rubs so thought there he is, looks tall, bam...As it turned out he was pretty tall but not very wide, a good buck nonetheless, but pretty sure he wasn't the fighter.

[Linked Image]

Plan on heading out in a few to see if I can get one more doe in freezer to last us until next fall. Lots of fun and great memories with friends and family this year. Cant wait to see what this year brings.

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Great pics guys!

MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by TomM1

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Part 2 coming up...

That's some damn beautiful country. Those are both from Poland? I knew a guy who married a girl from Poland. Hunted boar when visiting his in-laws, said it was a great place.

MAGA
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Yes, my wife is Polish. We go about every other year though I’ve yet to do any hunting, just fishing and hiking. Someday I hope to do some boar hunting. We’ll see.

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Sounds like a great year Tom,congrats

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T_Inman

Well I ate my Montana deer tag...I found the right one, but he just wouldn't give me a responsible shot. That's alright.
Since I made this post in Oct, here's a small sampling of what did happen according to plan:

A fair number of pheasants were killed and I called in a wolf that a friend got, but I have no pictures loaded.

B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Whats the story on the headless yote?

MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Blood really isn't thicker than water...

I snared him and he got ripped to shreds. I am not sure if it was while he was alive or not. No other predator tracks around....nothing but other coyote tracks. I assume it was his pack mates, but can't really be sure.

Nature is ruthless at times.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My boy got his first buck, only a doe to report on my end so far. Very slow season but have 2 weeks left to go.

Dont eat the big white mint!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Man he looks happy...lol. Good job!

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I had one of my best hunting seasons ever. Not measured by the success in animals even though that was above average for me but because I got to spend ALLOT of time in the field with my dad and my best hunting buddies. I ended up shooting six hogs, a good 8 point whitetail for the ground we hunt and a 33" Aoudad ram.

Pic with my dad in it.
My dad's buck

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

I also was fortunate to be invited on a south Texas quail hunt behind an incredible group of dogs. I just wish I had taken more pictures of the dogs working.

There were also a couple of nice whitetails taken on that trip by buddies I got to hunt with.

I'm blessed to be living in this great country where I can find work and enjoy the outdoors.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Mohawk, ultra cool.. Outstanding... Thanks..

Molon Labe
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I didn’t kill anything to write home about, but it was good.

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter

+1

Very cool ya got to hang outside w/ yer dad that’s awesome. Great looking aoudad & whitetails; you grind that ram in w/ the hogs?

Congrats!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by efw

+1

Very cool ya got to hang outside w/ yer dad that’s awesome. Great looking aoudad & whitetails; you grind that ram in w/ the hogs?

Congrats!

Thank you sir! I am truly blessed to have been able to spend so much time outdoors with my dad.

I have the Aoudad all boned out and ready to run through the grinder and make sausage. A little of the Feral pork will get mixed with it and also some domestic pork( more fat). We made jerky out of the backstraps of the Ram and it turned out really good. The Aoudad rams have good flavor but the meat is so tough it is really only good to run through the grinder. The Ewe's and the small ones are better eating. Most of my feral pork goes straight on the smoker for pulled pork or into a crockpot for Carnitas. We love the Feral hog meat and when we cook for guests we tell them we are serving "Organic Free Range Pork". Most folks tend to really like it!

That ram yielded allot of meat and will make a bunch of sausage.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by Mohawk
Originally Posted by efw

+1

Congrats!

Thank you sir! I am truly blessed to have been able to spend so much time outdoors with my dad.

I have the Aoudad all boned out and ready to run through the grinder and make sausage. A little of the Feral pork will get mixed with it and also some domestic pork( more fat). We made jerky out of the backstraps of the Ram and it turned out really good. The Aoudad rams have good flavor but the meat is so tough it is really only good to run through the grinder. The Ewe's and the small ones are better eating. Most of my feral pork goes straight on the smoker for pulled pork or into a crockpot for Carnitas. We love the Feral hog meat and when we cook for guests we tell them we are serving "Organic Free Range Pork". Most folks tend to really like it!

Have you made sausage out of an Aoudad before??

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by hanco
Originally Posted by Mohawk
Originally Posted by efw

+1

Congrats!

Have you made sausage out of an Aoudad before??

Hanco,

Yes sir. In my opinion that is about all you can do to the big rams to make them edible unless you really like super tough meat. We use the same recipe for smoked link sausage with the Aoudad as we use with deer or feral pork. We mix it 50/50 with domestic pork, stuff it and smoke it. I have a buddy that makes summer sausage with them that is excellent. I have not tried to make that yet but plan to when time allows.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
That is a good mule deer right there. Bucks like that are hard to come by.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by rickmenefee

That's a whopper

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E

Hate to break it to you but I think you spoiled yer run for the dinkathon.

My word that is something; would love to hear the story! Amazing buck sir!

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by efw

Hate to break it to you but I think you spoiled yer run for the dinkathon.

My word that is something; would love to hear the story! Amazing buck sir!

Could have been one of the biggest hunts of my life. My brother is a game warden / I’m a federal trapper. We have not hunted opening week of deer season together for 25 years. He has always worked much of deer season. He was diagnosed with stage 4 liver and colon cancer last April. He is 45 two young boys. Given 5% chance to live a year. He called in November said let’s hunt mule deer together for a week. I figured it would be are last deer hunt. He had been doing chemo and had indeed went thru a surgery at md Anderson. He has done very well whooping its ass. Last Monday he was told he had 0 cancer cells in his body. We always have been lucky are whole life. Anywho we looked at many bucks over the days. We spotted this one maybe a mile out. We got to 632 and I poked him thru the lungs with a 6.5 bullet. The following week my younger brother came up and they also filled tags. My buck was interesting because of the mass. I’ve never killed one so heavy

Great hunt!

Last edited by rickmenefee; 01/28/20.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Alamosa
[Linked Image]

What do you do with the bands?
Cool trophy?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Grandpa:the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Dad:son you have 2 choices for supper eat or don't eat.
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Looks like I'm late to the party...buts here's my 2019.....not counting varmints...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe
Looks like I'm late to the party...buts here's my 2019.....not counting varmints...

Sika deer?

Hell ya...

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Guess I can throw few oddball ones up too.

Free range Spanish Red Deer and Mouflon:

A case of serious ground shrinkage last May:

Not really "big" game, but the country they live in is spectacular: Golden Trout from a secret unnamed lake:

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Other randomness from 2019:

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Texczech
Originally Posted by Alamosa
[Linked Image]

What do you do with the bands?
Cool trophy?

Most people string them on the lanyards that hold their duck or goose calls. Some goose hunters will have lanyards with a couple dozen or more goose bands.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Cool stuff T,,!! Just great to be young my friend. enjoy!!!!

Molon Labe
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (12344mag, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 66 invisible), 2,074 guests, and 1,178 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,072
Posts18,463,761
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.