Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Both pistols weigh about the same (22oz). Dimensionally remarkably close to the same size, grip a tad fatter on the Taurus.

Taurus: thumb safety, capacity 12+1.

XDs: grip safety, corrosion-resistant finish, proven reliability, capacity 8+1.

Quite a few folks going for the G2c nowadays.

Given a choice of these two, what would you carry and why?

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
FWIW, I have been carrying and shooting an XDs in .45 ACP for several years, now. I tried several striker-fired pistols before settling on the XDs, and I don't anticipate changing anytime soon. If I were in the market for something different, I would look hard at the Sig P 320. Ed Too Many Letters speaks highly of them, and I trust his judgement.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
I have and carry both the G2C and the XDS 45. No reliability issues with either but they haven't had more than a few hundred rounds through them each. The XDS carries better for me since it is slightly thinner but typically I reach for the G2C since it has twice as many rounds available. The only reason I have the XDS is because it is a 45 and the first compact carry gun I purchased. The 9mm is actually slightly heavier due to a thicker barrel. The G2C is a good shooter but I'm not crazy about the manual safety, yet haven't felt the need to permanently disable it.

To directly answer your question since I have both, I would answer neither. If the Sig P365 didn't have the issues that it did when it first came out, I would have never purchased the G2C and gotten it instead. Since the Hellcat is out now and the 365 has the bugs worked out, I just see no downsides to them when compared to the XDS/Shield/other single stack guns. I've actually considered selling the G2C to help fund a Hellcat or 365.

Last edited by UNCCGrad; 10/22/19.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by mudhen
FWIW, I have been carrying and shooting an XDs in .45 ACP for several years, now. I tried several striker-fired pistols before settling on the XDs, and I don't anticipate changing anytime soon. If I were in the market for something different, I would look hard at the Sig P 320. Ed Too Many Letters speaks highly of them, and I trust his judgement.

i have the sig p320 m-17 and basically do like it. the lower frame comes in small, medium, large. availability of 21round mags, and fits my hand well.
negatives according to some, high bore axis.
and a measured trigger pull around 7pounds.
the safety prevents an apex kit being installed for the trigger.
with the 7pound pull, it still has a clean break short reset.
the sig version of combat sights takes some getting use to.
i keep debating about putting a leupold deltapoint pro on it.
think the gooberment paid about 230bucks a piece for them.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks Gentlemen, of the two I believe the SA is the better pistol, I just have to decide how important 12+1 is over 8+1 rounds.

I also had buy a second 8 round magazine pretty quick while they’re still available, I doubt Springfield Arms will continue to carry the single stack 9mm XD much longer.

I’m different in that one of my phobias is feral pigs, I run into them on a fairly regular basis while birding, feral pigs nobody shoots much ergo not really afraid. Only ever had a stand off with one big boar which was enough.

So, I gotta buy some Buffalo Bore 147grain “Outdoorsman” Hardcasts and see how they feed. That’s been my carry load in the woods.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Another load I would recommend is the Underwood 147 grain +p+ FMJ. It is available in 50 round boxes. Should work much the same as a hardcast.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Another load I would recommend is the Underwood 147 grain +p+ FMJ. It is available in 50 round boxes. Should work much the same as a hardcast.

Joel, have you run these out of a G19 or comparable?

If so, curious about results.

Many feral hogs on my hikes, too. But, they typically motor with only 2 legs.. smile

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Birdwatcher, as the barrels of the guns get shorter, you may want to start looking at the 115 grain Xtreme Penetrator rather than the Buffalo Bore 147 grain +P hard cast. I have shot a lot of water jugs and some other stuff with both rounds, and the heavier round starts getting more challenging as the velocity drops off. I could link some videos with a Sig P365 if you wanted, but I have no experience with the guns you are considering.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Of those two I would pick the Sig P365.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I would NEVER bet my life on a product made by Taurus.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

IC B3

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Of those two I would pick the Sig P365.

My choice for sure and certain. Although SA makes some good pistols.

Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

Exactly.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

This.

If I was looking for more than 8 rounds in a package more compact than the Glock 19, I'd look at either the Sig 365 or the new Springfield Hellcat.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

Normally i would agree wholeheartedly with you however my g2c has over 2000 issue free rounds through it including many mixed ammo mags. That being said i really only carry it around the property when doing work....it was $200, not gonna care much if it gets jacked up working. Usually carry an Sp101 357 revolver with 1 JHP followed by hardcast when in the woods other then here at home where coyotes are the biggest 4 legged predator. When going where the 2 legged predators are likely its usually my P365 with a 12rd mag in warmer weather or the g30S in colder weather all stoked to capacity+1 with Federal HST.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I don't know that I would go that far, but I would have a very small, list of Taurus guns that I would trust. The Taurus G2C is one of them at this point. Any gun can fail, but not every one does.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
Birdwatcher, as the barrels of the guns get shorter, you may want to start looking at the 115 grain Xtreme Penetrator rather than the Buffalo Bore 147 grain +P hard cast. I have shot a lot of water jugs and some other stuff with both rounds, and the heavier round starts getting more challenging as the velocity drops off. I could link some videos with a Sig P365 if you wanted, but I have no experience with the guns you are considering.

Thanks for the info, the S&W 3954 single stack 9mm our own Phil famously dropped a grizzly with a few years back had a 3.5” barrel. The more recent compact nines at around 3.1” are about 12% shorter.

One thing I like about BB is their thoroughness in real-world ballistic testing. A 4” Glock 19 launches the 147grain Hardcasts at about 1090 fps whereas a 3” Ruger LC9 hits about 1020 fps.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=388

I’m gonna WAG Phil’s 3.5” barrel at about 1070 fps.

I suppose I should buy a couple of whole pig’s heads at the local Mexican grocery store and do some testing.

The Xtreme Penetrator sure looks interesting, and different. Has it been out long enough to compile a track record yet?

https://www.lehighdefense.com/9mm-luger-115gr-xtreme-penetrator-ammunition

I’m pretty sure if you cared to link those videos they’d be of general interest here.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Tks. It appears that Underwood sells two 147gr flat nose FMJ: a +P at a claimed 1100fps. Same velocity as the BB 147gr Outdoorsman at half the price (20 for $16).

Underwood also apparently carries a +P+ version 147gr flat point FMJ with a claimed 1175fps MV at about the same price as the Outdoorsman (20 for $32).

https://www.underwoodammo.com/colle...uger?page=2&sort_by=price-descending

I have no idea how these three loads compare out of a 3.1” barrel or what powders they use. With the +P+ out of the 3.1” do ya get more bang for the buck or just more flash and bang and about the same ballistics?

Buying ammo sure has gotten complicated.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
The Xtreme Penetrator doesn't offer anything that I can see over a flat point jacketed bullet, other than no lead core. It performs basically as a jacketed solid and offers no expansion. I personally want expansion without jacket separation but not excessive penetration in a carry round. I carry solid copper HP in most all my carry weapons (380, 9mm and 45 ACP) and most of it is Colt brand ammo that I got on sale cheap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaqwQ0OlX50

I wonder how well the 147 gr works in the shorter barrels. Do they tend to perform as FMJ due to not having enough velocity to expand/deform? Is the added flash and recoil worth the effort required to shoot a hot round out of a ultra compact 9mm?

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by local_dirt

Joel, have you run these out of a G19 or comparable?

If so, curious about results.

Many feral hogs on my hikes, too. But, they typically motor with only 2 legs.. smile

I have not, Greg. I was just throwing out an alternative for Birdwatcher. It would be interesting to run some through a chronograph to see the numbers, but in a semi related example, I ran some of their 90 grain +P+ Extreme Defender through a 19, and it averaged 1475 fps. The end label, I believe claimed 1500 or 1550, can't remember which.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Tks. It appears that Underwood sells two 147gr flat nose FMJ: a +P at a claimed 1100fps. Same velocity as the BB 147gr Outdoorsman at half the price (20 for $16).

Underwood also apparently carries a +P+ version 147gr flat point FMJ with a claimed 1175fps MV at about the same price as the Outdoorsman (20 for $32).

https://www.underwoodammo.com/colle...uger?page=2&sort_by=price-descending

I have no idea how these three loads compare out of a 3.1” barrel or what powders they use. With the +P+ out of the 3.1” do ya get more bang for the buck or just more flash and bang and about the same ballistics?

Buying ammo sure has gotten complicated.

Herein lies an opportunity for testing. Water filled milk jugs or soaked newspapers... Myself, I'll take all the speed I can get, as long as accuracy doesn't suffer.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

My Momma's oldest boy is worth more to me, than a Taurus.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

87 members (B52RadarNav, 35, Ashworth, Bigd7378, 11 invisible), 1,419 guests, and 834 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,060
Posts18,463,260
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.