Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
So, I have an opportunity to buy one of these.
It isn't marked as such, but it is marked with a double rifle logo including the letters MAVI which I believe indicates Mavi di Salvinelli and from internet postings it seems to be something sold before the Great Plains Rifle. I have to admit its a handsome rifle, and from what little I've read they are well thought of.

Looks to be unfired, but my questions are about the barrel:
- it has a shallow 12 groove bore. Maybe .006" deep to my ex-toolmakers eye. Basically a giant microgroove barrel and I wonder how that could be good for black powder.
- its a .45, and seems like its a 1:48 twist. I really dont know what bullets it "should" like, but I'm guessing mild PRB loads. I don't know what sort of short conical may be suitable, or effective enough for hunting.

I've never owned a .45 and over the years I've heard some things that make me cautious.

Does anyone have any thoughts or experience to share?
Its very tempting but I don't want to end up chasing my tail trying to find loads....

Work is what you do to finance your real life.....
BP-B2

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
No .45 shooters around...?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a Green Mountain .45 in a T/C Hawken stock, 1/48. Shoots PRB's really, really well. Rifling is probably deeper than what you are looking at.

I shoot a .440, .018 pillow ticking patch and 50 grains Grafs 3F. That was the sweet spot. It did not do well with .015 patches, .440 or .445's.

Shallow rifling on yours, I would be inclined to start with a thin patch and work up in thickness if needed.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Thanks for the info Hawk Driver

Just picked up some .440 RB this afternoon, will either lube up an old T shirt or maybe buy some prelubed patches.
I should be able to get a little range time next weekend, and I'll start with 50 grains of the RS I have open and work my way up.

I also picked up a small hand full of Hornady 180 grain & 200 grain .40 cal XTP pre-pack's with tan sabots.
Evidently they had been an eyesore for a while as the store "made me an offer I couldn't refuse", so I'm going to give them a try as well.

Just.pulled out my Black Powder box. Forgot how Heavy that thing is. hope I don't pull something carrying it over to the firing line.... lol

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I love old pure cotton T-shirts for cleaning patches, but have seldom had much luck using them for ball patching. They work, but I can almost always get better accuracy with a tighter weave fabric. If you have a fabric store in your area, get yourself there and buy a half yard each of two different thicknesses of pocket drill.

My wife says I'm totally nuts, but I think I'm Semisane.
IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
I should be able to track one down.
Might even find some actual pillow ticking...

Thanks for the tip semisane!

Last edited by kragman1; 10/21/19.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have a TC Seneca in .45 with a 1-48" twist. The Seneca is a lighter gun, won't take some of the heavy loads a full size Hawken / etc will handle, but even at that, my gun likes reduced loads. I generally shoot .440 round balls with pre-lubed patches and 65 grains of Goex FFg -or- home cast, pan-lubed (SPG) Lyman / TC maxi-balls with 70 grains of Goex FFg. I've shot the PRB up to 90 grains and the conical to 80, book max for both, and accuracy is considerably worse. The conical load pretty well matches a heavy .44 magnum load from a revolver ... 245 grain bullet at about 1400 fps. The gun is light enough to bruise you a little after only 2-3 shots with the conical load. Brass buttplate does not compress much so your shoulder has to.

I've got some saboted bullets I was thinking of using for coyote / cougar in the winter where there are no restrictions on what sort of projectile I use but I haven't gotten around to testing them.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
With the shallow rifling, and the 1/48 you may be looking at a maxiball. PRB usually have groves to 0.016 to hold the patch. The 1/48 with shallow rifling was a do anything barrel, but probably good for maxi balls barrel. At least that was the TC mantra.

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/129/1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Pillow ticking available at any fabric store, eve wally world sewing department.
1/2 yard will last a LONG time.
Wash it for best results

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by LouisB
Pillow ticking available at any fabric store, eve wally world sewing department.
1/2 yard will last a LONG time.
Wash it for best results

Thats good info, thx!

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I got to thinking about it, my GM .45 barrel is 1-60. Its the GM .32 that is 1-48".

1-48 will shoot a PRB, just gonna take some tinkering. I have a .54 1-48 that shoots great with a PRB.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In theory, smaller calibers require a faster twist than larger ones, so the twist shouldn't be a problem, but as mentioned above, getting a good fit with your ball and patch might take some doing. I've found that "rules" can be pretty pretty flexible when dealing with MLs, like sabotted bullets shooting pretty well in 1-48" barrels where supposedly they shouldn't. Won't cost much to try.

You may find .45 maxi-balls around, but stuff other than .50 cal is scarce in stores. The Lee REAL bullet is another popular slug, but you'll have to cast those yourself most likely. Your sabots may do just fine, but I'd prefer Barnes all-copper bullets for serious work myself.

Good luck!

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here is a link to some closeout pricing on TC Maxi Ball and Maxi Hunter.
they have both .45 and .54. Shipping is reasonable too.

http://www.deercreekproducts.net/st...JthwtsiNt8ZMWnJ0P1bl1MGuTXiaxxNlWM4VC8UE

Last edited by lazydrifter; 10/22/19.
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Thank you for the link!

Ive been poking around looking for odd .45 muzzleloader stuff. Today I found -

another box of Hornady .40 cal 200 grain XTP sabots
A box of Hornady 38 cal 180 grain XTB sabots
A pkg of 45 cal 195 grain power belts
A pkg of TC quick loaders

I wouldn't have bought the power belts but I ended up buying the list for $20 so ill give them a swing.

The Maxi Hunters are what I assume I want, so ill probably be ordering some of those.

Thanks again!

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I always shot minnie balls in my 45 T/C Hawken. Very accurate and very effective.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
L
L
@kragman1

Any chance you could post some pictures of that gun?

I didn't really say all that stuff......Confucius
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Ill snap a couple tonight and post em.
Ill try to get a decent pic of the muzzle end of the bore too. Tricky with a cell phone.

L
L
Looking forward to the pics

I didn't really say all that stuff......Confucius
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
For Longcruise and anyone interested...

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/14224651#Post14224651

Also, got a better look at the rifling tonight. Grooves look deeper than .006". If I get a chance I'll measure them - I'd like to factually know.

Last edited by kragman1; 10/23/19.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ha ha, I posted the reply below to your picture link. Anyway I am cutting and pasting it below.

I like shooting patch round ball. Here in PA we have flintlock only season for 3 weeks after Christmas, so I hunted that all my life. A tip that I can pass on about PRB shooting: is that some things work, and other things don't. There are general rules, but some barrels don't follow the rules. Anyway I find the right patch is a big player is getting a rifle to shoot well. I only use pre cut, pre lubed ox yoke patches. You can buy specific thickness and see what works the best in a methodical fashion. No guess work. Then write down that combo and stick with it.
I find moderate loads to be the best shooting. Too much powder seems to have inconsistent burning. I also seem to have better luck with 2F than 3F, but I only shoot 54 caliber.
Usually shooting sabots in an old school side lock builds up plastic in the rifling pretty quick. That buildup can really ruin accuracy. Maxiball seems to be a less frustrating pathway if you can't get a PRB load.
I also found a semi damp patch between loads help keep the bore consistent.
Anyway with a flintlock and black powder there are plenty of things you can screw up and provide much frustration. So keep notes and keep consistent.

https://rmcoxyoke.com/

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
107 members (160user, 35, 6mmbrfan, 10Glocks, 308ld, 338reddog, 15 invisible), 1,723 guests, and 767 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,776
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.