Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Asking because my son really wants to go there. If you're a graduate of 'MINES", I'd appreciate reading your pro and con comments.

He has been accepted into the engineering programs at seven schools and is waiting to hear from Colorado, Colorado School of Mines, Illinois, and Purdue..

GB1

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Not a graduate, but I have relatives who are and have worked with people from Mines.

Great school, one of the two best schools in our state, and one of the best educational values in this country.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 10/23/19.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
My cousins son graduated last year. Top notch education & school!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don’t know if you are aware of it, but pretty “close” to you here in my town, is Dordt University, a small (~ 1300-1500 enrollment), private, liberal arts college, highly rated overall, but with a very strong engineering undergraduate program (B.S.). Strong academics overall.

It is closely associated with the Christian Reformed denomination of the U.S. and Canada but has international and a divergent student body:

Only mention it as it’s high quality and not knowing if your son has pretty much chosen a school yet.

https://www.dordt.edu/academics/undergraduate-programs/4-year-programs/engineering

Last edited by George_De_Vries_3rd; 10/23/19.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm pushing for K-State 'cause it would be almost free with the in-state tuition and the scholarships that they've offered.

We discovered that if a parent had ever been stationed in Kansas, K-State offers in-state tuition for the service member's children. Fort Leavenworth, Fort Riley, and McConnell AFB are large installation that have a lot of people passing through them at all times.

IC B2

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I'm pushing for K-State 'cause it would be almost free with the in-state tuition and the scholarships that they've offered.

We discovered that if a parent had ever been stationed in Kansas, K-State offers in-state tuition for the service member's children. Fort Leavenworth, Fort Riley, and McConnell AFB are large installation that have a lot of people passing through them at all times.

If two resumes hit my desk, one from Mines, the other from K-State, I know which one goes on the top of the pile, and which one goes someplace in the bottom half....

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

If two resumes hit my desk, one from Mines, the other from K-State, I know which one goes on the top of the pile, and which one goes someplace in the bottom half....

Don't undestand that at all. I have friends that graduated both schools. Each is highly regarded.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
My wife and I graduated from CU, but we sent two of our children to Mines. One graduated Chemical Engineering, and the other Petroleum Engineering. A long history of Mines graduates on their mother's side.

Great school! Your son can't go wrong by going to Mines if he wants to pursue a career in engineering. IMHO.

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Don't get ,me wrong, I'd like to see him get accepted at CSM 'cause it is sort of the engineering equivalent of an ivy league college. That said, the academic requirements for an engineering degree seem to be about the same across the board.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Which one goes where in the pile?

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My oldest son is currently attending Mines for mechanical engineering, he's in his last year. Great school, lots of smart kids and top notch teachers.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
It be a great school to have a degree from!

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Had an intern from Mines this year. Very impressive

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I have worked with numerous grads from there, it sure seems like a good outfit. Another option and a great school for mines is Michigan Tech in Houghton Michigan. I have worked with a boat load of those grads also, its a top notch school.

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
My son got his ME here in state in Oklahoma. In talking with him, Mines is highly regarded. Not unlike MIT for math. I do have a colleague who's son is graduating Mines this year with a computer engineering degree. Nothing but positive things to say from either of them (father and son).

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
He wants to go to a school that isn't over a one day drive from Omaha, so Michigan Tech is a little too far.

One of my best friends went to school in Houghton and travels all over the World accessing potential battlefields for wheeled and tracked vehicle mobility. If you know where the vehicles can't go, you can focus your combat power where they can go.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
It's a top-notch school. I've worked with graduates from there. All top-notch.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Yes, I too have a good friend graduated from Mines. He's married to my brothers SIL and living next door out in Twin Lakes and about to retire.

Sharp guy.

What strikes me is everyone here knows someone, but no one is one. Hmmmmm. smile

Last edited by las; 10/24/19.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Oops, Thought at first you said "mimes". Carry on....

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

Dad is SO proud!!!

Last edited by kenjs1; 10/24/19.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (1minute, 1moredeer, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1234, 1OntarioJim, 58 invisible), 2,118 guests, and 1,097 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,108
Posts18,464,257
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.