Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by tzone

Pretty much what it would be used for. Mount a scope, sight it in, practice a bit with it...leave it.

You just described a Tikka T3.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Trystan

They have a good barrel and that's where it ends IME! My brother picked one up and it didn't feed for [bleep], needed bedded/most Brownings come bedded not the AB3. Also worked on the trigger. I didn't bed the tang because the trigger mechanics are all in that area and there just isn't room IMO.

In the end after bedding the recoil lug area, working on the trigger, and grinding and polishing the feed ramp we got the rifle from 1 1/2" groups at 100 yds to 3" 3 shot groups at 500 yds. Like I said great barrel and the rest needs work! I personally wouldn't want one but probably because I'm used to Tikka's where it all works very well right out of the box

Trystan

You and I have different experiences with the Tikka. You don't like plastic mags but you like the tikka? Or you just don't like the browning plastic mag? All the one's I've seen were display models so the mag was not in the gun.

I didn't say I don't like plastic mags. I said I didn't like the way the Browning AB3 feeds but that is due to the feed ramp needing work not the plastic mag.

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

They have a good barrel and that's where it ends IME! My brother picked one up and it didn't feed for [bleep], needed bedded/most Brownings come bedded not the AB3. Also worked on the trigger. I didn't bed the tang because the trigger mechanics are all in that area and there just isn't room IMO.

In the end after bedding the recoil lug area, working on the trigger, and grinding and polishing the feed ramp we got the rifle from 1 1/2" groups at 100 yds to 3" 3 shot groups at 500 yds. Like I said great barrel and the rest needs work! I personally wouldn't want one but probably because I'm used to Tikka's where it all works very well right out of the box

Trystan

You and I have different experiences with the Tikka. You don't like plastic mags but you like the tikka? Or you just don't like the browning plastic mag? All the one's I've seen were display models so the mag was not in the gun.

I didn't say I don't like plastic mags. I said I didn't like the way the Browning AB3 feeds but that is due to the feed ramp needing work not the plastic mag.

Originally Posted by Frankk
Trystan,
What did you do to your trigger?
Did you get one of those spring kits for a lighter pull? I got one of those myself and I’m still trying to decide if it helped.
Frank

I polished the sear down to get rid of some creep and and smooth it up a bit more.

Last edited by Trystan; 10/24/19.

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Trystan

Lol...breathe dude. I wasn't accusing you. I was asking you if you just didn't like the browning mags.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Trystan

Lol...breathe dude. I wasn't accusing you. I was asking you if you just didn't like the browning mags.

Lol, I didn't mean to come off as defensive. I do like the tikka mag better because it's a single stack mag and they feed better than the AB3's double stack mag. Other Brownings such as the Hells Canyon have a single stack mag design and feed much better than the AB3 as well.

I've never had a problem with a mag being plastic or metal though I actually prefer plastic. I've never had a plastic mag break and they form a lot less condensation when moving from freezing to warm truck temps. Also plastic is lighter and if it holds up light is good IMO

IC B2

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
My lovely wife gave me a Boyds “At-One” stock for Yaksmas. I had no idea that Boyds made a stock for Browning ab3.

So I just got done bedding it with homemade steel pillars and gray Marine Tex epoxy on front and back. I just now got done separating this bedded stock from the action for first time. It looks good.

Challenge with bedding a Browning ab3 is that you need to keep trigger in place when bedding rear tang because it’s mount sits between action and stock where bedding needs to go. I wrapped trigger mechanism thoroughly with masking tape and had no problem.

Wish me luck when I get around to shooting it.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
My cousin has 2 ab3 rifles, one in 06 and another in 7mmremmag. He doesn't know how to tinker with a rifle and is too tight to pay a gunsmith. Both of his ab3's went from box to bench for scope mounting, then to the field. To my knowledge he's never done a thing to them. He's killed at least 20 elk and many, many deer. They just work. I'd not hesitate.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

730 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 75 invisible), 3,291 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,269
Posts18,467,332
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.