Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#14225072 10/23/19
vapodog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I just had a four foot diameter ash log sawed in Minnesota. I grew up with that tree....it was large when I can first remember it as a young kid.

I've decided it needs at least one gunstock made from it and had two nice blanks sawed....sorry, no pics.....

Since I've never used ash for this before, I'm asking for any advice you folks can offer....yes....I know it's fairly dense and therefore heavy...what's your advice?

GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Not so different in density from maple or birch.

Be not weary in well doing.
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Plenty of traditional muzzleloaders have been stocked with ash. Is the wood properly dried and ready to be worked or is it recently cut? Do you want to do the work yourself or have someone else do it? If you're wanting a project I recommend going with Custom Rifle Stocks in Aaronsburg, PA.

Like you, I had a piece of wood from a sugar maple on my aunt and uncle's place, a tree we'd all walk by every time we went hunting. An ice storm took it down and I eventually had CRS profile me out a stock set for a Ruger No. 3 project. I'm in the home stretch with it now and its been very satisfying.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I have used ash for a few home projects. I think it would make a fine stock, please follow up with some picks of the finished stock if you decide to do it.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I wonder what the wood drying time is compared to Maple or Walnut...Isn't it usually measured in years?...Many years...

IC B2

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Without being kiln dried, wood will cure about an inch per year, if stored in good conditions.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
We used a lot of ash trim in the house. A lot of nice grain. Should look good on a rifle. I'll second pabucktail's recommendation for Custom Rilfe Stocks. If they don't have a pattern you like, they'll duplicate yours.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
vapodog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I will have this kiln dried to 6% and then routed by Dennis Olson of Plains Montana. He has done many for me and I've always been happy with his work.

I will take the blanks to the Amish in Augusta Wisconsin for the kiln drying and suspect that will be about March before I can have a blank routed.

That's about the time to go salmon fishing on Lake Superior.

I've done a few customs before including my own checkering so now the thing I need to do is to find an action to put in it....let me see if I can find some photos

vapodog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Here is a Maple stock I built for a Howa 1500

[Linked Image from image.ibb.co]

[Linked Image from image.ibb.co] [/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Dang! You've got skills! That's pretty.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Really interesting stock, the first spalted one I have seen. Lots of guitars but unusual on a rifle stock. I like a light suigi or flame finish on ash axes and baseball bats. If done very subtlety it enhances the grain and color. Overdone it looks cheap. Ash responds well to potassium permanganate too, same thing as the flame needs to be very subtle or it looks bad. It is easy to sand back to almost bare wood.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Nice work Vapodog! How easily does maple checker compared to walnut? How many LPI is that stock? I've never done any checkering but plan to get some tools and have a go at it.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Not Vapo but if anything it takes checkering even better than Walnut. It is harder but more homogeneous. The birdseye or fiddleback figure can be more difficult but no more so than walnut burl.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
vapodog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
here is a photo of three ash stocks that were kiln dried in Wisconsin
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

vapodog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
the photos don't do the wood justice. One is being routed in Montana now. I'll post a photo when it arrives.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I would be tempted to do a very light stain more of a wash coat to increase the contrast, but the grain is so nice on those already maybe oil alone will make them pop, then what ever is your finish of choice. Might be worth testing on the scrap wood. Oil, diluted spirit stain and finish only. I would also look at some muzzle loaders for comparison. Some of these were treated with Aquavit, Iron Oxide and vinegar, Potassium permanganate and flame finishes.

I hope you saved some of the straighter grain wood for axe handles or other tool handles. The lower two I can picture the stock already, the upper one doesn't have as obvious a layout on it.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
We still have some ash pole corral at the family farm, and I cut some for repairs and for gatesticks in barbed wire gates every few years. When green, it is very supple. A green gatestick will bow into a C shape in a short time under tension. An ash gatestick allowed to season for two or three years is strong, won't bow, and lasts forever.

In corral poles, they are best installed green. They season over the decades to as hard as iron! A 50 year old ash pole needs to be drilled for the spike to hold it to a post if you need to reinstall it. They get a little brittle then, occasionally break at the thin end. .

I know you asked about gunstocks, but from this experience I would say that a good piece of ash, dried properly, would make a fine stock. I would not make the wrist too thin, though.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by vapodog
Here is a Maple stock I built for a Howa 1500

[/QUOTE][/quote]

This is the first modern type rifle I've seen with a Spalted Maple stock. Nice!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ash is of course a particularly open grained "ring-porous hardwood" so you will have a bigger job getting the grain filled smooth than you would with typical walnut. But if you can get a quarter-sawn piece out of your log it should make a stable, rock-hard, stock. Might not take very fine checkering though. Please update if you proceed.
cheers,
Rex

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
fissile...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

85 members (14idaho, 35, 280shooter, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 300_savage, 7 invisible), 1,552 guests, and 701 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,519
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.