Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I like to carry foam pipe insulation for a rest, but this works best in a stand. For a bag either vermiculite from the garden center or the spill clean up stuff from the auto parts places. These can be mixed with foam to go even lighter but I like the firmness of the granular fill.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Tejano
I like to carry foam pipe insulation for a rest, but this works best in a stand. For a bag either vermiculite from the garden center or the spill clean up stuff from the auto parts places. These can be mixed with foam to go even lighter but I like the firmness of the granular fill.

I like that foam pipe insulation idea! Good idea.

""Mute the Greeniacs. Open the pipeline. Bury the Russians." - JPR - 2022
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by erich
I used to haul plastic injection molding beads. They would be perfect. I use rice, I've had the same rice in for over 30 yrs and I lived in the PNW most of the time.

I use rice too, also here in the PNW; the damp doesn't seem to be a problem. I like rice for a range bag because it's dense and packs down firmly.

For a field bag where you want light weight some sort of plastic beads or BBs seems like the ticket, but personally in the field I've always ended up improvising with my fist and a folded coat or whatever is handy, even a pile of dirt, for the rear support and use a bipod on the front. Not the best shooting solution, but I don't like to carry extra stuff so that works for me.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The plastic BBs are the best for lightweight non-moisture filling.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by SnowyMountaineer
I made a couple using micro-bead poly fill from a craft store. I've since switched to this, which ain't cheap but it's light and bombproof: SAP Lightweight Bag

SM - do you use that for a front or rear bag?

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
So I filled the bag with Airsoft BB's and it weighed about 3lbs 9oz. That was more than I wanted to carry so I got some lightweight kitty litter. It weighs 2lbs 6 oz with the kitty litter.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wow! What rear bag are you using? That seems pretty heavy!

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Ths one from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/TufForce-Shooting-Brick-Pistol-TL-SB03F/dp/B004I4D2WW/ref=sr_1_15?crid=3BLCWNK4UQ05C&dchild=1&keywords=shooting+rest+bag&psc=1&qid=1573047298&sprefix=shooting+rest%2Caps%2C1087&sr=8-15

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
So I filled the bag with Airsoft BB's and it weighed about 3lbs 9oz. That was more than I wanted to carry so I got some lightweight kitty litter. It weighs 2lbs 6 oz with the kitty litter.

What weight airsoft bbs did you use? They come in different weights, measured in grams. You can probably double (or halve, depending what you used) that weight by using different BBs.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Yondering

What weight airsoft bbs did you use? They come in different weights, measured in grams. You can probably double (or halve, depending what you used) that weight by using different BBs.

I used the .12gram ones which were the lightest I could find.

Jack O'Connor
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Buy a foam pool noodle for a dollar and cut it into little pieces.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by Yondering

I used the .12gram ones which were the lightest I could find.

Interesting. I was guessing maybe you used the .20 gram or heavier for the bag to weigh that much. It must hold a lot.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

499 members (17CalFan, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 1lesfox, 10ring1, 41 invisible), 1,779 guests, and 1,032 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,180
Posts18,465,629
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.