Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 12 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Bristoe

Sorry, Marlin has called that design so many model numbers, I lost count. One plus is that there are many you tube vids to address problems with the model, & how to fix them.

GB1

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by gunzo

Sorry, Marlin has called that design so many model numbers, I lost count. One plus is that there are many you tube vids to address problems with the model, & how to fix them.

Most of them are posted by people who don't know that .22 rifles need to be cleaned.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
110 round drum magazine.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Apparently this was a serious 22 semi auto rifle for home defense thread.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Never was impressed w HV HP .22lr on chucks.
.22 mag way better.
The old Remington Yellowjackets worked OK.

I figure a bump in the night,....badbguy proly gonna not sit still or be well illuminated. Not gonna rack a fuggin slide on anything. Not going to engage a possible threat without my stuff ready to go.

If i gotta pop em its gonna be a few through the chest.

Not with .22lr either.

IC B2

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Think it just foolish to pick a .22lr for self defense.
It crippled up or only owning one gun.....so be it.
Better than throwing rocks.

But to argue the .22 as something good?

Damn, how fuggun hard is it to shoot a centerfire decent?
My pos uaw Colt 1911 chews the x out at 50 ft

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
For those of you who think a semi auto .22 is inadequate,....you might want to look into a SAM 180.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
He probably shoots the star out every time.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by hookeye
Think it just foolish to pick a .22lr for self defense.
It crippled up or only owning one gun.....so be it.
Better than throwing rocks.

But to argue the .22 as something good?

Damn, how fuggun hard is it to shoot a centerfire decent?
My pos uaw Colt 1911 chews the x out at 50 ft

I bet a freckle faced 10 year old could shoot a .22 rifle better than you can shoot a .45 government model.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

Most of them are posted by people who don't know that .22 rifles need to be cleaned.

I apologize for dissing your choice of arms, but as one who has taken a truck load, only a pick up, but an actual truck load of this basic model & worked two straight weeks of repair, rebuild, & taking 2 or 3 to make one, then test firing all of them to confirm their sell ability, I'll stand by my "opinion".

I've forgotten the particulars, but the experience is burned deeply. Trust me on this, move up if serious about using one for important things.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Curious to figure find you wankers discussing terminal performance in this context. My experience with pigs is consistent with observations above. I tried HV, HP shorts and LR loads and went back to CB shorts, simply because they track in a straight line thru bones, meat and brains. The others seem to be using a Tim Leary roadmap. Yeah, they died and I got to rummage thru the goop, but such things do not inspire me. I own no HV or HP rimfire ammo at present and haven't for quite awhile.

CB Shorts on hogs?? I hit a cottontail solid in the chest with one and he jumped straight up into the air (several feet high), did a flip in mid air, landed on his feet, and took off running. I found him in the deep brush, and finished him off. But a hog???

Don't think I stuttered. I do CNS shots only at ranges of 10-25 yards typically. Frontal in the brain or thru the cervical vertebra on broadsides for pigs under ~125#. Over 100 dead pigs, 1 took a second shot. The bullets will exit on the neck shots every time, so I guess they overpenetrate?

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B

I apologize for dissing your choice of arms, but as one who has taken a truck load, only a pick up, but an actual truck load of this basic model & worked two straight weeks of repair, rebuild, & taking 2 or 3 to make one, then test firing all of them to confirm their sell ability, I'll stand by my "opinion".

I've forgotten the particulars, but the experience is burned deeply. Trust me on this, move up if serious about using one for important things.

What was the problem with them.

They're a Marlin model 60 with a magazine fed action.

So far,...mine has been like the eveready rabbit.

What's the problem with them?

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
795 is my barn gun. Just checked it the other day for mud dobbers in the barrel and Rem-oiled it. Can is right on my workbench, by the rack, specifically for this purpose.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

You know, a bit of blue tape over the muzzle will keep the mud daubers at bay. grin

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
No doubt that any gun is better than none, or that if a .22 rifle is the only thing you can use effectively that it is what you should use. But it is a huge stretch of the imagination to try to rationalize it as a good choice, or a novel one. My wife is on medicare and has arthritis in both thumbs yet can do a sub 3 second Bill Drill w/ her Glock 19 on demand, and carry it wherever she chooses. All it takes is will and effort.

The easiest way is rarely the best way to solve most problems. Anyone who takes self defense seriously carries a useful weapon at all times. Concealing that rifle is problematic.

YMMV

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Another nice thing about Marlin 60 family - they're less finicky cycling light loads than other semi-auto rimfire actions.

abusus non tollit usum
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Winchester is making a 40g HP at Velocitor velocities at half the cost. 1425 fps if I remember right.

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by lvmiker
No doubt that any gun is better than none, or that if a .22 rifle is the only thing you can use effectively that it is what you should use. But it is a huge stretch of the imagination to try to rationalize it as a good choice, or a novel one. My wife is on medicare and has arthritis in both thumbs yet can do a sub 3 second Bill Drill w/ her Glock 19 on demand, and carry it wherever she chooses. All it takes is will and effort.

The easiest way is rarely the best way to solve most problems. Anyone who takes self defense seriously carries a useful weapon at all times. Concealing that rifle is problematic.

YMMV

mike r

So,..you've been in a lot of gunfights?

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

If yours is working well then then yours has no problem. So I'll answer a question with one, how many rounds has yours proven itself with. No. I'm not indicating a 50K torture test but the format just doesn't have a good track record. Multitudes of problems arise with most, not all, but the odds are against it.

Heck, the thing might be the best ATV or barn rifle there is on the market for the money, but the subject, & my comments dwell on the use of the gun for self defense in that there are much better choices.

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B

If yours is working well then then yours has no problem. So I'll answer a question with one, how many rounds has yours proven itself with. No. I'm not indicating a 50K torture test but the format just doesn't have a good track record. Multitudes of problems arise with most, not all, but the odds are against it.

Heck, the thing might be the best ATV or barn rifle there is on the market for the money, but the subject, & my comments dwell on the use of the gun for self defense in that there are much better choices.

I just want to know if there's a problem with them that I should be aware of.

I stick a full mag in mine then drop the bolt and it doesn't seem like there's any resistance at all. I've shot several types of cheap ass, Walmart bulk ammo through it and have hardly experienced a bobble. One, actually. The first round out of a magazine failed to feed once. That's it.

If there's problems waiting down the line I'd be happy to hear about it so I could address them.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

I just want to know if there's a problem with them that I should be aware of.

I stick a full mag in mine then drop the bolt and it doesn't seem like there's any resistance at all. I've shot several types of cheap ass, Walmart bulk ammo through it and have hardly experienced a bobble. One, actually. The first round out of a magazine failed to feed once. That's it.

If there's problems waiting down the line I'd be happy to hear about it so I could address them.

Legitimate questions that I can only say, in the history of the gun it's not if but when. Problems may have some specifics but are generally random, a Yugo type of thing. Sure that goes with any mechanical device, sooner or later. OK , terms we might both relate, would ya rather have a same condition Bridgeport or a Chevaliere?

Page 6 of 12 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 19rabbit52, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 51 invisible), 2,036 guests, and 1,097 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,087
Posts18,463,935
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.