Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
😂

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by las
Yes, I too have a good friend graduated from Mines. He's married to my brothers SIL and living next door out in Twin Lakes and about to retire.

Sharp guy.

What strikes me is everyone here knows someone, but no one is one. Hmmmmm. smile

I wonder why?

From their website for entering students:
Average SAT Critical Reading and Math 1380
Average ACT Composite 31
Average GPA 3.8/4.0

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
He scored a 33 on his ACT, so that might help.

He has an unweighted 4.0 GPA and a weighted GPA above 4.0 because of the extra, 5th, point that can be earned in AP classes.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I work on and off with two young grads from the School of Mines. Both of them are pretty sharp and say they really liked going to school up in Golden.

No brains, no headaches...
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kenjs1
[Linked Image]

Dad is SO proud!!!

lolololol

IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Another great "mines" college is the South Dakota School of Mines and Technology.

If your son wants to be in the engineering fields, the "mines" schools are at the top of the list for getting good jobs. No way I would send my child to a "state u" instead unless it was on an athletic scholarship.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by las
Yes, I too have a good friend graduated from Mines. He's married to my brothers SIL and living next door out in Twin Lakes and about to retire.

Sharp guy.

What strikes me is everyone here knows someone, but no one is one. Hmmmmm. smile

I wonder why?

From their website for entering students:
Average SAT Critical Reading and Math 1380
Average ACT Composite 31
Average GPA 3.8/4.0

What are you Incinerating? 😆

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Another great "mines" college is the South Dakota School of Mines and Technology.

If your son wants to be in the engineering fields, the "mines" schools are at the top of the list for getting good jobs. No way I would send my child to a "state u" instead unless it was on an athletic scholarship.

We visited SDSM, but he didn't care for Rapid City, so he opted not to apply. They are recruiting him, but I don't think that he has any interest in going to school in SD.

He could go to K-State for almost no out of pocket expenses on merit based scholarships or he could go toe Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas, Missouri S&T , or Nebraska for less than $20K per year out of pocket. I'm not going to think about funding college at CSM, Colorado, Illinois, or Purdue until they actually accept him into their engineering program.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer

We visited SDSM, but he didn't care for Rapid City, so he opted not to apply. They are recruiting him, but I don't think that he has any interest in going to school in SD.

He could go to K-State for almost no out of pocket expenses on merit based scholarships or he could go toe Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas, Missouri S&T , or Nebraska for less than $20K per year out of pocket. I'm not going to think about funding college at CSM, Colorado, Illinois, or Purdue until they actually accept him into their engineering program.

Id say do to KSU. And, for God's sake, don't let him be a Jayhawk!!

KSU is no academic slouch, and the bigger factor for post-grad work or employment is how hard he works and his grades. Come out with no debt is HUGE.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I don’t post much but am a CSM alumni. Starting from the baseline that engineering school is tough curriculum at any university, CSM is tilted toward the extreme end of the difficulty spectrum. That’s from my experience as a student and also being involved In recruiting and hiring talent from a number of university’s. Does the your son have an idea of which engineering disciple he wants to pursue? If your son is interested in discussing this in detail send me a PM and we can set up further discussion.

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I worked with a few School of Mines engineers and they were top notch. But I could say that about a bunch of engineering schools. McNeese State in Lake Charles may not be so highly regarded, but I worked in Louisiana for a few years and came to feel the same about them. Over the course of my engineering career I came pretty much to the conclusion that if a young person wants to get a quality education he can get it at just about any accredited school.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
He wants to go to a school that isn't over a one day drive from Omaha, so Michigan Tech is a little too far.

A youngster like that? Sounds like a good warmup roadtrip. laugh

Last edited by UPhiker; 04/28/20.
MAC Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I didn't go there, I went the Navy route instead but Golden CO is where I was born. I know several people that went there including a cousin. Top notch school. There is a reason it is regarded as highly as it is. One of my cousins got a mechanical engineering degree there and he is now a VP for Treetop Apple Juice.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
My nephew is a Professional Mechanical Engineer with a big international firm located in Denver, he also does the new hires. I asked him if he had to do many days on the road for career days recruiting prospects. He said No ,I spend 2 days a year getting everyone I need, I said Colorado School of Mines ? he laughed and said I only hire from SDSM&T they are the best prepared graduates in the country. You asked for imput you got it. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
SD Mines does an impressive job, especially for being the Second Best Engineering School in South Dakota. #GoJacks

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
My nephew is a Professional Mechanical Engineer with a big international firm located in Denver, he also does the new hires. I asked him if he had to do many days on the road for career days recruiting prospects. He said No ,I spend 2 days a year getting everyone I need, I said Colorado School of Mines ? he laughed and said I only hire from SDSM&T they are the best prepared graduates in the country. You asked for imput you got it. MB

Where did your nephew go?

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

Colorado School of Mines is the # 1 engineering school in the U.S. Georgia Tech is # 2, My Granddaughter chose Georgia Tech. Bio-Engineering, because of the National Swimming and Diving Center, she is a big time diver, and a 4.0 student, and she is from Colorado.

Rio7

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

If two resumes hit my desk, one from Mines, the other from K-State, I know which one goes on the top of the pile, and which one goes someplace in the bottom half....

Wouldn’t make any difference to me unless it was a new grad looking for their first job. Then, maybe school would matter, and in some cases the first job can set the career trajectory.

When I review resumes for experienced engineers I don’t care what school they went to. I’m looking at experience, qualifications, drive, work history and expectations. 100 employee consulting firm, other outfits see it different I’m sure.

Personally I’d send my kid to the in-state ABET accredited option or nearly free out of state with scholarships.

Sean
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by RIO7

Colorado School of Mines is the # 1 engineering school in the U.S. Georgia Tech is # 2, My Granddaughter chose Georgia Tech. Bio-Engineering, because of the National Swimming and Diving Center, she is a big time diver, and a 4.0 student, and she is from Colorado.

Rio7

Does MIT know this?

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Interesting, US News & W.R. has CSoM ranked at #46 in the nation for undergrad engineering and #59 for graduate engineering. MIT is #1.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (10gaugemag, 1moredeer, 17CalFan, 163bc, 10Glocks, 51 invisible), 2,306 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,233
Posts18,466,695
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.