24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have picked up a few used 1100s in various gauges, and invariably they needed a good cleaning. But, I don't really shoot them enough to get them very dirty again; Some folks look as if they go a couple of decades and 1,000s of rounds between cleaning their autos but I am not one of them.

BP-B2

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by kid0917
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Once I decided on the switch I purchased three 1100’s well broken in. And, an NIB 1965 Browning Auto 5, Light Twelve.

Man, you don't play around!
I like that, in a gun owner/buyer.

smile

As Winston Churchill said, “Seldom in doubt.”

Knew I had an Auto 5 available to me.So, I bought the 1100’s to assess them.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
I always swore that if I ever did own a semi-auto, it would be an Auto 5. When I found myself in the market a couple of years ago the NIB 65 model fell into my lap. I could have purchased a Sweet Sixteen, still can, but I prefer all my shotguns to be 12 ga.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Girsan MC312.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Many years ago, as a young man, I used to enjoy the likes of Trap and Skeet, long before "Sporting Clay's" was someone's dream. I've seen and handled many fine smoothbore's over the years, and frankly I believe it all comes down to preference. If you like a particular shotgun for the way it feels, points, and reacts to your manipulation, then you'll do well with it. If you don't, then not so much.

Having said that, my Mentor, a man that started me in the Trap shooting game, and a very fine Gunsmith, looked me straight in the eye when I asked and he said for the money, it was difficult to beat a Beretta. I took his advice to heart. I'm not a wealthy man, and over the years I've struggled to fund my Gun account with enough money to buy the finer examples, but my meager stable includes the following.

My first Beretta, was a NIB White Onyx that had a "Milky Finish" so the gun dealer made me a hell of a deal on it. 12 ga, 28" tubes, and has smacked everything from doves to Huns and Roosters in between. I just like the way a stack barrel points. Wish I had found a way to buy the Silver Pigeon 20 ga. I always wanted, but as I'm getting into the twilight years of my hunting, doesn't seem likely now.

When I was spending a lot of time in the Dakotas with a good friend and hunting Pheasant on big farms, you needed a semi to keep up with the farm boys as they meant business! I purchased a well used Beretta Silver Mallard. Still have it. Used it for Birds and Sporting clays and also filled in for Predator hunting. I also had a Gold Mallard, which I foolishly sold many years ago. But it was too pretty to hunt with the Gold inlays and all.....

I also believe a man should have on truly beautiful shotgun in his life. Mine is a Beretta Silverhawk .20 ga. SxS, 28" tubes and chokes. Sweet, light pointing little double that I have carried for Grouse and Tree Rats.

I have a Benelli M2 tactical that does the heavy lifting for the Varmints, both two legged and Four. Pistol gripped, ghost ring sights, and with screw in chokes.....#4 Buck is an amazing killer to 60 yards!
Add in a beater Mossberg 500 as an all around and loner gun as well.

Last, but not least, is a Mossberg Shockwave in 12 ga. I spend a lot of time in areas frequented by snakes.....this little cannon rides in my truck all the time, ready to eliminate them at a moments notice......does quite well for it's intended purpose.

So, as I said, different guns, for different purposes. Works just fine for me....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kid0917
Once I decided on the switch I purchased three 1100’s well broken in. And, an NIB 1965 Browning Auto 5, Light Twelve.

Man, you don't play around!
I like that, in a gun owner/buyer.

smile

As Winston Churchill said, “Seldom in doubt.”

Knew I had an Auto 5 available to me.So, I bought the 1100’s to assess them.

I just snagged another one, an 1100LT in 20 ga with smooth slug barrel. smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Smart!

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
always wanted an 1100 LT 20, I can search up a non-rifle-sighted barrel and be ready for full action mode!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What?

No love for the Franchi 48? shocked

I shot a few over the years, many years, but never owned one until a couple of seasons ago when I was cruising Gunbroker. I have autoloaders of other flavors, but I've grown to love this very light Browning clone. It points fast and has never failed to operate properly. I like simple...fewer problems.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by luv2safari
What?

No love for the Franchi 48? shocked

I shot a few over the years, many years, but never owned one until a couple of seasons ago when I was cruising Gunbroker. I have autoloaders of other flavors, but I've grown to love this very light Browning clone. It points fast and has never failed to operate properly. I like simple...fewer problems.

I've always wanted one of these. Congrats on a nice shotgun.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
dang..... now I am also wanting on of those "frenchie" guns, lol
heard a lot of good about them. as I get older, lighter is better too

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by woodmaster81
In contrast, the 1100 and 11-87s I owned were neat freaks. The 1100s........did not like to be dirty.

The only thing I enjoy more than hunting Squirrels is cleaning my shotgun squeaky clean after a hunt session. So, if my 1100's or Auto 5's are finicky I have never noticed it.

Originally Posted by woodmaster81
Needing to be clean....... Chaff, dirt, and other field debris did not help either. I don't regret that in the least.

I have had several occasions when my trusted 870 action locked up hard on me during a hunt because some dirt & grit made its way into the chamber. I have seen Milo, chaff, feathers, blood, etc. in the action of the 870 & it ran just fine. I'm telling you that when the action locked I had to beat the butt against a tree trunk to make it come loose. That has happened more than once.

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by frogman43
I've seen and handled many fine smoothbore's over the years, and frankly I believe it all comes down to preference. If you like a particular shotgun for the way it feels, points, and reacts to your manipulation, then you'll do well with it. If you don't, then not so much.

My first shotgun was a S&W 1500 in 1983. It was a beautiful gun but clunky for me. I soon "traded up" to an 870 Special Purpose, the first of its kind in 1991.Me & that 870 spent many hours together, Squirrels & Dove aplenty. It feels, points & reacts like you said. It is a trusted friend.

F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
The only issue I ever had with an 1100 was one that had sat for a year or two, and I failed to wipe down the mag tube after shooting. A light coat of oil, plus some mild powder fouling, had turned into a sticky mess and turned it into a single shot.

A quick wipedown fixed the issue.

Benelli’s are nice, but 3x the price. If you can’t be bothered with a 15 second wipedown of the mag tube, then get the Benelli.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
746 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 72 invisible), 2,959 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,764
Posts18,401,436
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.