Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
AHM Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
also might Check out "big sky international" ...... I have a 2P Revolution... has vestibules on both sides and is a common design by other mfg's as well (copied?)..... (honestly it's a fantastic 1 person tent.... but for 2 dudes who aren't snuggling, get a 3P).... for weight though, an awesome tent I bought for myself as a 1P. ... But hey, what happens in the back country ..... maybe this one works for y'all?

GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Bumping this back up, as I recently became aware that I need a 2 person 4 season backpacking tent.

Looking hard at the MSR Access 2... anyone used one? Available locally, ungodly expensive for what it is, but it also...

-Doesn't appear to be dependent on stakes to stay upright (Hilleberg)
-Isn't a Big Agnes. Sorry fans, I just can't get on that train.
-Has 2 doors and 2 (tiny) vestibules-
-Has almost enough room for a normal sized human to sit up and maybe even get into/out of a bag?
-Not crazy heavy.
-Mostly mesh free inner tent.
-For what I want this tent for, we're normally 1-2K above timberline. I'm not looking at anything with a stove, because there is nothing to burn.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Your list eliminates an awful lot!

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
OP, mentions both himself and his hunting partners (s), as if it is for an already planed trip with at least 3 persons... get as large a tent of high quality as you can afford and split the load.

Phil

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Try the MSR, Huba Huba. I love mine. It holds up to wind and moderate snow. Not as lite as some but a great hiking tent. I used it on the Pinhote Trail, Alabama and Georgia for 18 days. I used the two person model. Plenty of room and as comfortable as a backpack tent can be.

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

Good point. Maybe I'm trying to talk myself into this particular tent....
I like the Hillebergs, but I'd prefer a more freestanding design. I seem to break every BA item that I touch, so not going to go that route.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by Tanner
Warm weather for a solo hunt or if a hunting buddy doesn’t mind a small tent I use a Big Agnes Fly Creek 2.

Yep me too; 13 yo daughter & I fit in just fine. Lots of vestibule space.

Only thing I dislike is inability to set it up fly-less during heat of summer.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
What do you think about Eureka 3-4 season 3 person tents? Looks a very good design with lateral openings and good vestibules each side.This one:

https://eurekacamping.johnsonoutdoors.com/tents/backpacking/mountain-pass-3-person-tent

Last edited by PatagoniaHunter; 08/13/20.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by cwh2
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

Good point. Maybe I'm trying to talk myself into this particular tent....
I like the Hillebergs, but I'd prefer a more freestanding design. I seem to break every BA item that I touch, so not going to go that route.

Not a fan of BA as well, I have zero issues with Hilleberg

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Check this out. It's a 4-season, 2 person tent with 2 doors and 2 vestibules that weighs about 5#.

Kuiu Storm Star 2p

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
^ I have the three season version- Mountain Star and it's a very nice shelter- quick to setup with the attached fly, nice vestibules and has stood up to some very nasty weather; I'm sure the Storm Star is more bomber yet

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by KC

Check this out. It's a 4-season, 2 person tent with 2 doors and 2 vestibules that weighs about 5#.

Kuiu Storm Star 2p

Looks good!

Having "too many" of every type of gear and firearms is the perfect justification of getting more!

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Anyone used the stone glacier skyscraper?

https://www.stoneglacier.com/products/skyscraper-2p-tent

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by PatagoniaHunter
What do you think about Eureka 3-4 season 3 person tents? Looks a very good design with lateral openings and good vestibules each side.This one:

https://eurekacamping.johnsonoutdoors.com/tents/backpacking/mountain-pass-3-person-tent

I have an older version but similar Eureka tent that I use a lot. 6 pounds total weight with stakes and footprint for a 2 person, but it's dam near bomb proof and has lasted many years. The inner is 75% solid and the fly is well made. I've used it in November in NY, but not in any real snow. I've looked at others but until this one fails me I can't see paying the premium to save 2 pounds. $300+ for Eureka seems expensive but I'm betting you could find it much cheaper on line. I may be biased though. I still have my Timberline from when I was in Scouts 40+ years ago.

Last edited by bbassi; 08/18/20.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Thank you bbassi,

I agree. Having see the prices, the specifications and the reports, the Eureka Mountain Pass 3 p 3-4 season tent is, to me, a real challenger for a 1st place.
Thank you!

PH

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by KC

Kuiu Storm Star 2p

It pains me a little to say it, but that does look pretty interesting. That Eureka looks pretty slick for a 3 person tent too.

I'd like to hear first hand reports on the Skyscraper.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by PatagoniaHunter

I have a Kelty (Trail Ridge 3) that’s almost identical to that which I got on EBay for an insane price too low to pass up even tho I didn’t need it. My buddy & his 2 daughters are taking it up to Grand Island this weekend for its first trip.

It’s a genuine 3-person and looks like a genuine 4-season as well but it’s weight is significant tho divided between 2 or 3 people it’d be well worth it.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

Some years ago I bought a Hilleberg UNA followed by a Hilleberg Allack. That pretty well stopped my looking at tents. Both have been used in all kinds of conditions both here in the West as well as Alaska and Canada.

The UNA is a 1 Man + tent that works for me, my dog, and backpack. While in Alaska it withstood almost hurricane force winds w/o any problems. My friends has to line the INSIDE of their tens with rocks to keep them from blowing away.

The Allak is a two man with dual vestibules. Strong and luxury for one person and still plenty of room for 2.

Lots of good tents out there but I am satisfied will my Hilleberg's.

Lefty

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
You guys got me. Big Agnes Fly Creek headed my way.

R
R
Try Tarptent. My wife and I have used a Scarp 2 for several years in Alaska. I also have Moment DW, as a single, but haven’t had it out yet.

Last edited by Redlander; 08/29/20.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (12344mag, 16penny, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 06hunter59, 53 invisible), 2,505 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,242
Posts18,466,847
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.