Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Just curious about the pros and cons for these two different breeds for upland game and a bit of waterfowl.

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
No idea where you'd find a good Vizsla but I've seen a few that were really nice dog's. Well kept secret I think. Really easy to find a good GSP. Never worked with a Vizsla, friend had one and it was a super dog. I suspect they both take training about the same forgiving of handler mistakes, GSP's are really good about that. As for what they hunt, I'd say they both hunt the same thing's. Had a lot of Shorthairs, not so good for waterfowl in really cold weather! Be a lot easier to find GSP pup's also, they are every where. One of my favorite breed's

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
The significant difference between the breeds is the length of their tails.

They will perform much the same in the uplands with a greater difference between individual dogs than breeds.

They will handle waterfowl equally too with differences between dogs more significant than breeds. I don't consider either to be candidates for big water divers but for the overwhelming number of combo Hunter's either will be fine.

GSPs can be easily found but that also means one has to research the backgrounds better to get a decent chance at a good dog. Vizslas are less common and the breeders tend to be more discriminating as a whole. The three Vizsla breeders I know have waiting lists in excess of 3 years after the prospective owner successfully concluded a questionnaire and interview.

For either breed, I think the North American Versatile Hunting Dog club would be a good place to start and likely finish your search. They have a pretty large registry and their testing is geared towards the Hunter for the most part.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I love GSPs but a well-bred pup from either breed will bring you years of joy in the field if you do your part.

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Trained, tested and hunted over both. Depending on breeding, both can be excellent choices for you. If I were to define any general differences I've experienced is that the Vizsla has been a little "softer" to me in regards to training pressure.

IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Male Vizlas seem "goofier" to me when they are young.
GSPs seem like they are all business from the day they are born.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Both great breeds and close cousins to the also great Weims. Major differences are color and frame size. Each are capable hunters. I agree that Vizlas are the softer of the bunch. You can easily cower and/or wreck one with your voice. MY vizla just turned 12 and velcro dog description applies, great companion. She was phenomenally athletic in her younger days and showed a great nose.
I really like all 3 breeds, but owned more brittanies over the years.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Will add that the mid-Pennsylvania Mennonite puppy mills have discovered Viszlas. Many of the puppies they are selling are prone to illness and/or mental issues.
In other words, genetically dorked.
Many of these end up in rescue shelters or with exorbitant vet bills that often result in a disappointing partner cuz often these problems can't be fixed. A heart breaking situation!
My message is simply vet your breeder.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Just cut to the chase and get a Wirehaired Pointer grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
...You mean, Wirehaired Pointing Griffon...

Best of everything!

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by fishdog52
Will add that the mid-Pennsylvania Mennonite puppy mills have discovered Viszlas. Many of the puppies they are selling are prone to illness and/or mental issues.
In other words, genetically dorked.
Many of these end up in rescue shelters or with exorbitant vet bills that often result in a disappointing partner cuz often these problems can't be fixed. A heart breaking situation!
My message is simply vet your breeder.

plus one on this. These puppy mills are doing a lot of damage to the real gun dog breeds. Be very very careful.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Drahthaar. Thank me later. Seriously though, lot of great breeds out there. But big drahthaar fan for sure.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Owned both gsp's and vizslas. I think generally the gsp ( with good breeding) a bit better, heartier bird dog.I think vizslas are very good bird dogs and better in general household pets than gsp's . Cant say either is top pick for waterfowl though due to coat length etc.

F
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
F
Ok I looked at these two Breeds years ago for the same thing you are looking at I ended up getting a Brock.

he Braque du Bourbonnais (pronounced brock-do-bor-bon-nay) is a breed which dates
back to the late 1500’s in France. The word Braque is derived from a French verb, which
means to aim or point. It can also be translated as pointer. The breed can be found in
the pages of French literature and was known for its amazing hunting instincts. It is
thought that the Braque du Bourbonnais originated from the early Spanish pointer.
The name of French pointers reflects the region where they were developed. This
pointer, the Braque du Bourbonnais is from the Province of Bourbon, a region of central
France

The breeder was Cactus Kennel out of Arizona great people Mary and Larry are top notch people.

This is Tazz my Mutt at a rendezvous of Brocks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XJFskSzMxA

He is the best hunting dog I ever worked with.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
All things being equal breeding wise from what I have seen after hunting over a bunch of both, The Vizslas is a better pure pointer and the GSP is the better all around hunting dog.

I would take a French Brittany over either. My FB was a natural retriever and loved the water. Cold weather and water did not phase him one bit. They have the energy to run with big dog's, though they are naturally close working dogs. I ran mine along side my Elhew EP and he would range farther of course. All the FB's I have hunted over had high heads! I am guessing I have hunted over at least 15. In fairness I wouldn't hunt them in big water so sea ducks and divers are pretty much out. If you hunt divers in calmer water it would be no problem. They will surely steal your heart, that I can assure you! They are a SOFT dog, so if you have a temper or are a heavy hand they are not a breed for you.

I have a friend that runs Vizslas both in the Field and in Field Trials. I will openly admit that I am bias to EP's and ES's! But her dogs are top notch and have made me a believer in the breed. I also got a chance to run behind some Vizslas's in Hungray while I was working in Slovakia. I did not hunt but was afield with them hunting. They are great dogs when properly bred. They are a SOFT dog, so if you have a temper or are a heavy hand they are not a breed for you.

GSP's Arguably the greatest versatile hunting breed. I have hunted over some very nice dogs with high heads. Unfortunately the majority of the GSP's I have hunted over did not have high heads. To a lot of guys that doesn't matter. And I agree overall it's not that big of a deal. But I love high heads. I don't think the GSP as a whole does anything great outside of being your best friend! However they are a solid hunting dog with many skills. It will be up to you or your trainer to develop those skills. Maybe I am wrong on this but from my experience hunting over GSP's the smaller framed dogs are the ones that seem to have high heads and seem to me have more drive.

I agree with 30338 the very limited Drahthaar's I have hunted over (I believe 3) were exceptional versatile hunting dog's! I think if I were looking for a Versatile Hunting Breed that is what I would go with. I just can't say they are better than GSP's due to the limited number of dogs I have hunted over.

What matters in the end isn't what anyone of us thinks, it's what floats your boat. Do your research on breeders, check references and I mean actually call them! Make a list of questions before hand. I honestly believe that with the right properly bred dog, training, and hunting any of the hunting breeds will get the job done. Some will excel in one area that others may or may not and vise versa. All will steal your heart I can promise you.

Last thing, it is a big commitment and expense. No dog is going to be great without continued training and hunting. Good Luck and keep us posted.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Beautiful Looking Dog Fair_Chase

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Beautiful GSP. All legs and nose it looks like.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ah thanks. He is a good one. Almost 5 yo. Pic by the water does make him look extra tall but I think it's the angle of the shot. He is legs and lungs though.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (1eyedmule, 007FJ, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 54 invisible), 2,686 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,566
Posts18,453,797
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.