Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
https://terriermandotcom.blogspot.c...DIpGK8r098mD_CzKgR8BNqicMrzQOu0vDlroGiwc

PLEASE ACTUALLY READ THIS POST
BEFORE YOU START TO WRITE ABOUT WHAT YOU *THINK* IT SAYS:

Almost everything you have been told and taught about heartworm is probably an exaggeration or an outright lie, and this misinformation is probably costing you more money than it needs to.

Here's the truth:

Heartworm is not a canine pandemic.
In fact, heartworm is pretty rare in much of the country, and in very cold areas of the country a veterinarian may go his or her entire career without seeing a single case. Look at the map, above, put out by a major vendor of heartworm tests (Idexx) who has every reason in the world to overstate (rather than to understate) the problem. You will notice how low the baseline state numbers are -- 500 cases is the top of the color scale -- and that this map covers seven years of data collecting. You will also note that this map does not show adult heartworm infestation in dogs, but simply the number of dogs that tested positive for heartworm. More on that important distinction in a minute.
. . . . Data on heartworm incidence rates at the local level reinforces how rare heart worm really is. For example, on the map above, California is coded red-hot with 500 cases. And yet, when a total of 4,350 dogs in 103 Los Angeles County cities coming from 21 participating animal hospitals were tested, only 18 heartworm-positive tests turned up. And yet, veterinarians are training their staffs not to talk about heartworm tests and medications as an option, but as a need, and for this "needs to be given" message to be bombarded on the customer 3-5 times per office visit.
Heartworm infection is NOT rapid and will not kill your dog overnight.
It takes about three months for microfilaria (baby worms) to grow inside your dog to a larval stage, and even longer for these larva to mature into adult heartworms. If your dog is dosed with a simple Ivermectin treatment at any time during this period before adult worms are present (a period that lasts about three months long), the larvae will never develop into adult worms, and will die. Read that statement again: a single dose of Ivermectin will stop heartworm dead up to 3 months after your dog is first infected.
In most of the country, only seasonal heatworm "prevention" is needed.
The short story here is that heartworm is a kind of nematode (dirofilaria immitis) spread by mosquitoes (and only by mosquitoes). The lifecycle of the nematode involves six stages, and a dog can get infected with heartworm only if two of these stages are fully completed inside the body of the mosquito, and those stages can only be completed inside the body of the mosquito if the temperature stays above 57 degrees for at least 45 days straight, both day and night. If the temperature drops below 57 degrees even once during that 45-day period, the lifecycle of the nematode is broken, and heartworm cannot be transmitted to your dog. What this means, in simple terms, is that a year-round program of Heartgard (sometimes spelled 'Heartguard") or some other "preventative" medicine is NOT needed in most of the country outside of Florida, the Rio Grande Valley of Texas.
. . . . . Look carefully at the maps below (click to enlarge). These maps come from “Seasonal Timing of Heartworm Chemoprophylaxis in the United States” by Dr. David Knight and James Lok of the American Heartworm Society. Find your area on the map, and begin heartworm treatment on the first day of the month noted in Map A, and end treatment on the first day of the month noted in Map B. In short, if you are living in Virginia, you would begin treating your dog June 1st (top map) and end treatment on December 1st (bottom map).
. . . . . This is a very aggressive treatment schedule -- more active than is really needed. After all, if heartworm larvae gets into your dog on June 1st, they will have NO IMPACT on your dog for months and months. In fact, if you are in Virginia simply treating your dog with Ivermectin (Heartgard) on September 1st and again on December 1st will give 100 percent heartworm protection for your dog. Even in areas where heartworm is a year-round vexation (Florida and the Rio Grande Valley of Texas), a once-every-three-months dose of Ivermectin will give your dog 100% protection.

(click on maps to enlarge)
Maps created by DH Knight and JB Lok

There is no "preventive" medicine for Heartworm.
Despite what your veterinarian may have told you, there is NO "prevention" for heartworm infection; there is only heartworm treatment. ALL heartworm medicines work the same way -- they kill heartworm microfilaria present in the body of the dog.
Heartworm "prevention" medicines are actually toxins.
The drugs used to kill heartworm microfilaria are Ivermectin (Heartgard, Heartgard Plus, Iverhart, Merial and Verbac) or Milbemycin (Interceptor, Safeheart, Sentinal and Norvartis). Both drugs are nematode poisons, and in both cases a single dose will kill all microfilarial infection that occurred up to 90 days earlier (i.e. all Stage 3, 4 and young Stage 5 heartworm infections).
Humans cannot get heartworm.
Heartworm cannot be passed on to humans -- we are the wrong host animal. Very rarely a heartworm-positive mosquito will bite a human and a small benign cyst may develop in the lung of a human, but this is NOT heartworm, and can be best thought of as a tiny scar showing where a bit of microfilaria attached to the lung wall where it was killed off by the human body.
Some breeds are more sensitive to Ivermectin.
Some lines of collies and collie-crosses have sometimes fatal reactions to ivermectin, the most common heartworm preventative medicine. Though this is not common, and is even rarer today with low-dose Ivermectin such as Heartgard, and seems to only hold true for collies, serious thought needed to be given to dosing any collie, collie-cross, or herding dog with white feet. For these dogs, the safest heartworm medicine is Interceptor, though in fact the Heartgard box features a Border Collie on it face, and many working Border Collie folks dose their own dogs with a low dose of sheep drench 0.08% Ivermectin.
What about that wormy heart-in-a-jar at my vets office?
Most veterinarians have a "fear bottle" in their office which shows a canine heart riddled with spaghetti-like heartworms. Nothing generates cash like a heartworm fear bottle -- a veterinarian will often place one prominently in his or her office as a kind of cash-generating machine since one look will sell a heartworm test and year's worth of Heartgard, no questions asked. So where do these fear bottles come from? I've been told by a pharmaceutical sales representative that most of these wormy hearts in these jars come from stray animals killed in Mexico, and that the heart specimens themselves (often decades old) were given out by pharmaceutical company representatives when they first began selling Heartgard back in 1986. One thing for sure: today, you can got to Maine and find a wormy heart in a jar even though the local veterinarian has never even seen a dog with this problem in the last 20 years.
Do I have to go a veterinarian to get Ivermectin?
No. More on that in a second. Suffice it to say that it's not necessarily a bad thing to go to a vet for a prescription for Heartgard, especially if you are going to see your vet on another matter anyway. I would not buy Heartgard from the vet, however, without first checking prices online. Most vets price-gouge their customers by 100 percent or more for medicines sold in their offices, and in most states a veterinarian cannot charge you more for writing a prescription for a medically necessary medicine as part of an incidental visit. In addition, be aware that former executives from Merial, the maker of Heartgard, are now making a generic version of this product, PetTrust, that is considerably cheaper.
. . . . . Another cash-saving tip is to get a prescription for Heartgard for a dog twice the size of your dog, and then split the tablets in half. This trick results in considerable savings because the marginal cost between one Heartgard weight category and the next is often very slight despite the fact that one pill contains twice as much active ingredient as the next.
. . . . . Finally, remember that, depending on outside temperature, you do not have to dose your dog all year long in large parts of the U.S.
. . .Of course, if you want to dose your dog every month and do so cheaply and without going to a veterinarian for a prescription, there's a trick here too. Here it is: Order Ivermectin in a pre-mixed solution from J.R. Enterprises. The cost is $25 for a 65-cc bottle of .05% Ivermectin, which is enough to treat five 20-pound dogs for 26 months. J.R. Enterprises even throws in a measuring spoon! Since this Ivomec and polypropelene gylcol solution is not FDA-approved for dogs, they sell it for experimental purposes only. That said, it works fine, and this is exactly the kind of heartworm preventative medicine used on all dogs all across this country prior to the advent of Heartgard and "the billion-dollar heartworm scam" in 1986.
. . . . . .Finally, and if for no other reason that to explain how J.R. Enterprises does it, here's how you can treat a huge number of dogs with non-prescription Ivermectin for a dirt-cheap price. Whether this is cost-effective or not (and whether it is worth the trouble or not) really depends on how many dogs you have. In case you run a shelter, here's the scoop 1) Buy a 0.08 percent sheep drench online or at a feed store. Sheep drench is sold in various sized containers, but the smallest on Amazon is about $30 for 8 oz. This will be high-grade Ivermectin made by Merial, an established veterinary pharmaceutical company. You will be giving only a very small dose of this sheep drench to your dog. You dose by weight, and if you want to be very sure you have dosed enough, you can double the dose and the dog will be fine (but see the Collie warning at point #7).

* up to 14 pounds: 1 drop (0.05 cc)
* 15 to 29 pounds: 0.1 cc
* 30 to 58 pounds: 0.2 cc
* 59 to 88 pounds: 0.3 cc
* 89 to 117 pounds: 0.4 cc
* 118 to 147 pounds: 0.5 cc.
Do I need to have my dog tested for heartworm before starting Ivermectin?
Generally, no. Unless your dog is an older dog loaded with years of untreated heartworm (which you will know from the dog's long-term lethargy and chronic coughing), a dose of Ivermectin will not do your dog harm. A puppy, under six months of age, of course, will always test negative for heartworm because the microfilaria have not yet had a chance to develop and circulate. Testing a dog under age 6 months for heartworm is a common veterinary scam; do not fall for it!
Is curing heartworm expensive and difficult?
No it is not. Any veterinarian who tells you otherwise is not keeping up with the literature. It turns out that even if your dog has adult heartworms, if the dog otherwise appears healthy (i.e. it is active, not lethargic, and does not have a chronic cough), a monthly dosing of Ivermectin at a dosage normally used to kill roundworms (a dosage that is 3 times higher than that used to simply prevent heartworm), plus a once-a-month 5-day dosing of Doxycycline (sold as Bird Biotic, and the same antibiotic used to treat Lyme disease) will kill all the adult heartworms if it is sustained for a period of 18 months. This treatment works better than previous Ivermectin-only treatments because the Doxycline wipes out the Wolbachia microbe that grow in the gut of the adult heartworm, essentially sterilizing all of the female heartworms. A round-worm strength dosing of monthly Ivermectin will not only prevent new heartworm microfilaria from taking hold in your dog, it will also work to dramatically shorten the life of any existing adult worms in your dog. Bottom line: after 18 months of treatment, your dog will be heartworm-free at very little cost compared to other remedies.
. . . . . A repeated caution, however: if you have border collies or herding dogs with white feet that also appear to have full-blown heartworm, consult a veterinarian, as some lines of collies are very susceptible to Ivermectin toxicity. This is very rare, and the cause is unknown, but it is an area of concern among collies and collie-crosses.

PLEASE BE ADVISED THAT I WILL NOT ANSWER QUESTIONS ABOUT DOSING YOUR DOG. If you are too lazy to read this post or too confused and wrapped around your own axle to follow simple directions, I cannot help you. Please go to a veterinarian.
Related Posts:
** Rimadyl: Relief From a Swollen Wall
** A Business Plan Based on Fencing Out the Truth
** Veterinary Billing Without Oversight or Regulation
** The Billion Dollar Lyme Disease Scam
** Lyme Disease: Hard to Catch and Easy to Halt
** Veterinary Trades Say It's Time to Rip-off the Rubes
** Is Your Veterinarian Clean? Don't Count On It
** A Season to Everything
** Cruciate Ligament Injuries in Dogs
** Vet Pricing Has Nothing To Do With Care

Do I need to have my dog tested for heartworm before starting Ivermectin?
Generally, no. Unless your dog is an older dog loaded with years of untreated heartworm (which you will know from the dog's long-term lethargy and chronic coughing), a dose of Ivermectin will not do your dog harm. A puppy, under six months of age, of course, will always test negative for heartworm because the microfilaria have not yet had a chance to develop and circulate. Testing a dog under age 6 months for heartworm is a common veterinary scam; do not fall for it!
Is curing heartworm expensive and difficult?
No it is not. Any veterinarian who tells you otherwise is not keeping up with the literature. It turns out that even if your dog has adult heartworms, if the dog otherwise appears healthy (i.e. it is active, not lethargic, and does not have a chronic cough), a monthly dosing of Ivermectin at a dosage normally used to kill roundworms (a dosage that is 3 times higher than that used to simply prevent heartworm), plus a once-a-month 5-day dosing of Doxycycline (sold as Bird Biotic, and the same antibiotic used to treat Lyme disease) will kill all the adult heartworms if it is sustained for a period of 18 months. This treatment works better than previous Ivermectin-only treatments because the Doxycline wipes out the Wolbachia microbe that grow in the gut of the adult heartworm, essentially sterilizing all of the female heartworms. A round-worm strength dosing of monthly Ivermectin will not only prevent new heartworm microfilaria from taking hold in your dog, it will also work to dramatically shorten the life of any existing adult worms in your dog. Bottom line: after 18 months of treatment, your dog will be heartworm-free at very little cost compared to other remedies.
. . . . . A repeated caution, however: if you have border collies or herding dogs with white feet that also appear to have full-blown heartworm, consult a veterinarian, as some lines of collies are very susceptible to Ivermectin toxicity. This is very rare, and the cause is unknown, but it is an area of concern among collies and collie-crosses.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Seems like every stray picked up in this area has heartworms .

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Two different vets in this area have assured me that we have no reason to test for or treat for heart worm.

I guess we are blessed with honest vets in this valley.

That said, back in the old days on the farm, the horses got dewormed with Ivermectin paste. And the dogs got a taste of the paste appropriate to their weight.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My old dog, Buster grew up in the mountains and colder climates, so I never even considered treating him for heartworms.

After moving down here, he had to undergo the testing for heartworms. It came up negative of course.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for sharing that. I've known that vets over treat for heart worm and will not give a prescription for it if the dog hasn't been on year around treatment without first requiring a blood test. ( more $ )

Before I knew about heart worm I lost a good Keeshhond to it. Buy the time I noticed any thing was wrong it was too late. I was in West Texas at the time and mosquitos were thick.

Rabies shots are also over required. Most vacations protect the dog for three years but they are required every year by some city ordinances.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I have never given my dogs heartworm prevention. I alao don't live next to a tire dump either.

I don't get "regular vaccinations" either.

I WILL DO the parvo combo series when they're pups but I get that from the farmers' co op and do it myself. Then no more repeats after that.

Only time I get my dogs' rabies is when I'm forced to do it upon any vet visit.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Where I live an untreated outdoor dog will shows signs of heartworms at age 2 and be dying at age 5. We have a warm climate and lots a mosquitoes and coyotes. I have used ivermectin every 2 to 3 months and put an end to that issue. It is not a listed application on the cattle wormer but apparently it works. My Labs vet assured me that he had heart worms because he was up on the exam table panting (he was nervous). I offered to bet her however much she wanted to bet but she declined. After looking at his blood under a microscope she still insisted he was infected and I allowed her to do an antibody test which was also negative.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Recently had a vet scam me on the heartworm crap. I took my Catahoula pup to her to be spayed, she insisted to do a heartworm test which she said came up positive but could find no "babies" in the dogs blood. The dog was 14 months old in April and I asked how there could be adult worms if there were no microfilia? She says she won't spay the dog until she is heartworm free and bring her back after she has been on Heartgard for 6 months and she will test her again. So I took the dog to another vet to be tested for heartworms after the dog came out of heat in late April, no heartworms but I had to deal with the dog going into heat again in late September/early October. She was nearly bred by a loose dog but thankfully I got there in time to stop that BS! The first vet wanted me to pay her $700. for the cure which includes a three day stay at the vets, not sure exactly what they do there.

Last edited by rickt300; 10/26/19.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I live in Georgia, 20+ years ago, I had a lab die of heart worm.. I have several friends who live in the country, they ALL have had stray dogs die on their place from heart worms.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
One more hateful aspect of living in Florida. My first dog, King died of heartworms when I lived in Miami, even though he was treated. My SIL's dog also had them but was caught early and he survived the treatment. I don't know, but our two Aussies, even though the have long hair, get the treatment.. Edited to add from the article: NOT needed in most of the country outside of f u c k i n g Florida,

Last edited by jorgeI; 10/26/19.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by ironbender

Thanks

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
YOu are also against childhood vaccination, aren't you?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Interesting, thanks.

Heaven has a wall, a gate and strict immigration policy.

Hell has open borders.

Let that sink in.....

I Live for Opening Day!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mogwai

I feel the same way. Ivermectin and pyrantel once a month is the least I can do for my buddies. Eliminates common parasitic worms too.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Seriously, in the 21st Century???

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Even the honest vets have to get on board because the word is out, and every other vet is doing the heart worm scare. I only treat my dog from late April to September mainly because my wife wants me to.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I treat my mutt from April through November. There are no mosquitoes in January so it would be impossible to catch this disease.
And then, I treat them every six weeks not once a month.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

no

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I had Pointers for 25 years, treated them with Ivermectin, never had heart 🐛 worms.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (1lessdog, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 1234, 61 invisible), 2,765 guests, and 1,174 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,341
Posts18,468,725
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.