Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I've got a Berreta Loveless-designed drop point. The blade is hollow ground. Any idea what sharpening angle(s) I should use?

GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
18-20 degrees

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Somewhere between 15* - 20* depending upon blade specs and intended uses.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
AUS-8 at 58ish.

I'd profile to 20* on the Sharpmaker with the Medium ceramics, then switch to the Fine to finish.
Thereafter a few swipes as needed will maintain it as good as anything.

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Thanks, I will be using my Smith's #50281 electric sharpener (recommended by Eileen at Rifles and Recipes) where I can dial in the angles. Or is it an unspeakably tenderfoot thing to sharpen anything that says "Loveless" on the blade with a power sharpener?

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
For me, kitchen knives 15*, hunting knives 20*... but having said that, I think way too much is made out of blade angle. Having a SHARP knife is the main thing.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steven60
Thanks, I will be using my Smith's #50281 electric sharpener (recommended by Eileen at Rifles and Recipes) where I can dial in the angles. Or is it an unspeakably tenderfoot thing to sharpen anything that says "Loveless" on the blade with a power sharpener?

It's not an actual Loveless, so I wouldn't worry about that. However with that said, no way I'd use an electric grinder on my knives.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MOGC
no way I'd use an electric grinder on my knives.

Man, ain’t that the truth...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
[/quote]It's not an actual Loveless, so I wouldn't worry about that. However with that said, no way I'd use an electric grinder on my knives.[/quote]

I used a Lansky for a while. The stones fill up with steel particles pretty quickly and I can't seem to get them back to their original cutting capability. The Lansky stones just don't seem to cut modern steels. I'm willing to re-learn sharpening by hand, if I could find a system that would let me control the angles and wouldn't take forever to put an edge on a blade, if for no other reason than I like doing things manually. The Lansky set now sits in a drawer and collects dust, at least till I donate it to the second-hand store. Why are power sharpeners bad and what's a good manual system?

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Nothing wrong with the Lansky or their stones. That IS a good manual system.
My nephew uses one a lot.

I use and Edge Pro instead, but the stones are not that different.

I clean my stones with water with some dish soap in it and a toothbrush.
You can float the crud out that way.

With oil stones you can float the crud out with light oil like WD 40,.

Modern steels are no problem for Lansky (or any decent) stones. You must keep the stones
clean and fresh no matter what material and method you use.

You may be a candidate for the Original Work Sharp, but it has its own idiosyncracies also.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
IC B3

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by michiganroadkill
You must keep the stones
clean and fresh no matter what material and method you use.

I completely agree. The only problem is that I can't get the stones clean. I used the Lansky oil per the instructions and cleaned them with Dawn (soaking for several hours) and scrubbing them with Scotchbrite pads, but the glaze just won't come off. I will give WD-40 a try I guess.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
How long did those stones get used without clean off?????

Try freshening up the stones surface with some fresh sand paper, say 80 grit or so.

Then use water with Dawn and scrub with a toothbrush. Once clean keep clean from blade to blade.

I would not use WD40 unless I was going to stay with oil. Otherwise stay with water and clean stones.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
These are great knives.

Grab one if you can...

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by michiganroadkill
Try freshening up the stones surface with some fresh sand paper, say 80 grit or so.

Then use water with Dawn and scrub with a toothbrush. Once clean keep clean from blade to blade.

Thank you; I will try that.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by add
These are great knives.

Grab one if you can...

+1

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 21, 73 invisible), 2,440 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,678
Posts18,456,284
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.